Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times

Advertisements

Among my group of friends the Civil War simply doesn't factor into our discussions. We have some folks from the North in the group that we'll playfully call "Damn Yankees" now and again and they'll always make a crack about winning the war but that's the extent of it. There's no animosity there at all. I guess it just depends on who you associate with. The only people making a deal out of it are the die-hards and I'd have to guess they are in the vast minority these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 12:38 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The Shenandoah Valley Va and WV were not fond of the confederates like the eastern part of VA. I have never identified with the confederates.
That is not quite true, there was a predominance of secessionists in the Shenandoah and into West Virginia up to the B&O Line.

Two West Virginias (West Virginia - The Other History)

Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
"Northerners" no longer relates to anything connected to the civil war. It is connected to transplants from NYC and its surrounding suburbs with NYC (5 boros) influences (NJ Tpke above exit 8, Rockland County, Westchester, Long Island). Instead of adjusting to the Southern lifestyle, many tried to Northernize Richmond and some of the surrounding counties. Anyone who transplanted from the NYC area upwards of 20 yrs ago can see and feel the difference compared to now. If you want to test this out do the following: Chooose a retail chain store on 250 (west Broad), shop and watch and listen to the interactions. Then choose another day and find the same named store on 60 (Midlothian) and do the same thing. Between the two you should be able to see the differences in influences. The most Northerized counties are Henrico (West End) and Chesterfied (360 west of 288). And then there are small pockets in the surounding counties (most times u can tell by driving thru the subdividsions)

Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,183 times
I see what you're saying neil.

Yankees fully infected nova and now they're pushing south and west from there.

i went to my nephew's soccer game in mannassas and couldn't believe all the new york accents i heard from parents yelling.

"Kick the bawl Joey, kick the bawl!"

Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGriffith View Post
I see what you're saying neil.

Yankees fully infected nova and now they're pushing south and west from there.

i went to my nephew's soccer game in mannassas and couldn't believe all the new york accents i heard from parents yelling.

"Kick the bawl Joey, kick the bawl!"
That's "keeyick duh bawul!" - LOL!

Sorry couldn't resist, we get the same thing here in CA.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,402,622 times
If you head out towards Lynchburg and Farville you will see more Confederate flags. Were I live many folks have pictures of General Lee hanging on the walls in their livingroom...an EVEN in the bathroom! Kid you not.

This weekend I saw people with "I support Confederate Heritage Month" stickers on ther t-shirts.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmith111 View Post
...Based on these observations and experiences, it seems that some people in Virginia and Richmond are prejudiced against others that relocate here from north of the Mason Dixon line. It also appears that some Virginians are very "cautious" or reserved around nice people and families that move here from north of the Mason Dixon line....

It's because we don't like how y'all drive!

Last edited by car54; 10-12-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
We lived in Glen Allen a short time -4 years. Originally from NY. All native Virginians were very welcoming and would always jokingly make a remark on my accent. I would say in return, of course in jest, yes I'm an Yankee and damn proud of it -took 50 years to have this accent!

The best bumper sticker I saw on a pick up truck with a confederate flag (which still gives me a laugh to this day)teach a Yankee how to drive-point them up north.

Talk about how how we drive-talk about how y'all drive in the snow- y'all need a driving lesson from a Yankee!

If it snowed in Va I'm not leaving my house.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Yup alot of them have issues with us,I'm currently living in Richmond and will probably go back home next year. Nice people overall but there is a big chunk of them that give us a hard time once you open your mouth. As far as the "yankee" thing they fail to realize the a southerner calling a northerner a yankee is like a northerner calling a southerner an inbred redneck. They think it's funny or something. And the worst part is they think were all from New York.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM

370 posts, read 1,010,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As far as the "yankee" thing they fail to realize the a southerner calling a northerner a yankee is like a northerner calling a southerner an inbred redneck. They think it's funny or something. And the worst part is they think were all from New York.
Ummm no. Do we have a baseball team called the Atlanta Inbred Rednecks? Or is this one of those assinine PC things where it's only ok to say it if you're from there? Either way it sounds like you are taking it way too personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond