Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 AM

4 posts, read 26,713 times

Advertisements

hii all

I'm going to VA "Richmond" to study , and I need apartment in a tenement near to Virginia Commonwealth University .

I hope that you can give me a web for a good , safety and clean tenement which renting apartments .

I need apartment which has one room , leaving room , bathroom and kitchen . And if it has a big windiws it will be better for me even if it's a small patemet .

thanks all and I'm waiting for your help .

Bye .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 AM

931 posts, read 3,801,332 times
Hi.

Most VCU students live in the area called "The Fan", which is composed of old houses and duplexes that have been converted into apartments. None of them are safe and clean. Many of them are quite disgusting.

I would recommend checking out some of the apartment complexes near the intersection of Cary St. and Belvedere. The Business School and Engineering Schools are right across the street and all other buildings are just a few blocks away. They are fairly new.

If possible, I would recommend visiting the area to see the actual apartment and the area you will be living in.

Check craigslist.com for apartment listings or just spend a day walking around campus on the streets. For Rent signs are everywhere.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:48 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,615,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Hi.

Most VCU students live in the area called "The Fan", which is composed of old houses and duplexes that have been converted into apartments. None of them are safe and clean. Many of them are quite disgusting.

The fan is actually a nice area. I think you could find a nice one bedroom that is clean and safe (for a downtown environment) for around $575-$600 in the fan. The monument ave. area of the fan is especially nice. You could also try looking in the Carytown area. Its a bit futher from VCU but doable. Best of luck!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 PM

931 posts, read 3,801,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
The fan is actually a nice area. I think you could find a nice one bedroom that is clean and safe (for a downtown environment) for around $575-$600 in the fan. The monument ave. area of the fan is especially nice. You could also try looking in the Carytown area. Its a bit futher from VCU but doable. Best of luck!
Hii

You are wrong and sound extremely ignorant.

I lived in the fan for four years. How long did you live there?

Some of the apartments on Monument are nicer, but you are going to be paying a premium price for living on Monument Ave.

The majority of the apartments are run down and leased to college kids. Why would you invest money into a property that is going to be leased by college kids? Landlords put the minimum amount of money they can into the properties. Anything <$600 a month is pretty much a crap-hole. $600-800, they get marginally better. Expect to pay $850-1100 for a nice one bedroom.

Overall, the fan is not a nice area. People are robbed and assaulted all the time. Have you ever taken a look at the Richmond Police Department website?
It's merely an average outskirt of a city. Nothing "nice" about it. Cute houses from the exterior, sure. Try walking inside them though.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,702,296 times
This thread should now be interesting to say the least..

Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 PM

I always hear that Richmond is an old city .. I mean you can see a house from 90 years !
But actually I don't know if it's really looks like what I heard or not because I didn't went to there before ..

some people told me that there is just two nice tenement near to UCV is that really ??

However , thanks all for your help and if you have more information be sure that I'm waiting for it .

Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM

ooh i forgot to say someting ::.

oleo .. I really want to see the area that's next to UCV .. I want to see how mush is the houses cute from the exterior as you say .. if you are living there can you take some photos for the area ??

and thanks alot all .

Old 02-08-2009, 12:56 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,782,300 times
Quote:
Hi.

I wouldn't go as far as to say none of them are safe or clean. I've only lived in the area for a little over two years, so you may have seen more than I, but from my general impression they are pretty decent. And I've never had a problem with safety (knock on wood).

Quote:

I would recommend checking out some of the apartment complexes near the intersection of Cary St. and Belvedere. The Business School and Engineering Schools are right across the street and all other buildings are just a few blocks away. They are fairly new.

I would agree, those apartments are pretty nice. Quite a few students live there but they aren't the typical "college apartment" that you would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I agree. Though I would say you'd have to pay a premium to grab a space on Monument.

Quote:
Hii

You are wrong and sound extremely ignorant.

That was mean. You should try a bit if netiquette, even if you think you are right. <_<

Quote:

The majority of the apartments are run down and leased to college kids. Why would you invest money into a property that is going to be leased by college kids? Landlords put the minimum amount of money they can into the properties. Anything <$600 a month is pretty much a crap-hole. $600-800, they get marginally better. Expect to pay $850-1100 for a nice one bedroom.

Overall, the fan is not a nice area. People are robbed and assaulted all the time. Have you ever taken a look at the Richmond Police Department website?
It's merely an average outskirt of a city. Nothing "nice" about it. Cute houses from the exterior, sure. Try walking inside them though.
I've been around the fan for the last 2 years or so (as previously stated) and I've never had any problems (not that they don't exist). I would not suggest you walk around the fan at 2am, but I wouldn't recommend anyone walk around any neighborhood at that time. But overall i've found the fan to be a rather pleasant place..

And to say that majority of the properties are run-down college residences is a bit misleading, to say the least. The properties are pretty nice but, of course, the 'student-aimed' housing isn't the nicest. But its definitely not bad (with the exception of a couple of apartment residences that are remarkably bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: