U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2009, 02:14 PM

12 posts, read 21,837 times

Advertisements

I have never been to Richmond and am curious about it? I am planning a trip sometime in the spring and am considering relocating from a liberal Northeast (primarily to live in a more moderate climate) city to the mid Atlantic region.

I am wondering how bikable/walkable Richmond is? Is it really spread out or does it have concentrated city center? Also, how would you describe the creative culture of the city? Uniqueness of the restaurants/bars? Are there community gardens? Dog parks? And where would be the best place to live in order to access these places conveniently. I think from my research I would be interested in living in the Fan district, is it easy to get around or can you recommend somewhere else?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:10 PM

931 posts, read 2,656,839 times
No. Richmond is extremely spread out.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,959,945 times
Richmond's suburbs are not bike/walk friendly. However, several of Richmond urban neighborhoods are very friendly in this regard:

This could be a good resource for you: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

As far as bike friendly... I think Richmond has a long way to go compared to places like the northwest. There aren't very many bike lanes and it seems many drivers don't like sharing the road.

Where I live, I'm just a few blocks from Carytown, a few blocks from the grocery store, a butcher shop, multiple florists, schools, museums, shops, parks, etc etc. The James River Park System is also great for exploration on foot or by bike.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:01 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,292,050 times
Yes it is ! I live in The Fan and most everything is accesible by bike. Its a very nice city to ride in. I have ridden to Belle Isle when I had a mountain bike too. I have a fixed gear now.

Richmond is great for commuting by bike. Grove Ave is the best thoroughfare to travel on bikes.

Richmond has lots of art galleries, museums , live music, and events that make it very nice for creative people. I am a songwriter myself. Richmond has lots of Southern charm you wont find in most places today in the South. Its more like the Old South. Its great!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:37 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,959,945 times
I also intended to mention that there are dog parks, as well as community "tricycle" gardens.

Tricycle Gardens, Richmond VA

Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,101,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I am a songwriter myself.
I saw your testimony/Was that you playing the keyboard? You're pretty good.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
I saw your testimony/Was that you playing the keyboard? You're pretty good.
Why, yes it is.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:11 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,089,437 times
The suburbs of Richmond are not very bike friendly but the city is bike friendly...neighborhood markets, coffee shops, etc.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,276 times
No Richmond is not bike friendly, as a matter of fact Virginia is not bike friendly...nor is it liberal.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daanmaan5 View Post
No Richmond is not bike friendly, as a matter of fact Virginia is not bike friendly...nor is it liberal.
Its getting more liberal than it used to be...
Richmond is very bike friendly. So is Colonial Williamsburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond