Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 02:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,263,899 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We should be in Glen Allen by Jan. 18 - (I've been in No. Cal for 25 yrs. and am a tad nervous. I've never moved as an adult and I'm worried I'm more set in my ways then I realize.)

My boys are 6 yrs. and I'd love to read books to them about your region -- at age level of course -- about Richmond or Virginia in general, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, DC etc. Just to give them the flavor.

Any dvd's to suggest on Richmond or Virginia?

Anything would be helpful. I'm trying to give them a picture of what we're doing.

Thanks,

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:48 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,695,847 times
What a great idea. I can't think of anything specific, but maybe google children's book stores in Richmond and tell them what you're looking for and ask for suggestions.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:02 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times
May not be for the kids but I like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zLPM8FLMtk

although most events didn't take place in Richmond its still pretty good.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM

542 posts, read 991,624 times
I'm kinda late on this, but anything on Patrick Henry would be cool I think. There has to be something out there that caters to kids about the "Liberty or Death" speech and story. So as you drive cross country they can get familier with the history, and then when you get to Richmond take them to the church downtown where it actually took place so they can see it in person. Just a thought.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,588 times
If you haven't already enrolled them in a self defense course, I would strongly urge that you do. If you or your kids don't already have a CWP, I would get one also. I'd start by going to the SPCA to get a trained attack dog. The German Shepard is great.

As for movie recommendations:

Don't be a Menace

Spun

Apocalypto

Old 12-05-2009, 01:20 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_monk View Post
If you haven't already enrolled them in a self defense course, I would strongly urge that you do. If you or your kids don't already have a CWP, I would get one also. I'd start by going to the SPCA to get a trained attack dog. The German Shepard is great.

As for movie recommendations:

Don't be a Menace

Spun

Apocalypto

Good grief...she is moving to GLEN ALLEN not CHAD!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I'm kinda late on this, but anything on Patrick Henry would be cool I think. There has to be something out there that caters to kids about the "Liberty or Death" speech and story. So as you drive cross country they can get familier with the history, and then when you get to Richmond take them to the church downtown where it actually took place so they can see it in person. Just a thought.

Good idea actually. You can even go see a reenactment as I did when I first moved here!

Sunday Summer Reenactments of Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" Speech - Virginia Is For Lovers

Old 12-05-2009, 09:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
I can't think of any books or dvds, but you could call the Richmond City Library and talk to the Children's Librarian. I'm sure she/he would know. Richmond is a wonderful city full of history. There's a delightful Children's Museum and you're only an hour or so from Williamsburg/Jamestown. Your boys will also love a day trip to Norfolk to see battleships! Good luck!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I can't think of any books or dvds, but you could call the Richmond City Library and talk to the Children's Librarian. I'm sure she/he would know. Richmond is a wonderful city full of history. There's a delightful Children's Museum and you're only an hour or so from Williamsburg/Jamestown. Your boys will also love a day trip to Norfolk to see battleships! Good luck!

I forgot about the Children's Science Museum of Virginia! That's a really fun place!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
The newest Richmond Magazine has a list of great things that are must sees and must do's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond