Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 AM

157 posts, read 568,024 times

Advertisements

We've been here about a week and I need to change my driver's license from a Michigan license to a Virginia license as well as re-plate/re-title my cars here. I went on VA's DMV website and it tells me all about re-titling/re-plating. Does anyone know anything about changing over my license? Are they going to require a test- driving or written?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 AM

418 posts, read 1,044,976 times
There is no test for the license - I forget what documents I needed to bring but that should be online. It was pretty straight forward.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Oh GOOD! I really don't want to stress over a test. LOL

My husband's coworker needed to take a road test but he moved here from Croatia, so it was kinda different.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM

32,610 posts, read 77,380,477 times
I just moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania and now have my new VA license (I'll be getting my plates next week). Here is my recommendation for you to get it all done:

1.) Go get a Virginia emissions inspection/safety inspection done at a local service station. It should be about $40 or so for both and should take under 20 minutes.

2.) If you purchased your vehicle within the past year or two you will need to pick up a form at the DMV (possibly print off the web site) that needs to be notarized as evidence you paid sales tax on your vehicle in another state or else VA will whammy you with its own sales tax.

3.) Bring only ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS to the DMV. My best recommendation would be to wait until either you or your husband had a pay stub, as that worked well for me. Also bring along your birth certificate, old driver's license, and your title/registration (along with proof of insurance). The company must be licensed to practice selling insurance in VA. My agent is still back in PA, but I have Nationwide, so I guess that sufficed.

4.) Do not smile for your license photo.

5.) Come with plenty of patience. Each time I've been at the local DMV I've waited in line for an hour or longer just to go sit down and wait again.

6.) Be careful on the vision test. I always thought I had 20/20 vision, but then again being in front of a PC at the office all day followed by an evening of City-Data has caused me some eye strain. I struggled with a couple of the letters, but after some hassling the woman didn't hold me up.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,677,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
1.) Go get a Virginia emissions inspection/safety inspection done at a local service station. It should be about $40 or so for both and should take under 20 minutes.
Emissions is a NoVa thing. Not necessary in this part of the state. The safety inspection is $16.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,304,027 times
I heard from my son that Va driver's licenses know have the new identity theft licenses-no smiling and your license has a hologram with I think your date of birth . It is really unique-I wish all states would implement this.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,137,640 times
Considering... I saw your status. Hope the move has gone well and you are handling the adjustment okay! Good luck at DMV!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I heard from my son that Va driver's licenses know have the new identity theft licenses-no smiling and your license has a hologram with I think your date of birth . It is really unique-I wish all states would implement this.
As far as I've read ALL states are now changing over their licenses to meet a new federal regulation for a government issued ID. They may not all look like VA's licenses but they meet different standards now. Read here: snopes.com: Real ID Act

It's the "Real ID Act"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I just moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania and now have my new VA license (I'll be getting my plates next week). Here is my recommendation for you to get it all done:

2.) If you purchased your vehicle within the past year or two you will need to pick up a form at the DMV (possibly print off the web site) that needs to be notarized as evidence you paid sales tax on your vehicle in another state or else VA will whammy you with its own sales tax.

3.) Bring only ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS to the DMV. My best recommendation would be to wait until either you or your husband had a pay stub, as that worked well for me. Also bring along your birth certificate, old driver's license, and your title/registration (along with proof of insurance). The company must be licensed to practice selling insurance in VA. My agent is still back in PA, but I have Nationwide, so I guess that sufficed.

6.) Be careful on the vision test. I always thought I had 20/20 vision, but then again being in front of a PC at the office all day followed by an evening of City-Data has caused me some eye strain. I struggled with a couple of the letters, but after some hassling the woman didn't hold me up.
Why would we need a pay stub? He's been working here for 4 months, I'm a stay at home mom, but what would the DMV need it for?

We have State Farm & changed our policy to a local agent here in VA.

I'm not worried about the vision test. I wear glasses & get my eyes checked regularly, but I do appreciate the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond