U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 PM

12 posts, read 15,602 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have two job offers to consider, one in Richmond.
We have 2 small children.
My question is, if anyone has a rough estimate of the gross salary needed for the household to live in Richmond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:51 PM

383 posts, read 894,866 times
Hello Me:

I can't specifically answer your question but I often refer my clients to this CNN site that allows you to compare salaries for two cities etc.... hope it helps give you an idea.

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 07-18-2009, 11:38 PM

Thank you for the reply,
I was hoping to get a rough estimate on what i would need to make to live comfortably in Richmond.
I haven't lived anywhere else in the US so i cant use the comparison calculator

Old 07-19-2009, 11:55 AM

1,295 posts, read 4,239,990 times
So where are you from?..

Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM

383 posts, read 894,866 times
Me: I think utilities are reasonable here -- housing is likewise average in my mind. Perhaps take a look at the classifieds in Richmond Times Dispatch News, Sports, and Business | Richmond Times-Dispatch to give you an idea of what you might expect for an apartment/house.

Also with the calculator i offerred you, you can put the two cities in (current and destination) and an arbitrary salary and see how those two places compare.... for Groceries, Housing, Utilities, Transporatation and Healthcare

Old 07-19-2009, 06:50 PM

157 posts, read 515,410 times
That's kind of a hard question to answer as people have different spending habits and what they consider comfortable. I'm a stay at home mom with 4 kids, bargain shopper extraordinaire and can live on a lot less than I've seen families of 4 (2 kids) live on. But I also rarely eat out, we don't spend a lot on clothing, entertainment. We only have one vehicle payment (that we're almost done paying off).

People have different views on housing, too. You mentioned having two children, are they the same gender to where you could have a 2 bedroom place? Or do you feel the need to have a 3 or 4 bedroom house so each child has their own room and you have an extra room for guests? Would you live in an apartment or condo or would you need to live in a house (either own or rent, they cost more)? Are your children in school and you need to be concerned about school district or just the safety of your neighborhood? Are you married? Do you pay daycare expenses? Are you stuck on one type of area? I strongly prefer suburbs and wouldn't be happy in a city setting, but others are fine with that. Suburbs usually cost more. Just some things to consider.

I'd look at the comparison calculators that people are offering you. I can tell you that food costs more here than it does in the part of MI I'm from. Housing is similar. In Richmond, there are a LOT of newer housing developments so they cost more (because they're newer) but they're not outrageous (in my opinion). We pay the same here for a small 4 bedroom house (rental) as we did for our comfortable sized 3 bedroom house in MI but it was an older house. But then again, if you move from California, you probably think that Richmond's CHEAP! My husband's old company has a possible transfer there and he'd have to triple his salary to make ends meet there! WOW!

Last edited by consideringamove; 07-19-2009 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM

I am from Israel. while cost of living prices there aren't too different from here salaries are about half. but then healthcare for example is close to free. since my job won't be paying healthcare in the first year. I understand that healthcare alone can come out to close to 750-1000 a month.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 AM

157 posts, read 515,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meshotet View Post
I am from Israel. while cost of living prices there aren't too different from here salaries are about half. but then healthcare for example is close to free. since my job won't be paying healthcare in the first year. I understand that healthcare alone can come out to close to 750-1000 a month.
It can. At my husband's last employer, he was a contract employee and the company provided healthcare but we paid for the entire expense. It was $700 month for the family plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or