Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:00 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer View Post
Hello. I am also researching Glenn Allen vs Midlothian.

Can you confirm reports that a Glenn Allen High School is set to open Fall 2010? Is this to alleviate the over-crowding @ Deep Run HS?

I assume Glenn Allen residents feed into Deep Run (duh)

Do residents of Glenn Allen feed into Mills E Godwin HS?

Can you tell me about Deep Run vs Godwin high schools?
It's pretty complicated. There are parts of Glen Allen that do not go to Deep Run (some parts in the 23060 zip code) and parts of Henrico (I think mainly 23233 zip code) that go to Deep Run. Schools here are at the county level and the name in front of your zip code on your address doesn't mean much. I'm not certain that Deep Run was really that overcrowded, but because this area has grown so much in the last 10 years they are constantly needing to build schools to keep up with growth. I'm not sure if there are parts of Glen Allen that feed into Godwin but I doubt it. Most of 23059 feeds into Deep Run along with parts of 23060. Parts of 23060 feed into Tucker. Some parts of 23059 (by VA Center Commons) feed into Hermitage. Also, some homes listed in Glen Allen are in Hanover County so they go to Hanover schools. Anyway, if you're looking to purchase I would recommend you find a realtor that understands the school system fairly well because it is a bit tricky.

http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/boundar...hMap052209.pdf
ETA: The Northern boundary for Godwin is South of 64 so there wouldn't be any Glen Allen addresses at Godwin.

Last edited by sls76; 06-12-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 AM

9 posts, read 43,836 times
I liveed in Midlothian before, now in Glen Allen.If u r going to pettersburg everyday south side would be better. There are many nice homes in Charter colony area.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:27 AM

185 posts, read 535,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
It's pretty complicated. There are parts of Glen Allen that do not go to Deep Run (some parts in the 23060 zip code) and parts of Henrico (I think mainly 23233 zip code) that go to Deep Run. Schools here are at the county level and the name in front of your zip code on your address doesn't mean much. I'm not certain that Deep Run was really that overcrowded, but because this area has grown so much in the last 10 years they are constantly needing to build schools to keep up with growth. I'm not sure if there are parts of Glen Allen that feed into Godwin but I doubt it. Most of 23059 feeds into Deep Run along with parts of 23060. Parts of 23060 feed into Tucker. Some parts of 23059 (by VA Center Commons) feed into Hermitage. Also, some homes listed in Glen Allen are in Hanover County so they go to Hanover schools. Anyway, if you're looking to purchase I would recommend you find a realtor that understands the school system fairly well because it is a bit tricky.

http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/boundar...hMap052209.pdf
ETA: The Northern boundary for Godwin is South of 64 so there wouldn't be any Glen Allen addresses at Godwin.
Thanks. Sounds more confusing than the Fairfax County Redistricting Process in NoVA.

What is the commute like to VCU Med Ctr from the Deer Run HS area?
Is the traffic similar to the DC area....horrendous?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
Traffic in Richmond is nowhere near as bad as traffic in the DC area.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Traffic in Richmond is nowhere near as bad as traffic in the DC area.
Completely agree. We've lived in Chicago, Tampa and Northern Virginia and traffic is pretty much a non issue here. I would guess you're looking at 20-30 minutes. Personally I don't think you can go wrong w/ Deep Run or Godwin. Also, the redistricting isn't that confusing IMO--I just think the zip code/name of town thing is a bit strange (e.g., the fact that parts of 23059 are in two counties and parts are by VA Center Commons and other parts are 15 miles away by Deep Run HS).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM

185 posts, read 535,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Completely agree. We've lived in Chicago, Tampa and Northern Virginia and traffic is pretty much a non issue here. I would guess you're looking at 20-30 minutes. Personally I don't think you can go wrong w/ Deep Run or Godwin. Also, the redistricting isn't that confusing IMO--I just think the zip code/name of town thing is a bit strange (e.g., the fact that parts of 23059 are in two counties and parts are by VA Center Commons and other parts are 15 miles away by Deep Run HS).
Is that 20 - 30 min @ rush hour? highway?

Old 06-12-2009, 12:44 PM

306 posts, read 689,836 times
I live in Midlothian. When my family and I moved here, we researched between Midlothian and Glen Allen as well. My family chose Midlothian because of the overall area and the schools. Midlothian High School is nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the nation. James River High is also well known. Midlothian Middle School is also very well known. Personally, while looking with my family we felt OVERALL, Midlothian area was better.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer View Post
Is that 20 - 30 min @ rush hour? highway?
I believe you could make it in 30 minutes during rush hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliBoy20 View Post
I live in Midlothian. When my family and I moved here, we researched between Midlothian and Glen Allen as well. My family chose Midlothian because of the overall area and the schools. Midlothian High School is nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the nation. James River High is also well known. Midlothian Middle School is also very well known. Personally, while looking with my family we felt OVERALL, Midlothian area was better.
It's pretty tough to argue that one school is objectively superior to the other. Midlothian and Deep Run were both US News Silver Medal Winners in 2008. There are tons of measures but I doubt there are big differences between the two in terms of how well they prepare students and / or what colleges students attend.

Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

These are the VA Dept. of Education Report Cards for Deep Run and Midlothian. If you look at the test scores, they are both excellent, but the Deep Run scores overall look higher.
https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=3154

https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/report...choolName=1595

Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 PM

306 posts, read 689,836 times
I will say this, if SPORTS + Academics are important for your children in school, do NOT go to Midlothian, lol. Unless you have a daughter in cross country, Midlothian sports are terrible.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,045 times
I commute to Petersburg myself from Richmond every day. There is more traffic than I expected and takes 45 min to an hour each way for me. I am also looking for a place in the Chester area. Chesterfield county schools are very good. Some were recently in the newspaper for being in the top in the nation. I get the feeling that Glen Allen is a bit hoity toity in some places but more than that I find it to just be plain overcrowded and overbuilt. If I had children, I would not want them learning to drive out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond