Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:03 PM

28 posts, read 135,051 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving to Richmond at the end of the year, most likely near the fan district (I am 22 years old). I am a little wary of all the warnings from people about how people from the south can't stand people from the north. How true is this? I am outgoing and friendly and I would hate to move somewhere and not be accepted based only on where I am from.

If anyone could also tell me if Richmond is a good place for someone my age that would be great...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
My person expierence is that it is what you make of it. Story time: I dated a guy in college who was from CT. He fit in fine. His younger brother came down and spent his first year in VA talking about how he was at a rinky, dinky wanna-be souther school (Virginia Tech) and how all southerners are racist and all southerner hate northerners. Not much of a surprise he wasn't welcomed and didn't like it here. He went back up north (NY) for a year. He seemed to have a major attitude adjustment after a year, and ended up finishing college in Virginia and loving it.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
its more of a joke you must go along with such as a yankee comes to visit but a **** yankee comes to live. no real hatred, they just try to make you feel inferior.....yeah they way they crucify the english language.... i feel inferior...lol! y'all come down ya hear!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:45 AM

24 posts, read 127,203 times
Default move from NY to Richmond

Beware!!

I am a native New Yorker (lived in Brooklyn and Staten Island). I have been living in Richmond for about "8" years. I seriously do not recommend this move. What you heard is correct. The white southerners in particular do not seem to like New Yorkers (especially if you have a NY accent). My experience with them is that they are rude and unsociable. My son is 24 years old and he absolutely hates it here. As a matter of fact we are considering a move out of here to the Delaware/Philadelphia area. We have visited NY and NJ and feel so welcome there. People in these areas are much friendlier than those in the south. Many Northerners agree with me.

Hope you make the right decision.

NYCGIRL

Old 07-25-2006, 04:48 PM

27 posts, read 144,655 times
Default Take Heed

See my reply under "Two 20 Somethings Moving to Richmond". My daughter currently lives in the Fan. My wife and myself also lived there for many years. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:50 PM

27 posts, read 144,655 times
Default Take Heed

See my reply under "Two 20 Somethings Moving to Richmond". My daughter currently lives in the Fan. My wife and myself also lived there for many years. I would be glad to answer any questions. I belive in being truthful.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 13,466 times
Short and Sweet - Don't Buy The BS....Southerns do not hate Northernerns

I'm a southerner through and through and my very best friend throughout college (and still is) grew up in Conneticut. Southern's don't hate Northerners. We like to tease the Yankees, and tell them that our slow lifestyle is far superior....but you can't take a southerner's teasings to heart. We like to laugh and joke around and take life easy. It really is all in your personality and what you want to make of it. If you come down here with the idea that a southerner is going to hate you because you're from NY, you'll never make it, because we can sense that someone is looking down on us, or has expectations, and we're liable to fufill them. But if you're open and excited to meet us, you'll be greeted with the same.

I have never in my life heard someone refer to a southerner as rude and unsociable. Honestly, Richmond is a wonderful place to be. There is such a mixture of people around... especially in the Fan, what a great area to live! It is so diverse and just has a great aura. A lot of VCU students live in the fan, so you'll be surrounded by people that are your age, many of whom are coming from all across the nation - and the world!! Plus the bars, shops, and restaurants are second to none. I say follow your heart. If you treat people with openness and friendliness, you'll be greated with the same!

I hope everything works out for you!

Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 17,088 times
you should! they don't make fun of people from the north, and itls especially good for your age.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 36,995 times
You can find prejudice in any city in the country. Its here...its everywhere. But by and large the people here are friendly and hospitable. Its rather funny to hear these comments as I have a good friend who lives in NY state and he has often remarked on how different people are "down here." He says where he lives, strangers don't even look at one another much less say "hi" or "how are you?". When he was in VA years ago he was struck by how warm and friendly people were. Everybody smiled and said hello. He was amazed. lol

There will always be jokes about Southerners and Northeners but when it comes right down to it, its all about the individual. You will meet really nice people...and probably a few you don't care to be around. You just choose your friends by who you are comfortable with and have fun.

My southern 2-cents.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 11,589 times
its all bs!! i moved here from long island 8 years ago. i have met nothing but nice people. i make much more money than i did in NY and life is simpler(sp). to be honest, people in NY are ALOT WORSE than people down here in the south. the NY additude is much worse. food and night life of course do not compare in no way to new york but in all matters, LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT!! richmond is alot slower pace the new york so if your looking for lots of action then here is not the place. if your looking to settle down, buy a house, get a good job then richmond is it. if you need anything else email me

va_rican1@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond