Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:03 AM

41 posts, read 150,346 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a transfer to Richmond. I have family in the Hampton area and would like to consider Williamsburg rather than Richmond to be closer to them. Is this a realistic idea? We have four children and I am a SAHM, so it would be great to have family within 30-40 minutes rather than 1 1/2 hours away. That said, I don't want to torture my husband with an impossible commute. I believe the location in Richmond would be downtown (Bryd street?).

I have read that the schools are good in Williamsburg/JCC but which elementary schools have the best reputations? I have a hard time looking at test scores and figuring that out. Fortunately, our house has appreciated significantly here in NC so we should be able to spend whatever it takes to get into a good school district.

Thanks in advance for any advice on commuting or schools,
Nettie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
yes its a doable commute its pretty busy in summer months with vacationers,
check advice on the post titled "commute richmond east end to hampton roads", it will tell you how bad the commute is but yours would be cut in half, not the best, but better than richmond to hampton

Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM

I read the commute richmond to hampton roads but didn't know if the east to west direction would make a difference.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:22 PM

143 posts, read 758,236 times
Wasn't route 60 recently improved? Is that a viable option to bypass the tourist traffic?

Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,977,520 times
Route 60 is still an option. I wasn't aware of any recent improvements. You still have stoplights to contend with.
Amost all of the area schools are considered above average. DJ Montague, Matthew Whaley, Clara Byrd Baker, Norge in James City County. In York County Waller Mill, Grafton Bethel, Dare & Mt Vernon are some of the best in the area. The commute is do able. I have many friends and neighbors that do. You may want to consider the New Kent Area, Schools are almost as good. It is located between Richmond and Williamsburg. Very Rural and not much shopping.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:21 PM

Thank you for your input. Since we have family in the area we visit frequently, I will get my husband to test out the drive before the move.

I liked the web page for Matthew Whaley and the history behind the school. I'm not sure which neighborhoods map to that school but I will ask my Realtor. I also thought DJ Montague looked good on paper (but I have yet to visit any in person).

Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM

267 posts, read 1,674,675 times
Totally doable. My sister goes on day trips to Richmond for work a few times a month from Newport News/Hampton area. It's no farther than a great number of people commute in the DC area and I'm sure you'll find others that do the same there. ANd as for being busier during the summer, the weekends are worse than the weekdays.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM

like i said i do it everyday, but i like falling out of trees too!
In the summer i take rt 60 from I-295 to norge , its 5 min slower than I-64 if you just go 65 mph on I-64.....but thats hard to do when everyone else is going 80 mph.
rt 60 is a pleasant drive no traffic and 4 lane divided highway. three lights from Anderson's corner (rt60 and rt 30) no problems ever on this road, but a lot of deer running at night beware!
going from wmburg to Richmond west would be worst once you get west of west point it starts getting busy at 5 AM. going east it doesn't get bad till you reach wmburg .

Old 03-15-2007, 10:41 PM

143 posts, read 758,236 times
Since we're on this topic, what what a Toano to Richmond commute be like?

Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 AM

toano to Richmond isn't to bad am traffic is a little rough but one can cope with it. as I stated you can drive toano to bottoms bridge with 4 lanes divided and no traffic then get on I-64 at bottoms bridge and continue to Richmond . it would be a doable drive for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond