U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 58,371 times

Advertisements

After 7 years of owning a historic home in Petersburg ,I have recently put it up for sale in hopes of moving to a well established surbuban quiet neighborhood. I currently live in an approx 3000 sq ft home with multiple fireplaces (recently open for Historic Garden Week in Virginia),and wanted something close to that or larger. I have no kids ,will most likely live alone ,so school districts (which I see mentioned in many of these forums) mean zero to me. All of my research and price range (300,000 to 500,000) have led me to either Bexley or Stonehenge. I did consider Salisbury but currently it seems out of my price range as I am also looking for a bargain. I would not be using a country club or golf course ,although I might use a lake for rowing. My own personal opinion is that Bexley is the more beautiful neighborhood ,although the homes my realtor has shown me have been nicer on the inside in Stonehenge. My own research has shown that, on average, homes in Stonehenge sell for more per square foot then Bexley although in most cases recently ,in both neighborhoods ,homes are selling for less then their assessed value. I have also read and heard that Bexley is going through a transitional period. I would like to hear people's opinions on which is the more desirable neighborhood ,and anything at all that would help me to choose. Is Bexley going downhill ? Is one neighborhood considered more prestigious then the other ? I would like to hear everything ,good and bad. thank you ,Charles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,678,599 times
Please talk to a real estate agent...have them pull the resale stats before the big mortgage meltdown because neither of these areas have had great resale in years. The surrounding areas leave much to be desired.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM

thank you ,actually by going online to Chesterfield County I can see just how prices have fallen. i WISH Real Estate agents were of help ,but my experience has been that to sell a house they will make anything up. my own agent knows nothing of these areas , i know more then she does. we saw a home in Bexley ,shown to us by the listing agent who in an effort to get the price per square foot down had greatly exaggerated the size of the home ,even trying to turn it's 3 bedroom status into a 5 bedroom. the house is currently listed at 115,000 over it's assessed value ,when nothing is selling for that anymore. in fact people are lucky if they sell AT assessed value. the realtor also is a resident of Bexley. A realtor at an open house in Stonehenge claimed that neighborhood was more desirable then Bexley. as far as location, Stonehenge is closer to the city ,and more desirable stores. i have not seen that it is near anything undesirable ,but Bexley is surrounded by some low class housing. when you are within Bexley though ,it is quite beautiful with large estates ,whereas Stonehenge does not seem to have the variety of houses ,or that "estate" feel. what i am looking for is someone to tell me the hidden truths. the Bexley realtor tried to say Stonehenge is noisier because it is near Midlothian. I did not hear any noise in Stonehenge and she was obviously lying. I use to live in a very nice neighborhood called Hidden Valley in Chester 15 years ago. I would never consider it now ,as i have seen it deteriorate in recent years. what realtors won't tell you is that people are moving in who care nothing about keeping up their homes , who care nothing about the noise they make and no laws as to property enhancement have caused people with no taste to do whatever they please to their home. if either Stonehenge or Bexley is on it's way down ,or something negative is about to be built nearby I need to know. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,678,599 times
Hey Hampers... I just read this...sorry!

I sent you a DM with some extra info!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM

Default thank you

that was very helpful. I have looked in Salisbury ,and the neighboring Powderham ,and keep hoping the right home will come along if and when my own home sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond