Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM

157 posts, read 569,366 times

Advertisements

Everything in MI is either dead or dying (unfortunately). My husband was laid off and has been looking for a new job. A company in the Richmond area (he thinks they said Midlothian) contacted him for a phone interview and has asked him to come down Feb 2nd for an in-person interview.

Since they definitely seem serious about considering him, we are looking around the area for potential housing and where we'd want to settle down. We have 4 children: 6th, 2nd, 1st grades (will be 7th,3rd,2nd grades and a Kindergartner in Fall '09). Currently, we live in a nice "bedroom community" in what's considered metro-Detroit (although we're nowhere near Detroit). Our current community has very few people who actually work here, most commute. The schools are excellent, top rated. The town is safe. We're in our late 20s/early 30s but most of the area is comprised of people in the 30s/40s with children. I'm a stay at home mom, my husband is currently an automotive designer. We're looking for something similar, but can't pay top price. I am not used to "city" living and don't want to raise my children in the city. Our school district is not a huge one, the city has its own (not run by the county). We're a Christian family deeply committed to our faith (no, we're not wackos). Any suggestions for us?

If the do offer him the job for sure, my husband would likely move down there while the children & I stay in MI to finish the school year and would move sometime in July. We'd likely rent for the first year or so until we figure out for sure where we want to be but I also don't want to sign a 6 month lease and end up in an unsafe area or somewhere with crappy schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,986 times
What's your price range? The Midlothian area is generally a great suburban location in the Richmond area with strong schools, family filled neighborhoods, and amenities, so your husband could end up with a short commute.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM

We'd prefer to spend around $1400/mo. A short commute would be nice. My husband talked to the company today and the lady also suggested the Hanover/Atlee/Mechanicsville area. Any thoughts on those?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:52 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,449 times
Midlothian is a great area.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,656 times
While Hanover/Atlee area is great, your husband would have quite a commute. Housing is also a bit higher in that area. I live in Midlothian the northern part of Midlothian which encompasses a fairly large part of Chesterfield County, and traffic along Rt 360/ Hull St Rd can get pretty bad. While Chesterfield Schools are rated very highly, it is a VERY large school system. The third largest in the state. There has been a huge budget shortfall, and next year, classes in the elementary grades may reach 35, I believe I heard. Perhaps all school systems will be hard hit, but the school employees I know are in a panic. You may want to consider Powhatan. It had been predominantly rural, but has now become almost a bedroom community of Midlothian. It is growing by leaps and bounds. The schools are good, and less crowded. Shopping in the area is expanding rapidly with the development of the Watkins Center on Rt 60/Anderson Hwy.

There are many, many churches in the Midlo area, as there is throughout the Metro Richmond area. Many large Baptist , Methodist and Presbyterian churches, as well as many,many smaller congrations of various Christian fellowships\. I just noticed a new Calvary Chapel congregation.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Default 35 students in elementary classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolahb View Post
While Hanover/Atlee area is great, your husband would have quite a commute. Housing is also a bit higher in that area. I live in Midlothian the northern part of Midlothian which encompasses a fairly large part of Chesterfield County, and traffic along Rt 360/ Hull St Rd can get pretty bad. While Chesterfield Schools are rated very highly, it is a VERY large school system. The third largest in the state. There has been a huge budget shortfall, and next year, classes in the elementary grades may reach 35, I believe I heard. Perhaps all school systems will be hard hit, but the school employees I know are in a panic. You may want to consider Powhatan. It had been predominantly rural, but has now become almost a bedroom community of Midlothian. It is growing by leaps and bounds. The schools are good, and less crowded. Shopping in the area is expanding rapidly with the development of the Watkins Center on Rt 60/Anderson Hwy.

There are many, many churches in the Midlo area, as there is throughout the Metro Richmond area. Many large Baptist , Methodist and Presbyterian churches, as well as many,many smaller congrations of various Christian fellowships\. I just noticed a new Calvary Chapel congregation.
I don't live in Chesterfield, but I hope you're wrong about that. Do you have any sources you can link to? That would mean firing half the teachers. I know Chesterfield is having serious budget problems (I don't know if they're worse than Henrico's or if I'm just hearing more about Chesterfield's), but that would be pretty horrible for everyone involved.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM

I will check out Powhatan. We are Pentecostal/Assemblies of God and I found quite a few churches listed on AG's website. 35 kids per class is ridiculous!!! I'm not very comfortable with the large school district to be honest. It's unfortunate that our schools (in all areas) are getting shortchanged. These kids are our future. Anyhow, I appreciate the input I've been getting, please keep it coming!!! I did look up a few of the school's websites and was surprised to find 5 or 6 teachers per grade! Our school typically is 3 teachers/classes per grade!

Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
If you are going to look in surrounding counties, you might want to also look into Amelia. Depending where in Midlothian, Amelia could also benefit you, and would probably give you the smaller school system.

But, you might want to look on the eastern side of Chesterfield. LIke one of the above posters said, I have not heard the number 35 floated, not to say it will not happen, but these days you just never know. Anyway, the eastern side of Chesterfield has not grown quite as fast as the western side (360 corridor). My children are both at a local elementary school and I have been very pleased. Plus, you should be able to find a rental in that price range.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
haz

16 posts, read 43,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
I will check out Powhatan. We are Pentecostal/Assemblies of God and I found quite a few churches listed on AG's website. 35 kids per class is ridiculous!!! I'm not very comfortable with the large school district to be honest. It's unfortunate that our schools (in all areas) are getting shortchanged. These kids are our future. Anyhow, I appreciate the input I've been getting, please keep it coming!!! I did look up a few of the school's websites and was surprised to find 5 or 6 teachers per grade! Our school typically is 3 teachers/classes per grade!
I don't think you will find a problem with schools in Virginia. Virginia was just ranked 4th best in the country.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM

What about Glen Allen? Any opinions?

Thanks for comment on the schools. I hope that's true. In MI, we have some great schools and some districts that I'd never consider sending my children to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond