Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:56 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,868 times

Advertisements

I am 20 years old and I have lived in Richmond all my life. I'm starting to notice how all the good stuff just passes this place by. If you're into nursing or something like BioTech I could assume that would be your only reason to live in Richmond (Downtown) area if you plan to build a future here. The city uses the excuse of it being "historic" to keep old rundown buildings and communities up. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/f33/sets/72157594219485415/ - broken link)What buildings they do finally decide to knock down after 30 years are turned into something for VCU or MCV.

People's attitudes here has got to be the nail in the coffin. No one here cares.. at all. Everyone has a negative attitude. I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels this way. This city constantly will remind you of it's dominance of the confederacy. Black, White, Mexican Asian.. They all are here but they NEVER mix. They will stay to their own with the exception of the younger crowds. This is even obvious with the city communities. Downtown and some of Varina is mainly white now, East End mainly Black and Chesterfield has seen a growth in Mexican population. You can not live in one place and get the feel of diversity at all. The nicest people I have met have moved here from elsewhere. My parents tell me how the community used to be a lot closer and a better put together city but it is very hard for me to imagine that from what I've seen.

The school system the past 2 years have been a joke, the mayor is a joke and over all this city has a serious budget problem. We never get the good concerts or events they go to Hampton Roads or DC. Our city is no where near what it could be as one of the founding cities of the COUNTRY. After all the money and taxes they still can't afford to do simple things like collect trash,put the proper amount of police in neighborhoods or have proper bus routes for children. They charge people the most insane fines for stupid things like speeding (first time offenders included originally), watering the grass (Then you're fined if your yard looks "too bad" if you do not water), you're charged if your garbage bin is on the curb earlier than 4 p.m. the day before collection. They must be removed by 7 a.m. the day after pick-up to avoid the fine.(I still have not figured this one out) and let's not forget regular taxes then they ********* out of your voting for the next US president. (http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S=8555692 - broken link)

Every week it's the same stuff on the news. I even noticed this from a young age. People argue there are tons to do here as a kid/teen or young adult. I would like to see a respectable list on exactly what that is. I have been to Science Museum of Virginia and other than the new iMax theatre they have the same stuff there from 1983. Schools like Varina High are over crowded to the point that even with FOUR separate bells students still can not fit in either cafeteria. A good number of them HAVE to go outside so their not elbow to elbow. This is due to the fact they are throwing houses up any and everywhere they can WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE SCHOOLS. Also Varina (Henrico County) is the only county.. or city within range to have students get laptop computers. But I'm sure this has nothing to do with the huge amount of money Varina/Highland Springs racks up year after year during the football season. Richmond City schools are lucky to have a computer LAB.

I could go on and on and on but I just wanted to know who else here had this same feeling. Maybe it is just me. Maybe it is because I'm so young, I'm not sure but I have always found this city SERIOUSLY boring. I realize NOW the city has rezoning projects and reconstruction projects.. but not only do I doubt it will ever fall through but I've heard this so many times before. Look at the Richmond Coliseum. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0e/Richmond_Coliseum.jpg - broken link) Why can't we have a respectable building like the MCI/Verizon center? Why can't we have decent roads? Why can't we have decent docks for boats? We've lost more than we've gained as far as sports alone. There is nothing appealing here at all.

I've talked to my friends about this in class and we all agree. History is only so entertaining I'm sick of people using it as an excuse as something "to do" not everyone is in to it especially teenagers. I feel if something is not done either this city will take off mainly do to VCU/MCV research (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-06-11-0094.html - broken link)and the Bio-Tech explosion or it will continue to be a rundown wasteland as the youth migrates to DC.. Raleigh.. or even Hampton Roads for a more appealing & vibrant life. I hope the city of Richmond can see the light at some point and embrace diversity, change and the next generations.

I have provided links for what I could find so this does not appear as a "rant" it is fact and you have the links for proof. I'm sorry but to the people who are considering moving here please read this. This is NOT a friendly city by any means. I'm sick of the god reviews this place gets no one wants to be honest. You can read this and take it in or move her and be an outcast. No one here cares about any one. Don't expect to blend in. The only people that will tell you that this is a great place (FOR JOBS) people in the business/stock industry, people in the medical field, people who love NASCAR, trailers and smokin' finally the one group that out sizes all of that.. Historians. Even then most of them commute. I had to get that of my chest and if you are moving here by choice do a search here, do a search on google. See how many people love it for the kind neighbors, clean streets and awesome community.

Last edited by Anders15; 08-02-2008 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:40 PM

13 posts, read 60,334 times
While I'm sure that many of your points are valid, note that one's opinion of the place they grew up (especially if they live in one place all their life) is often very different than the opinions of those that are non-natives or newcomers. I wouldn't recommend my hometown in Ohio to most people (for very similar reasons to yours) though lots and lots of people find it to be a wonderful place to live.

Every place will have it's good with its bad... but it seems, (from my 'outsiders' perspective) that Richmond has A LOT to offer... much much more than the middle of nowhere Illinois where I am now. It all depends on what you're comparing Richmond to, I suppose. If you compare it to DC and New York City for cultural events and diversity, I imagine you'd come up rather disappointed. Though if you compared traffic patterns, I imagine Richmond wins.

Sounds to me like you should explore other options than living in Richmond. Never hurts to broaden one's horizon, and you might find some city that you love. I promise that there will be people wherever you end up that feel the same way about that city as you do about yours. The old adage 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' comes to mind.

My intent is not to demean or belittle you in any way, so I really hope my comments are useful and not offensive in any way. Good luck with finding your place in this world.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 AM

161 posts, read 696,987 times
I moved to Richmond 5 years ago and I have liked it less and less every year. This is not the place I want to be living this time enxt year. People here are fake friendly. I've never seen so many friends come and go. They get what they want and then leave you like nothing. I am from the NE and was hoping for some southern hospitality here...NONE! My biggest mistake in like was not moving away from here ALOT sooner. Sorry for the rant, the home prices are great and the lack of traffic are great but plz. I personally want out!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:58 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,192 times
Oh boy...well I am not sure if you are referring to a particular area (you mention Varina a few times) but when I lived in the west end near Short Pump I was really pleased and I spent a lot of time down town and my group of friends were diverse. After that I moved to Fredericksburg, VA and now I am in Maryland. I can tell you that the people in the west end are much friendlier than northern VA, DC, MD folks overall. I come down to Richmond periodically to visit and I notice how cars actually let you merge in traffic - HERE you can FORGET IT! You cannot put your signal on or they will speed up and refuse to let you over. It's insane. Also when crossing the streets in parking lots of stores, cars will wave you across. HERE - they will almost run you over even if you are in a cross walk. The cashiers in the stores are nicer there. The people have an overall more southern attitude. This is all just what I have observed and I am not saying you are wrong by any means if that's how you feel, but you may not realize just how bad people are in other areas or how much nicer they may be in other areas. I always liked the west end ok but it wasn't until moving and observing other areas that I really miss it now and going back there for visits confirms just how much nicer it is than anywhere near DC.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 118,786 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxotaur View Post
Every place will have it's good with its bad... but it seems, (from my 'outsiders' perspective) that Richmond has A LOT to offer... much much more than the middle of nowhere Illinois where I am now. It all depends on what you're comparing Richmond to, I suppose. If you compare it to DC and New York City for cultural events and diversity, I imagine you'd come up rather disappointed. Though if you compared traffic patterns, I imagine Richmond wins.
I am also out in Illinois (feels like the middle of nowhere to me) after moving from Richmond. I miss all of the amenities and things to do in Richmond. We lived in the West End but also enjoyed going downtown for various events and restaurants. I thought there was alot to do and loved the history.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 39,541 times
Wink I know how you feel

Ron Maverick, calm down a little. I know exactly how you feel, I feel it about Philadelphia. Reading your post was like listening to myself. And I'm 30 years old!!! I've lived here all my life and it's run down and ugly everywhere ONLY the tourists think it's great. Meanwhile I live in a neighborhood with no trees or grass! Vacant lots are loaded with glass not grass. It's very ugly and quite depressing. I joined an anxiety group online and I try not to look outside my windows anymore. I love daylight but I can't take the eyesore.
It's OK for you to vent and feel the way you do. And it likely won't change either, it hasn't for me instead the feeling has only gotten stronger. Sure it's a great place to visit if you're into that kind of thing, but to live here - NO.
I believe this to be true of all the major cities in America.

I'm sorry you feel so bad. And because I am mature enough to know that major cities are pretty much all the same I am looking to relocate to Virginia but nowhere near Richmond.
I want to live where the beaches are clean but I can't afford to live in Florida or Alabama and I'm not sure I could move so far away and adapt to lifestyle, people, traditions, costs, etc.

I would like to live in a small city or suburb where I can adapt to the southern people and their traditions. I need to live where people have manners and respect and I believe the southerners still honor that. So while I may not be completely accepted by all people because prejudice is everywhere but I hope to be accepted for the most part.

I think you should make plans to follow a good career path and be positive about relocating to an area that isn't a major city. I wish I would have been able to do this years ago. For now I feel like I've wasted so much time.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,868 times
If by amenities you mean Ukrops then I could understand that. I'm also sure age is relevant. I've lived in Mechanicsville, Southside, Faifield Court and Henrico/Varina/Highland Springs area. What I've seen in my 20 years of experience here a lot of people are phony. From "thugs" to being wanna be first class stuck ups. I realize every city has their problems but only Richmond right now has the mayor suing the school board, the voters suing the state along with many other questionable incidents that should not be happening. (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-05-14-0165.html - broken link)

That is why I talked about Varina areas. If people just did their jobs for once in this city we could have nice things. Kids can have laptops, have a modern Mathematics & Science Center, have uniforms for gym the same stuff as county kids. But someone is always stealing city money or making poor decisions. Laburnum is getting a new mall.. but guess what they also will no longer be under "Richmond" (http://www.richmond.com/news-features/24565 - broken link) so there goes that for city assistance. They are now building very expensive luxury condos.. I'm guessing for the Fortune 500 company employees but they are going to be the only people to afford them with most of the city being foreclosed. I hope they also are not turned into more dept as more people are renting. I can't see how anyone that can help it would live here or raise children here when clearly the adults in charge are constantly in the news.

[edit] That is some good advice PerditaFairy. I have a friend from Philadelphia also. From what I understand the cities are very similar to some degrees.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM

161 posts, read 696,987 times
Philly is waaaay more interesting than Richmond. You could live there for years and not run out of thigns to do. it is the ugliest major city I'v been to excluding Detroit. So much of the city is straight ghetto looking. Much prettier in Richmond. My bro lives in Philly and I think he is looking to leave soon after only a yr or so there. Im out of RIC as soon as I can wait out the housing B/S and sell my house. I hear California is nice this time of yr!!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM

31 posts, read 233,645 times
Ron Mavrick...a view from across the country.
Your complaints are the same complaints that all teens have everywhere you go. Nothing to do. I live in California and I hear it all the time. It's not that there isn't anything to do, it is either not interesting or geared towards certain tastes or you take for granted that it's there. It's a case of the grass being greener on the other side.
I came on vacation from CA to Richmond. I came to go to Colonial Williamsburg and go to the Historic Plantations. We have nothing like these places in California. I didn't go to Busch Gardens because we do have stupid amuzement parks like every hour drive apart. They are soooooooo boring, Six Flags, Great America, The Boardwalks, The Wharf in San Fran-sick-o, Disney, Knotts Berry Farm....all blazay....I can do those anytime, which means I don't go to any of these places unless I have company from out of town...then I act as tour guide. We just had our fair this weekend, I live 4 miles from it...didn't go...just boring rides. This is what I mean by taking things for granted. I take for granted I can go to these places anytime, so they bore me beyond belief. But, Plantation Homes, Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown were so much fun for me. I would trade you places in a second.
We also have water rations out here and wild fires that cloak the state for at least a month or 2 every year. So, you can't even go outside if you have any sort of lung problems.
But I can tell you that the races here don't really mix either. Mexicans hang with Mexicans, black with blacks, asians totally don't mix outside asians. So don't expect that to change. Our school's suck. We don't have lap tops here either. Our classes are overcrowded and I remember sitting in class with a roof leaking and a garbage can used to catch the water. And my HS didn't have any windows in it at all. Tourists used to think it was a prison. It was ugly as heck. And the school's would always say how poor they were and want more money, but our Principal drove a nice new bright red Convertible Corvette. This image has been burned in my mind, so when schools ask for more money.
My school taught us to type on typewriters and we never got computer time, so on my first job when I had to use a computer (I had a single parent so we were poor) I had no idea what to do. I would have been better to have taken Home EC.
Not to mention we have a huge gang issue out here and the gangs are race based. I don't recall you mentioning a gang problem. We have police officers posted at school's here it's so bad.
Every place has it's ups and downs. I loved Virginia, I found the people there to be nice and friendly and very helpful. As opposed to here, where everybody distrusts everyone else and nobody will help you even if you break down on the side of the road. When I was in VA, I pulled over to program my destination in my GPS and the 2nd vehicle that went by stopped to see if I was okay. When I was buying flowers, I started to drop them as my hands were full and a nice husband and wife both caught and helped me with the flowers. That would be rare here in California. So, I had a very good time there.
I just hope that you can look outside Richmond and maybe then you'll see that you do live in a wonderful place. Actually, the town I live in now has 1 movie theatre and it's about 50 years old. We have to drive an hour to go to a place with decent movie theatres and places fun to go.
Yes, we do have movie stars and famous people all over California. Which is probably why when I run into them, I barely notice them and am not impressed with them. I would rather be with normal regular people.
The only thing I can recommend is that you take trips to different cities that peak your interests, you may find something better or you may appreciate where you live. That's what I did and I just love Williamsburg and Charleston in South Carolina. And I am moving back there as soon as I can get a job back there.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,194 times
RonMaverick -

You seriously need to move away to another city... whether it be for school or for just a change of scenery. I'm not saying "well if you don't like it here, then leave." I'm saying it would give you perspective, help you grow as a person, etc etc etc. You may find that you'll love this new city and never have a desire to move back... or you may find that Richmond isn't as bad as you think it is... Either way, I think you could only stand to benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond