U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:48 AM

38 posts, read 141,801 times

Advertisements

Everyone who responded needs to shut up and keep your comments for people who want to move to the suburbs.

*Ahem*

So you want a busy lifestyle with lots of people around? Well, I'd pick the fan for you then, although it's probably not as big as Williamsburg, NYC (never been). You can definitely find a cheap place to live for $800-900/mo in the Fan. You might also want to try Oregon Hill and Carver, where lots of VCU students are moving since prices in the Fan are going up. Also, Jackson Ward is currently in transition. It used to be an historically black neighborhood, often referred to as "the Harlem of the South" back in the day. Church Hill may also be a place of interest; a lot of young grad students at MCV, or recent college graduates with young children live there (though it is also one of those neighborhoods that used to be "ghetto" so there might still be some remnants of that).

Overall Richmond is growing tremendously. Drive anywhere in downtown Richmond and just look at all of the places being renovated, rebuilt, and restored, then think to yourself "what will Richmond be like after everything is brought back to life 5 years from now?". (And besides Richmond's buildings have some of the best architecture of any other city that I can think of in the USA). One thing to say about Richmond's neighborhoods is that the apt's down here used to be HOMES for the extremely wealthy back in the day, so the buildings are just gorgeous, trust me.

This recession is will be good for Richmond in the long term because now is the time for those fat cats with huge wallets to invest in rebuilding a place like Richmond.

Additionally, just to throw in there, Richmond recently got a new music venue downtown called The National, I've been there multiple times. It's an historic building (along with every other freakin building down here, heh), so the inside is EXTREMELY gorgeous and intricate. A lot of local and non-local bands play there. You can see it's upcoming schedule here: The National - Richmond, VA - Schedule

Oh and you won't find any backwards thinking amongst the youth (<35). And that's all that I'm going to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,862,512 times
I was born in NYC and raised in Richmond, so I have a good idea of both cities. Some parts of Richmond (The Fan, Carytown, VCU, Shockoe Bottom) is okay for "hispster". However, you must realize that NOWHERE has a population like NYC. Everything is in Richmon is on a smaller, slower scale because there are not as many people. You will have to do research online to find things to do (as opposed to wallking around Wiliamsburg). All-in-All, you can survive Richmond once you get used to it. Also, do remember that you are 2 hours from DC which could make a good weekend trip for the stuff that you are in to.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:19 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,229,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I was born in NYC and raised in Richmond, so I have a good idea of both cities. Some parts of Richmond (The Fan, Carytown, VCU, Shockoe Bottom) is okay for "hispster". However, you must realize that NOWHERE has a population like NYC. Everything is in Richmon is on a smaller, slower scale because there are not as many people. You will have to do research online to find things to do (as opposed to wallking around Wiliamsburg). All-in-All, you can survive Richmond once you get used to it. Also, do remember that you are 2 hours from DC which could make a good weekend trip for the stuff that you are in to.
DC is a waste of time. Everything you need here is in Richmond. I would rather even go to Norfolk than DC.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
DC is a waste of time. Everything you need here is in Richmond. I would rather even go to Norfolk than DC.
I lived in Richmond for a while in my 20s, after having just lived in NYC. I thought it was a neat place - beautiful architecture in the Fan and West End, nice restaurants and parks, more than enough things to do on the weekends if you made an effort, and a slower pace of life that was - at the time - quite welcome.

The one thing that I despised was the fact that many Richmonders - after patting themselves on the back for their civility and good manners - just could not shut up about how much they hated DC and NoVa (and, somewhat less frequently, NYC and Atlanta). The chip on their shoulders was truly enormous. The sad thing was that the feelings were not reciprocated, so it wasn't like there was a decent rivalry.

Richmonder27 - you definitely know how to bring back the memories.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,229,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I lived in Richmond for a while in my 20s, after having just lived in NYC. I thought it was a neat place - beautiful architecture in the Fan and West End, nice restaurants and parks, more than enough things to do on the weekends if you made an effort, and a slower pace of life that was - at the time - quite welcome.

The one thing that I despised was the fact that many Richmonders - after patting themselves on the back for their civility and good manners - just could not shut up about how much they hated DC and NoVa (and, somewhat less frequently, NYC and Atlanta). The chip on their shoulders was truly enormous. The sad thing was that the feelings were not reciprocated, so it wasn't like there was a decent rivalry.

Richmonder27 - you definitely know how to bring back the memories.

Well, bless your heart!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 PM

290 posts, read 1,041,301 times
Why Richmond though?..doesnt seem to fit you, alot of ignorance out in Richmond

Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,557,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Why Richmond though?..doesnt seem to fit you, alot of ignorance out in Richmond
^That's ignorant

Old 03-12-2009, 10:01 PM

9 posts, read 77,276 times
dont move to richmond! you need to watch that tv show crime 360 its all about crime and murder in richmond va. move to maryland or alexandria va. trust me

Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 PM

9 posts, read 77,276 times
dont noone comment me cause its the truth.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,557,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenhearts View Post
dont move to richmond! you need to watch that tv show crime 360 its all about crime and murder in richmond va. move to maryland or alexandria va. trust me
Do you live in the Richmond area? Not all the areas are bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or