U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:52 AM

383 posts, read 892,969 times

Advertisements

oleo-- you summed that up NICELY!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,397 times
Default Richmond has a lot to offer

I'm not sure about culture shock because I've never been to California, but Richmond is a nice city, overall. Some areas that might interest you are Windsor Farms, which is built along cliffs overlooking the James River although not too many riverview homes are for sale. This is an older, established area of the city. Better water access is on Cherokee Road, on the south bank of the James. You'll also find newer and more modern homes in this area. Mary Munford and William Fox are excellent public elementary schools in the area, or you might one to look into one of our excellent private schools. There is a boat ramp, a boat club, and other easy water access on the south side of the river. People enjoy kayaking and canoeing on the area of the James west of Huguenot Bridge and west of the Willey Bridge. Henrico County also has some VERY nice subdivisions. Any real estate agent in the Richmond area could help you out. There are some lovely homes on the north bank of the James, too, but they aren't for sale very often! Just tell them what you want and what your price range is! Prices are way down right now, so you can get some very good deals at the moment.

I do know some people who surf at Virginia Beach, about 1 1/2 hours southeast of Richmond. We also have mountains and ski areas about 3 hours to the west. Or you could venture into West Virginia to ski. There are hiking and biking trails along the James, and I think everyone in the city runs. Both Richmond City and Henrico County have parks and libraries, and we have several universities -- University of Richmond, Virginia Commonwealth University, Virginia Union University so the athletic and cultural activities just from those is amazing. We have our own symphony orchestra, live theatre, ballet (Richmond Ballet is outstanding), opera, and museums to rival those anywhere in the U.S. And if that's not enough for you, Washington, DC is only 2 hours away. We have LOTS of history -- from the Revolutionary War right on up and lots of architecture. Richmond has a lot to offer those who are interested.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 16,661 times
thank you guys so much.. the idea of moving so far away from CA is a little overwhelming but your input helps immensely .. how have the foreclosures and short sales homes effected your market.. we have easily experienced a 38-40% percent price drop (yes horrific) and 50 percent of the listings are REO/bank owned.. do you see a lot of that out here

Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,773,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyinca View Post
thank you guys so much.. the idea of moving so far away from CA is a little overwhelming but your input helps immensely .. how have the foreclosures and short sales homes effected your market.. we have easily experienced a 38-40% percent price drop (yes horrific) and 50 percent of the listings are REO/bank owned.. do you see a lot of that out here
They have increased in the last year, but in many of the nicer suburban areas they are still pretty rare. Of course they are more common in newer neighborhoods than more established neighborhoods. Lenders at this point do not consider this a declining market.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 15,455 times
I am from SoCal, yet live in the Richmond area of Virginia. 12 years later, and I still have massive culture shock and will probably never adjust to the horrid summer humidity, mosquitoes, hornets and wasps. *shudder*

If you *have* to move to Richmond, stick to Short Pump-- lots of shopping, parks, libraries, low crime rates, etc., etc.. The area is growing and just recently a Trader Joes and Whole Foods were built.

I still prefer SoCal by a long shot-- in fact, we are in the works to relocate back ASAP (OC area). I really miss my SoCal-- it's the best place on earth as far as I'm concerned, but then again, I was born and raised there, so it's home to me.

Good Luck to you.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 PM

278 posts, read 563,223 times
Hi
I have lived in the Richmond area for 30 years and am presently living in Chesterfield County. My wife and I are originally from New York. This is a very nice area to live in and raise a family in. For the most part, Schools are very good, except in the inner city, and housing prices are lower that what you are accustomed to in California. The Richmond area has a long proud history and it has much to offer the people who live here. It is a relatively small city but there is quite a bit to do and see. We are also only two hours from Washington DC and that is a city with lots of cool museums and a great zoo. DC also has much more than Richmond in the way of plays and sporting events. The mountains are also about two hours away, and they offer lots of opportunities for stuff like mountain biking, fishing and rock climbing. You will however find it very different from California. Henrico is about 2 hours from Virginia Beach but this can be very deceiving. This area is not a mecca for water sports. For one thing it is too cold for water sports about 6 months of the year. Parking at the beach is difficult, it is not like California where beach access is plentiful. The flip side of this is that during the summer, the water at the beach is warm enogh to swim in. After visiting California, I know why you guys wear swim suits even in August. This brings me to one final thing yhat you may not be aware of. It is very very hot and humid in the summer. If not for air conditioning, Richmond would be almost impossible to live in during August. This will take some getting use to and I am sure you will find it hard at first. Good luck in your move and I think you will like it here,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or