U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM

49 posts, read 136,729 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving to Richmond!! We don't know anything about the city or neighborhoods. Here's the low down: Hubby will travel all over Richmond for his job, we have two kids under 4, good preschools and a kid friendly area/neighborhood are very important. we can afford 300-450 k.

What/where are the best pre-schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:42 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,777,224 times
Are you okay with a church preschool or do you want a secular one? A lot of the good preschools here are church preschools. Also, you really want to figure out where you live before you start looking for preschools.

I personally would look in Twin Hickory or Wyndham. These are both large subdivisions with pool and sidewalks. Wyndham also has a neighborhood elementary school and some parts of the neighborhood are walkable to the school. Twin Hickory has a neighborhood elementary, but only half the neighborhood attends it. All of the public schools in this area are excellent. You are very convenient to shopping in Short Pump in these neighborhoods. In this market you could find a small 3/2 for around $300k, but you might find something up to 3,500 sq. ft. for $450k (You get a lot for your money at the top end of your price point because of the current condition of the RE market). You might also want to considering renting for a year, but if you have relocation benefits that might not make sense.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 AM

1,218 posts, read 4,556,640 times
I think one of the biggest decisions in moving to Richmond is what side of the river do you want to be on? And I'm being totally serious. As a relative newcomer myself (but I grew up about an hour from here), it seems as if Henrico and Chesterfield are the main counties, but Hanover is coming on strong. The actual city... people that live there love it, just depends if you are an urban person, or have more suburb leanings. Personally, I hate one-way streets!

Anyway, another thing to consider is where your husband will be working. Many of the Richmond roads have tolls and that may be something you want to avoid. Route 288 is wonderful and can get you around with no tolls.

And I agree with sls76. There are plenty of good preschools no matter where you end up. But preschool only lasts two years. Pick your home based on the long haul. And you might even want to start looking at the elementary and secondary schools, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not purchase a home based on the current school zoning; redistricting is a fairly common occurance here (every 2-3 years). You definitely want to choose based on the overall reputation/experience of the school system.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
And you might even want to start looking at the elementary and secondary schools, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not purchase a home based on the current school zoning; redistricting is a fairly common occurance here (every 2-3 years). You definitely want to choose based on the overall reputation/experience of the school system.
I think this is generally true, but in Henrico there are definitely exceptions to this at the elementary school level. That is, if you want a neighborhood elementary school they do exist and you do not have to worry about reassignment. Rivers Edge (which is an excellent school) is a neighborhood school for Wyndham Forest, Rivers Edge and Chappell Ridge. Shady Grove is a neighborhood school for Wyndham (with the exception of 35 homes in Edgemoor which are across the street). Also, Henrico has put some of the school building on hold and growth has slowed considerably so the reassignments are being postponed. But I think your point is good because any time you move to an area which is growing these issues exist (although nothing like what happens in Wake County NC where we moved from).

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM

383 posts, read 893,198 times
Wilmingtonmom-

Great comments from the above folks .... all are valid. Based on the price range and your generally family makeup you will have many, many options....perhaps too many, lol. I think thew preliminary decisions should include: a) what side of the river; b) urban vs suburban and c) new vs resale. Good luck!!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 PM

49 posts, read 136,729 times
We aren't really the urban type but I would be if it were the best school dist. for my kids!
Which school dists. have the best overall reputation?
What are the best private schools?

Chesterfield County? Good, Bad?

Hubby will travel A LOT so easy interstate/hwy access is impt.

Thank you all again for your help!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Best schools

Chesterfield and Western Henrico have a lot of very well regarded public schools. Hanover also has some great public schools. The best public schools are definitely in the suburbs. There are a lot of great private schools in the area too.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM

49 posts, read 157,515 times
Preschool : my daughter went to First Baptist Church in the Fan (Monument avenue) and it's GREAT, more than G-R-E-A-T . We were so happy. Now we live in Chicago and I miss this preschool.
we lived in the Fan area : great place very safe, lot of park and very easy to meet people, even if you are a foreigner like us.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM

49 posts, read 157,515 times
one more thing : go away from the "Montessori school " on monument avenue. this "school" is the worst I have ever seen : just go and look at the children face (nobody smile) :Children are like in a prison. Terrible experience : after 4 months we have decided to put my daugther to First Baptist and no more cry and yes an happy little girl who laughed.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,556,640 times
Default We're in Chesterfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonmom View Post
We aren't really the urban type but I would be if it were the best school dist. for my kids!
Which school dists. have the best overall reputation?
What are the best private schools?

Chesterfield County? Good, Bad?

Hubby will travel A LOT so easy interstate/hwy access is impt.

Thank you all again for your help!!
Wilmington - We are in Chesterfield; relocated here about 14 months ago. I have two children in the elementary schools, so unfortunately cannot comment with personal experience on the upper levels. Anyway, with that said, as a parent I have been very happy with the public schools. My kids did a mid-year move and both did well, even with the mid-year.

Chesterfield also has some neat things once you hit high school, such as specialty schools (out of your normal attendance zone) that you can apply for; and then in the lower schools (starting at grade 3) there are center-based gifted (CBG) schools where several attendance zones will send qualified students to the CBG. If you do a search on this site, you will probably come up with several threads that will give you more information.

As to where in Chesterfield, I would look at the eastern end of the county (area 52). I am 2 miles from I295, four miles from I95 and about 6 miles to Rt. 288 - Super convenient! Also, I think the values in the eastern end may hold a little better due to the BRAC growth at Ft. Lee (1 exit away on I295). If you want specific recomendations on subdivisions, give us a better idea of what you are looking for... pool community, price range, etc.

Last edited by onevthoki; 03-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Add more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or