U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,230,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by left my heart in ny/nj View Post
I have been to Carytown and I love it. I wish I could live around there but it's expensive, especially the property taxes and according to my husband not the safest.

I do also like Shockoe Bottom.

These places are great but you have to drive out to get there. There is no convenience in getting around.

Last summer, I broke my knee and I couldn't drive for 12 weeks. I really needed a car when I started physical therapy. I couldn't always fit into my husband's or friends' schedule so I had to take a taxi. For one way, 12 minutes, it was $15.

It's really ridiculous I think when a city is scared to have a mass transportation system because they have a NIMBY attitude (this is according to many people I have talked to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow, I totally agree with you I moved to Virginia Beach in 2008 from the bronx, New York. Here is not like in NY. If you have to wait for the public bus, it takes a long time to get where you are. There is not much to do. Clubs closes at 2am. Restaurants closes early. It just horrific. However I think Virginia Beach is a better city than Richmond, because everything is near. The hospital is near, clubs are near, the mall is near, everything. I would advice you to move to VA Beach. It is better than what you describe Richmond as.

I was being sarcastic lol. i completely agree with you though. I made a thread a while ago that said the exact same thing more or less.. of course I was made the bad guy for suggesting city improvements. I forgot everything is fine the way it is. This city is just forever going to be conservative and segregated. I'm planning to move. I'm tired of it.

Last edited by Anders15; 04-17-2009 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:34 PM

98 posts, read 220,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPatrick View Post
I think you should explore Jackson Ward, Church Hill, and Shockoe Bottom, and the Fan. These urban areas should meet your needs.
lmao

Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM

243 posts, read 1,524,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPatrick View Post
I think you should explore Jackson Ward, Church Hill, and Shockoe Bottom, and the Fan. These urban areas should meet your needs.
lol thats messed up.....

Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 6,417 times
The bad areas are as follows, some of southside, mostly with in the richmond city limit they are working on cleaning it up but yea that takes time. The south side of Semmes try to stay away from the further west you go along semmes the better. Anywhere in downtown Richmond can be dangerous. Don't be stupid, you one block that is "good" and the next is the hood. Be carefull drive around and figure out what type of block it is. Don't go out by yourself at night in Richmond if your a girl.. Standard advice for any city. Richmond is like any other city. Don't be stupid and should end up ok.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM

111 posts, read 206,624 times
Lots of hipsters here. I'd live in The Fan. I grew up in Richmond and I love it and take great pride in it.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM

111 posts, read 206,624 times
Also, if she moves down here for a year or two and decides she doesn't like it, she can always move. She's only 25. Y'all act like she's having to make a decision that includes permanent residency or something.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,082,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random1276586576568 View Post
The bad areas are as follows, some of southside, mostly with in the richmond city limit they are working on cleaning it up but yea that takes time. The south side of Semmes try to stay away from the further west you go along semmes the better. Anywhere in downtown Richmond can be dangerous. Don't be stupid, you one block that is "good" and the next is the hood. Be carefull drive around and figure out what type of block it is. Don't go out by yourself at night in Richmond if your a girl.. Standard advice for any city. Richmond is like any other city. Don't be stupid and should end up ok.
Some good advice, some ignorance. Plenty of places in Richmond where girls are fine at night. And some places where they aren't. Its not so much block by block, but area by area.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:53 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,082,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by left my heart in ny/nj View Post
Yes, I do live in the burbs, wish we could live near the city. I am aware of the Lebanese community and we do have some friends from the community. The Lebanese food festival is great and we do attend every year as well as attend many different other festivals including the folk festival.

I guess my major frustration is with the openness of people to Richmonders with anyone who is different than what they know(which is not much).

Thanks for the suggestions.
Honestly, the issue is where you live - in the burbs. What you are looking for is in the Fan/Museum District/carytown/byrd park etc.

And yes, I've lived abroad in many countries. As have many of my neighbors in the fan.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 PM

20 posts, read 52,139 times
Well, for 900 a month, here that could get you a two bedroom if you look hard enough, my apartment on Broad St is 850 a month and includes everything except electric (Even Tv and Satellite) and its a Historic two bed Apartment Close to VCU (I'm an Urban Studies major). Richmond is no Megalopis with subways and Metrorails like DC or NYC but honestly I manage to get everywhere I need to go almost every day of the week without Driving, so so can you (especially if you live on Broad or Main where the Buses run very frequently) They bus system is sometimes a bit strange and you might see something you thought odd but coming from NY i doubt you'll be freaked out. The job market is hard here too, but I also dont know what field you're in or how good of a candidate you are, so honestly best of luck Im sure you will find something. There is excellent musuems here, there is an art museum, Science museum, Several history museums (Richmond is huge on History, you can learn about its history for a very long time) a holocaust museum, and quite a few more. Richmond is a pretty big foodie town so thats where the culture is at, eating, and shopping in the Suburbs (short pump and Stony point are as high end as it gets), there are endless things to do here, all you have to do is be willing to go out and find them, I hope you enjoy it and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or