Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 AM

157 posts, read 569,274 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 4 and won't qualify to start Kindergarten in the fall in VA. We're from MI where the cut-off is Dec 1 and the VA cutoff is Sept 30, her bday is end of October. I've come across some info on Pre-K but can't get anything more. We're looking at Glen Allen, Mechanicsville, Midlothian, Ashland. Does anyone have any experience with it? Is it a fee-based program? Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears to be at the elementary schools. I'm also curious if it's half-day/whole day, alternate day/every day? I know every district can be different but any general info would be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
Are you referring to a free public preschool program? I'm not sure that there is much available except for economically disadvantaged children or developmentally delayed children, but I could be wrong. Everyone I know sends their children to private preschools (e.g., YMCA, church based, Montesorri, etc.). Virginia doesn't to my knowledge have a program for all four year olds to attend preschool for free (I know FL, for example, does) and in the current economic climate I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082102112.html

Old 02-19-2009, 11:57 AM

When I started looking, I saw it listed on some of the local school's websites. Is it not what I'm thinking it is? It doesn't look like Head Start (which we don't qualify for). It's been listed as "Pre-K". I'm looking at Glen Allen's elementary school's website and it's not listed. I had to ask. Not all states do things that make sense financially. Here in MI, where our economy is worse in the country, they just approved requiring districts to go all day/every day kindergarten for all students.. no cost to parents, requirement as a matter of fact.

Hmm.. maybe I was wrong. Okay, let me rephrase, any good suggestions for preschools in Glen Allen?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:06 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Call the School Systems to double-check:

Henrico County Public Schools

Chesterfield County Public Schools
804-748-1405
ccpsinfo@ccpsnet.net

Hanover County Public Schools

Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
When I started looking, I saw it listed on some of the local school's websites. Is it not what I'm thinking it is? It doesn't look like Head Start (which we don't qualify for). It's been listed as "Pre-K". I'm looking at Glen Allen's elementary school's website and it's not listed. I had to ask. Not all states do things that make sense financially. Here in MI, where our economy is worse in the country, they just approved requiring districts to go all day/every day kindergarten for all students.. no cost to parents, requirement as a matter of fact.

Hmm.. maybe I was wrong. Okay, let me rephrase, any good suggestions for preschools in Glen Allen?
I was out of VA from mid '05 to mid '08 so I didn't exactly follow it, but it sounds like the current governor campaigned on expanding the current program which is limited to the economically disadvanged but realized it wasn't feasible to implement the expansion.

I would definitely start making calls now about preschools because a lot of the registrations have already taken place. Are you interested in a church preschool or is that not for you? Shady Grove YMCA has a good preschool program. Lots of the churches in the Short Pump area have programs (I'm thinking about Mt. Vernon, Richmond Community Church and a church on Pouncey Tract--can't come up with the name). Wyndham Child Development Center has an excellent program, but my guess is it would be very tough to get a 4 year old into. A lot of the day cares also run half day preschools (Rainbow Station, Goddard, Primrose). If you are more specific about what your'e looking for you'll probably get a more on point answer.

ETA: Here's a description of who the Chesterfield program is for:
http://www.chesterfield.k12.va.us/CCPS/parents/files/PreK%20brochure.pdf (broken link)
It looks like you either have to be economically disadvantaged or be zoned for particular schools and have an educational need (whatever that means). There are also three numbers you can call to inquire about the program so they might be able to answer your questions.

The Henrico program is very small. It looks like there might be 170 children in it this year and they fill the slots with children that have the highest needs first.

Last edited by sls76; 02-19-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Thank you all so very much!

My child definitely doesn't have a "high need" and if I were to stay in MI, she'd be in Kindergarten here. She is in preschool here at a great program. What stinks is that enrollment for our preschool is in Feb and I'm sure it is in VA, too! This is a very frustrating process! I guess I will seek out a good preschool and pray that they have an opening when it happens. My husband will be down there the beginning of March, maybe I can get something figured out then.

We attend an Assemblies of God (Pentecostal) church here in MI and I'd be very happy to find an AG church that has a preschool!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM

Default West End Assembly of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by consideringamove View Post
Thank you all so very much!

My child definitely doesn't have a "high need" and if I were to stay in MI, she'd be in Kindergarten here. She is in preschool here at a great program. What stinks is that enrollment for our preschool is in Feb and I'm sure it is in VA, too! This is a very frustrating process! I guess I will seek out a good preschool and pray that they have an opening when it happens. My husband will be down there the beginning of March, maybe I can get something figured out then.

We attend an Assemblies of God (Pentecostal) church here in MI and I'd be very happy to find an AG church that has a preschool!
This might be what you're looking for. It's about 15 minutes from Short Pump.

http://www.weag.org/templates/System...075&PID=584901

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM

I will definitely look into it. A Baptist church would likely work as well.

The preschool we're in is a preschool ONLY. I don't want a daycare, I'd want a preschool or a private Kindergarten that would accept her even though she's 24 days from the cut-off.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,784 times
The cut off is September and what I see around me (Midlothian) is that most of the children with Summer birthdays (and for boys back to Spring) are held for the next year and are starting K at 6. My daughter's preschool has a 5 yo class that is just for the summer and fall 5s who either elected to stay another year or just missed the cut off.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Well then it seems that it's okay to keep her back one year. It's not really "back" since she's not old enough to go according to VA. I will learn to deal as long as I can find a preschool that I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond