Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 PM

5 posts, read 14,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonediva View Post
I don't totally agree with all the posts above, but you all did touch on a few things. For starters, there is a small difference in the C.O.L in the 2 areas. Considering that everything across the margin (including hair, health, utilities, etc.) we more expensive in Richmond than what I paid in NoVa and Maryland. I do not agree that Richmond is significantly cheaper.

To each is own......I don't totally agree with small town politics. Nor do I think it's easier to deal with.

I think it's hilarious to compare Henrico and Northern VA economics.

Once again---just my thoughts...
The cost of living index in Metro DC is about 140, it is about 105 in Metro Richmond (100 is average). Your utility bill might be slightly higher in Richmond, and the price of groceries might be about the same, but expenses like construction, insurance, taxes, rent are much much higher in Metro DC.

Also, I don't think its unreasonable to compare Arlington, Alexandria, or Loudon economies to Richmond or Henrico. On the other hand, it would be very unreasonalbe to compare any locality in the state to Fairfax county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Can I ask why? Why would you leave Northern VA to move to Richmond?
Perhaps because people in Richmond aren't stupid enough to consider a declining art deco plaza built in 1965 or so to be "historic?" Perhaps because in Richmond you can see stately residences with actual front porches instead of just seas of particleboard and vinyl-sided garbage on cul-de-sacs? Perhaps because in Richmond it doesn't take 45 minutes to drive 6 miles? Perhaps because in Richmond there's actually a DOWNTOWN instead of a fake yuppified afterthought called a "town center" that only the wealthy can enjoy? Perhaps because in Richmond not every 22-year-old is spoiled and wears sunglasses at night, brags about European vacations, and drives a BMW with their pinky out? Perhaps because in Richmond there are actually...gasp...non-chain businesses?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Perhaps because people in Richmond aren't stupid enough to consider a declining art deco plaza built in 1965 or so to be "historic?" Perhaps because in Richmond you can see stately residences with actual front porches instead of just seas of particleboard and vinyl-sided garbage on cul-de-sacs? Perhaps because in Richmond it doesn't take 45 minutes to drive 6 miles? Perhaps because in Richmond there's actually a DOWNTOWN instead of a fake yuppified afterthought called a "town center" that only the wealthy can enjoy? Perhaps because in Richmond not every 22-year-old is spoiled and wears sunglasses at night, brags about European vacations, and drives a BMW with their pinky out? Perhaps because in Richmond there are actually...gasp...non-chain businesses?
Dang sir, you are REALLY getting your Nova hate on!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
ScranBarre, I think you would be surprised, a lot of what goes on in Nova goes on in Richmond too. Trust me I grew up there.. there are plenty of those particalboard and vinyl homes and bmws driven by teenagers there too. And plently of chains to serve them.And it does take 45 minutes to drive 6 miles at times especially on 95 during rush hour. Dont get me wrong I love Richmond and it will always be my home but I do think you would see a lot of what you were referring to Nova as in the Richmond area too.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 AM

71 posts, read 363,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post

ScranBarre, I think you would be surprised, a lot of what goes on in Nova goes on in Richmond too. Trust me I grew up there.. there are plenty of those particalboard and vinyl homes and bmws driven by teenagers there too. And plently of chains to serve them.And it does take 45 minutes to drive 6 miles at times especially on 95 during rush hour. Dont get me wrong I love Richmond and it will always be my home but I do think you would see a lot of what you were referring to Nova as in the Richmond area too.

I absolutely agree.

Richmonders are really blinded. Are you seriously calling Downtown Richmond a REAL downtown area? For christ sakes---nothing is open in downtown Richmond on the weekend, and everything closes during the week downtown at 7pm---you can't be serious.
Traffic in downtown Richmond is no different than traffic in other parts of VA.
And I'm apalled that you believe Richmond doesn't have the same population of teenagers and yuppies walking around looking down on others--while wearing scarf and Ugg boats during the summertime!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
And I'm apalled that you believe Richmond doesn't have the same population of teenagers and yuppies walking around looking down on others--while wearing scarf and Ugg boats during the summertime!
Uhm.. Short Pump

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Uhm.. Short Pump
Which is technically in Henrico, VA as those folks like to call it. If it were up to me I certainly wouldn't claim that area as Richmond

Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Which is technically in Henrico, VA as those folks like to call it. If it were up to me I certainly wouldn't claim that area as Richmond
Are you kidding? It most certianly is Richmond.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM

470 posts, read 2,095,400 times
Quote:
Traffic in downtown Richmond is no different than traffic in other parts of VA.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but that statement is just not true.

NOVA traffic is mind-boggling, incomprehensible, insufferable, disastrous, and evil.

There's nothing in Richmond even remotely like, say, the commute from Centreville to Falls Church. 50 minutes to go 12 miles. on a normal day.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:33 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
No, that's still Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond