Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,424 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

I've been living in the sunshine state for the past 4 years, orignally from NY. I have had enough of the hurricane/tornando threats. I am thinking of moving to VA, it's closer to home, but also far enough away. Because i am so use to living in a busy city, I would like to be someplace where there is movement and a tad bit of excitment, just a lil something to remind me of home.

For the moment I will be moving into an apartment until I decide that the location is where I want to purchase a home. I'm looking to live in area where the public schools are reputiable and public transportation is easily accessable from my residence to the downtown area and for my teenage children to get to and from their perspective workplaces. ANY SUGGESTIONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,457 times
I don't know much about Norfolk, but Richmond doesn't seem like a very good candidate for several of your criteria: it's a fairly small city where status quo tends to be celebrated over "movement" and/or "excitement;" public transportation is poor; and you probably would not want your teenage children working "in the downtown area" even if they could get there.

If you moved to the suburbs, where the public schools are quite good, you would be moving away from whatever urban "movement" and "excitement" there is. While your children could probably get jobs in the suburbs, the public transportation there is nearly non-existent, so based solely on your priorities Richmond doesn't sound like a great match.

That said, the Richmond area is a fine place to live with reasonable cost-of-living, decent housing stock at good values, very good public schools in the outlying counties, and -- for its size -- a pretty broad spectrum of arts, sports, and other activities downtown and in the counties. It is not a terribly urban area in its sensibilities, but manages to be fairly urbane despite its suburban inclinations.

Last edited by whynot?; 09-08-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 AM

132 posts, read 253,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
It is not a terribly urban area in its sensibilities, but manages to be fairly urbane despite its suburban inclinations.
Wow! You need an editorial in the RTD!

Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 AM

46 posts, read 239,433 times
i like richmond a lot more.

you won't find good public transportation in either city. in richmond the buses don't even go to the west end. richmond has way less traffic than norfolk though, and if you live anywhere close to downtown it doesn't really matter. norfolk/hampton roads NEEDS public transportation badly, the traffic is horrendous (for what little it offers...obviously it's nothing compared to DC or NYC) where richmond doesn't need it as bad, everyone just rides bikes.

norfolk has a better public school system, not the greatest, but fairly respectable considering it's a decent sized city. the va beach school system is thought of highly and coming from fairly affluent omaha suburbs, i was bored as hell in school...didn't really learn much. but depending on what norfolk school you go to, a decent education will probably be provided. from what i hear, richmond public schools aren't good at all.

norfolk is boring compared to richmond. they are both fairly small (roughly 200,000) but richmond offers a lot of excitement, and norfolk doesn't really offer any besides being within driving distance to the beach. it definitely isn't TERRIBLE, but it's pretty slow paced and blue collar, kinda reminds me of growing up in the midwest. richmond has an extremely diverse population (especially for its size) so that keeps things interesting.

so i guess it depends on where your priorities are - each city obviously has some good and some bad. as i said, i prefer richmond but i am also a college student who is very involved in local music scenes, so richmond appeals to me more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond