U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM

13,153 posts, read 17,431,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthews6485 View Post
I would say the glen allen area near short pump would be the best place to move in richmond. There is so much to do, and the schools are great, and its still growing. And being near short pump puts you next to in my opinion the nicest mall in richmond.
I have to second that about being near Short Pump! The neighborhoods around there are great! Safe and quiet. And, yes, the schools are good. Do look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:25 PM

278 posts, read 564,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolahb View Post
While Hanover/Atlee area is great, your husband would have quite a commute. Housing is also a bit higher in that area. I live in Midlothian the northern part of Midlothian which encompasses a fairly large part of Chesterfield County, and traffic along Rt 360/ Hull St Rd can get pretty bad. While Chesterfield Schools are rated very highly, it is a VERY large school system. The third largest in the state. There has been a huge budget shortfall, and next year, classes in the elementary grades may reach 35, I believe I heard. Perhaps all school systems will be hard hit, but the school employees I know are in a panic. You may want to consider Powhatan. It had been predominantly rural, but has now become almost a bedroom community of Midlothian. It is growing by leaps and bounds. The schools are good, and less crowded. Shopping in the area is expanding rapidly with the development of the Watkins Center on Rt 60/Anderson Hwy.

There are many, many churches in the Midlo area, as there is throughout the Metro Richmond area. Many large Baptist , Methodist and Presbyterian churches, as well as many,many smaller congrations of various Christian fellowships\. I just noticed a new Calvary Chapel congregation.
The stimulus package has fortunately bailed out Chesterfield County. Class sizes will not go to 35, nor will teachers be laid off. Chesterfield County has excellent schools and will continue to have excellent schools well into the future. It is, has been and will continue to be a nice place to live. This does not mean that there are not other nice areas outside and inside of Richmond in which to live.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,618,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
Huh?

I'm under 30, could be why I missed the "invaSion".
and a darn good reason,...... but I still recommend Midlothigan!!!!!ha ha ha

Old 04-28-2009, 03:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
With the current budget issues I would be interested to see how this program is affected. Im from Roanoke and the Roanoke County school district had the same program (I didn't attend but my siblings did). However, because of the budget crisis they are weighting many options that would significantly alter that program.
Here's an update on the Henrico laptop initiative. The county has just signed a four year deal with Dell.

Henrico schools&#39 laptop program to continue | Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/education/article/LAPS28_20090427-222833/264355/ - broken link)

Old 06-08-2009, 07:12 PM

157 posts, read 515,638 times
Well.. here's the verdict. I'm moving to Ashbrook subdivision, one year lease. It's "Chesterfield" mailing address, not Midlothian but across the street from Woodlake (which is Midlothian). I'd like to move to Henrico or even Powhatan in the future but we shall see.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM

21,376 posts, read 24,137,102 times
Don't worry about a Midlo. zip code. The area you've chosen has many transplants. Its mostly grown up in the past 15-20 years, so most of it is fairly new. As you've probably seen you will have no shortage of strip malls. Just beware that Hull St (360) has alot of traffic most of the day and people rarely use signals in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Just remember (1) tapping the horn is a no-no and (2) if you make eye contact say Hi. If you have questions about the area just ask. Just in case you get hungry for pizza on the first night go to Old Hundred Rd and make a left (Brandermill) and then a right into the small shopping ctr.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,792,528 times
Quote:
Well.. here's the verdict. I'm moving to Ashbrook subdivision, one year lease. It's "Chesterfield" mailing address, not Midlothian but across the street from Woodlake (which is Midlothian). I'd like to move to Henrico or even Powhatan in the future but we shall see.
Congratulations! I hope the move goes smoothly. Have fun exploring the area.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

157 posts, read 515,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Don't worry about a Midlo. zip code. The area you've chosen has many transplants. Its mostly grown up in the past 15-20 years, so most of it is fairly new. As you've probably seen you will have no shortage of strip malls. Just beware that Hull St (360) has alot of traffic most of the day and people rarely use signals in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Just remember (1) tapping the horn is a no-no and (2) if you make eye contact say Hi. If you have questions about the area just ask. Just in case you get hungry for pizza on the first night go to Old Hundred Rd and make a left (Brandermill) and then a right into the small shopping ctr.
No tapping your horn?! Seriously?

I'm from MI, no one uses turn signals (except me.. well and a few others).. so that's not a big deal.

I am excited.. but sad to leave at the same time. I found a really great Mexican place across from my husband's work that I'm excited to eat at!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,618,672 times
Quote:
so you are going to michlotian after all.......the invaSion continues !!!!!!!! you should feel like you never left home.....y'all....
in⋅va⋅sion  /ɪnˈveɪʒən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [in-vey-zhuhn] Show IPA
–noun 1. an act or instance of invading or entering as an enemy, esp. by an army.
2. the entrance or advent of anything troublesome or harmful, as disease.
3. entrance as if to take possession or overrun: the annual invasion of the resort by tourists.
4. infringement by intrusion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by htlong; 06-11-2009 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: just to have fun!!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 18,714 times
As a fellow Michigander looking to move to the Richmond area... does anyone have any tips for making the transition smoother?

Both my mother and I are unemployed with few job prospects. I'm a computer science major and even finding an internship has proven challenging. I read an article in Forbes which said Richmond was one of the top cities for economic growth.

Last edited by Firefall; 06-11-2009 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Grammar and clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or