U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM

45 posts, read 82,287 times
Default Michigan 14.1 % unemployment for May

Michigan jumped from being 12.9 to 14.1% unemployed for the month of May. Can't wait to see what June will be??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,168 times
Default About Hanover

Hanover is a good place to live if you are a white republican with a fairly high income range on the western and middle sides, Mechanicsville really depends on what area you are in. far Eastern mechanicsville touches into some shady parts of Henrico county and if you see an advertisement for an apartment complex called The Pines stay as far away from there as possible. They are drug and thug infested. Hanover is overall almost 90% white with the outlying areas being closer to 100%. Western Hanover is especially this way since a piece of land can cost you upwards of $50k per acre. The housing is expensive (rent for a three bedroom around the corner from my house goes for $1350 a month and its a tiny place on a main road, not a place for kids). You won't find a home in Hanover for less than $250k unless it has some severe problems and as I said before, if you are a democrat (as I am) be prepared to take some serious heat from poll attendants when you vote. If you are a middle income family, as I am, you are not likely to fit into Western Hanover or Mid Hanover (near Kins Charter or Ashcreek) easily. I would recommend Chesterfield near Robious or even Henrico in the West End before I would even consider trying to convince someone that Hanover was worth anything. Property taxes (both personal and real estate) in Hanover are very high, yet the social services are junk (uneducated people running them) and the schools are only repaired or replaced in the areas of highest income. The school my children go to, even though this area pays higher taxes than the rest of the county due to land prices, is falling apart and is overcrowded because the schools where the rich people are grouped like cattle get more attention.
Hanover has a serious lack of available apartments, and the ones it does have are almost all subsidized or they are falling apart. If you are willing to spend upwards of $1400 per month, I would recommend looking in either the West End near Short Pump or Chesterfield near Robious. You can get a nice house for that price in those areas and have a far better chance of getting decent schools. Not to mention the fact that if your husband is going to work in Richmond or Chesterfield, Hanover is an ugly drive there in the morning on the interstates and once the traffic backs up all of the drivers get stupid and have no idea how to drive anymore, God forbid if you throw any rain or snow in, then you can guarantee at least 10 accidents on your way home.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:45 PM

834 posts, read 1,208,699 times
ramgrl, I completely and totally disagree on your assessment of Hanover. I lived in that county for years until my husband's job moved us out.
Eastern Hanover and Western Hanover should be two completely different counties. I can't speak for Eastern. We didn't move there because it seemed too suburban and crowded.

Western Hanover gave us the best of all worlds. The schools are fantastic. People are very friendly and welcoming yet they also respect privacy. Homes in Western Hanover are not only not expensive, but prices have dropped drastically in the past two years.
We had a gorgeous 2800 square foot house on two acres and our taxes were 2,000 a year, so I don't know where you are getting expensive from.
As far as classes, all classes are represented. Everything from modest starter homes, to mid priced homes to million dollar homes are here. A person from any economic backround will fit in because there is such diversity.
My husband and I are democrats and there were many Obama signs all around our area. Yes it's majority Republican but we did not feel out of place at all.
Western Hanover has very, very little crime. You can hop on 64 and be in Short Pump in 20 minutes. Get your fill of the city, then go back out to the peaceful country.

We looked at all of the towns surronding Richmond and Western Hanover gave us everything we wanted. I love where we are, but I do miss our home.
Chesterfield turned us off as soon as we saw the crime statistics. If I didn't live in western Hanover, Powhatan county would be my 2nd choice

Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM

155 posts, read 359,289 times
Yep, MI's official unemployment rate was 14.1%, VA's is 7%.

We just moved- we're in Chesterfield Co across Hull St from Midlothian. It's okay. It's hard because I feel so isolated without my friends, family, and church family. I'm sure it'll be better the longer we're here. It's still hard.

We're told we're in excellent schools. So we'll see!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:04 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,791,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
Yep, MI's official unemployment rate was 14.1%, VA's is 7%.

We just moved- we're in Chesterfield Co across Hull St from Midlothian. It's okay. It's hard because I feel so isolated without my friends, family, and church family. I'm sure it'll be better the longer we're here. It's still hard.

We're told we're in excellent schools. So we'll see!
I feel your pain-or I should say our teenage daughter. We were relocated from LI/NY in 2004 to Richmond-we moved to Glen Allen.

We had fortunately only a few weeks of crying until she made friends,joined clubs-she adjusted rather quickly.We did fly her back to LI to visit her friends which I think made the transition easier.

My DH and I grew to the love the area. Fast forward to 2008 we have now been relocated to the midwest-our older kids are staying in Va!! No thoughts of moving back to LI/NY.

We are missing our kids and Va and can't wait to move back-unless they move some where else which is highly doubtful.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I feel your pain-or I should say our teenage daughter. We were relocated from LI/NY in 2004 to Richmond-we moved to Glen Allen.

We had fortunately only a few weeks of crying until she made friends,joined clubs-she adjusted rather quickly.We did fly her back to LI to visit her friends which I think made the transition easier.

My DH and I grew to the love the area. Fast forward to 2008 we have now been relocated to the midwest-our older kids are staying in Va!! No thoughts of moving back to LI/NY.

We are missing our kids and Va and can't wait to move back-unless they move some where else which is highly doubtful.
Ya know, that's really encouraging! My son is almost 12 and says he's going back to MI for college. My 3 girls (8, 6, and 4) have all told me their plans to buy our old house. Maybe it'll change. The people here are friendly. It's just hard for me. Our neighbors are super friendly but most homes both husband & wife work & their kids are at babysitters or daycare all day. It doesn't help either that my kids are some of the oldest in the area... a lot of really young families. It's not a negative thing but it's harder for me to find someone to relate to. It'll come.. hopefully only a few more weeks of tears.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM

339 posts, read 530,849 times
You should consider signing up on Meetup.com and seeing what kind of active groups are in your area. It's a quick and easy way to make new friends. I believe there are groups for folks that are new in town and for stay-at-home parents. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM

60 posts, read 165,246 times
Camer, I see you are from Boston, MA. I'm from springfield. Im hoping to move to VA one day. What part of VA did you end up moving to, and do you like it?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,791,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
Ya know, that's really encouraging! My son is almost 12 and says he's going back to MI for college. My 3 girls (8, 6, and 4) have all told me their plans to buy our old house. Maybe it'll change. The people here are friendly. It's just hard for me. Our neighbors are super friendly but most homes both husband & wife work & their kids are at babysitters or daycare all day. It doesn't help either that my kids are some of the oldest in the area... a lot of really young families. It's not a negative thing but it's harder for me to find someone to relate to. It'll come.. hopefully only a few more weeks of tears.
Everything takes time. I think taking a trip back back to MI would help. Even if it's just for your 12 yr old son. We did it for our 13 yr old daughter.
You never know -it could be like us moving again and the kids staying put!

Even though I lived on LI/NY my whole life-our whole family is there-I still consider Va home. Would not move back to my home state in a NY minute!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM

I appreciate the encouragement & advice. We just got here and haven't finished unpacking and I know that it'd be too hard if we went back to MI right now. We're all going back in Dec and I'm planning to go back in Oct for a conference. I think that will be enough time that I won't bawl the whole way back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond