U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM

2,697 posts, read 7,790,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
As a fellow Michigander looking to move to the Richmond area... does anyone have any tips for making the transition smoother?

Both my mother and I are unemployed with few job prospects. I'm a computer science major and even finding an internship has proven challenging. I read an article in Forbes which said Richmond was one of the top cities for economic growth.
Well, I don't know that I would believe that. The unemployment rate in Richmond is almost as high as the national average and much higher than the state average. I'm not saying not to look here, I'm just saying not to put too much stock in Forbes' rankings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 04:06 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,148,018 times
25 - 30 years ago you'd see all sorts of MI, OH, PA etc plates showing up here in CA. I predict if it's not already happening, Richmond ought to be seeing lots of CA plates showing up shortly. Rust Belt, meet Rust Belt II.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,148,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Well, I don't know that I would believe that. The unemployment rate in Richmond is almost as high as the national average and much higher than the state average. I'm not saying not to look here, I'm just saying not to put too much stock in Forbes' rankings.
It's all relative, CA, OH, MI, SC, RI ... all over 11%.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's all relative, CA, OH, MI, SC, RI ... all over 11%.
Yes, I agree. I'm just pointing out that despite what the article says this is not the land of milk and honey. Also, keep in mind that certain jobs are easy to find and others are very difficult. For example, this is not a particularly great place for IT. The jobs exist, but not like they do in other areas (like RTP). Richmond is currently ranked 146 out of 372 MSAs for lowest unemployment. I think that's great (slightly better than average), but not spectacular.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 38,302 times
South side is resonable compare to West End.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 18,708 times
Wow, was just asking for tips for making the relocation from MI to VA easier since the original poster says they're making the move. There's other reasons I want to move there like "my family lives there" and "I'm applying to University of Richmond".... >_<

I'll try another site for my research. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
Wow, was just asking for tips for making the relocation from MI to VA easier since the original poster says they're making the move. There's other reasons I want to move there like "my family lives there" and "I'm applying to University of Richmond".... >_<

I'll try another site for my research. Thanks.
Please don't take my comments personally--generally those Forbes articles are BS and I was just pointing that out. Also, I can't read your mind and no where in your first post did you give details. I'm just telling you to be realistic. This is a fabulous area and I'd much rather be here than Grand Rapids, MI. However, this area is certainly being affected by the recession. How to make the transition smooth is not a very specific question and you provided no details. For example, how someone with children has a smooth transition will probably be entirely different from how someone in their mid 20s makes the transition.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM

186 posts, read 469,790 times
Quote:
Just remember (1) tapping the horn is a no-no and (2) if you make eye contact say Hi. If you have questions about the area just ask.
Very refreshing to hear. We're relocating from Boston, MA where 1)tapping the horn is standard fare; one is lucky if one doesn't get the finger as well and 2) making eye contact usually doesn't inspire anyone to say hi. Must be the real cold weather up here.

The more I read about VA, the more excited I am about leaving New England.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,386 times
Hi! How has the move and richmond been thus far? We are lokking at the exact same situation that you and your family just went though. Are you pleased with the area you chose? the schools?

thanks

Jen

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 PM

46 posts, read 119,233 times
Bay area. Michigan is not 14.1% unemployement for May. Goody, I can't wait for June's stat's to roll around. What next will it be 16%???

Sorry, our State is in horrible shape. Our county can't afford to take care of paved roads so they're turning them back to gravel roads. A bridge over a major hwy shifted and they had to shut down the hwy between Detroit & Chicago for days. Our State is broke.....and we're expecting more layoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or