U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 13,012 times
Default Need help on how to commute

I was wondering if someone could possibly tell me what is the best way to return to Fredericksburg from Richmond after work hours on a daily basis. I will be relocating to Fredericksburg and applying for work in the Richmond area. Please help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 PM

1,146 posts, read 2,942,040 times
You have three options... Interstate 95, Route 1 and Route 301. MOST of the time 95 is going to be fine (and it is a much easier commute than going north from Fredericksburg). If there is an accident though, you will find most people bail and head to Route 1. More than likely 301 will be out-of your way, but it is there as a back-up just in case. We just moved from Fredericksburg to the Richmond area and I use 95 when we head up to visit.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,129,780 times
I was going to say . . . . I commuted from NoVa (Arlington) to Richmond for years via I-95. You just have to get used to it, NEVER think about it, and pay attention to the guy in front of/beside you. Alternate routes are "fine," but everybody else knows them, too, so good luck with that.

Depending upon where you're moving from, I-95 will either feel familiar or freak you out. You'll get used to it, if the latter. Fredericksburg itself is not without traffic issues. We go up Rt. 17 a couple of times a year and are astounded at how bad the traffic flow is.

Good radio, iPod, books-on-tape are your friends! Use them!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 AM

1,715 posts, read 3,836,813 times
Isn't there a bus linking the Richmond area to Fredericksburg for commuters? I believe it's $6 each way, and with gas so expensive it definitely makes it worth it. I believe it would only be viable though if you were working downtown.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

269 posts, read 940,460 times
any reason you don't just move to Richmond? friendlier area, cheaper, less traffic.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:59 PM

Family. Also I'm told that Fredericksburg is nicer than Richmond. Is that true?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM

1,715 posts, read 3,836,813 times
It's all in the eye of the beholder. I personally prefer Richmond much more than Fredericksburg, but I'm sure there are other that hold the opposite view.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 PM

42 posts, read 74,449 times
Default Choose Richmond

Um...I seriously question the person who told you that F'burg is nicer. We lived on the outskirts of "Fred Vegas" for 5 years and then we moved just outside of Richmond 3.5 years ago (we're in Hanover Co.). I would choose Richmond or its surrounding areas hands down. No contest.

Here's the deal. F'burg certainly has some "cute" areas with its million dollar Victorians...but Richmond has about 10 times as many in the Fan. F'burg has a mall and Central Park for shopping. Richmond has the best shopping options I've seen anywhere in VA w/ no traffic issues (Short Pump, Stoney Point, Libbie & Grove, etc. are great!). Oh, and let's discuss traffic. Central Park, Rt 3, and Rt 17 are basically a parking lot during the evening rush hour as well as holidays. I once went to a child's birthday party in Central Park in mid-December and we were 30 minutes late due to the LAST MILE. Ugh. Finally, if you don't want to live in a city you have LOTS of suburban choices around Richmond just brimming over with the best schools in the state (Chesterfield, Goochland, Henrico, and my personal fav Hanover).

What's not to love??

Old 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM

This is something that I have to look into. I really don't want to live in a city but on the outskirts and I have a 4yr old that I worry about as far as good pre-schools and neighborhoods. Not to mention I hate having to deal with a lot of crazy traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond