Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:53 AM

185 posts, read 535,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, not nearly the same amount of cars but there are areas (west) and there are so many hills and these make for many dangerous blind spots. It also seems the lights are completely off so you will hit every red light...

I fell in love with the "so many hills" when we were in VA last summer.
It may get old once we are there but by golly, your state is absolutely beautiful. As long as the traffic isn't like NoVA or the SF Bay Area,
I'll be content.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 08:54 AM

185 posts, read 535,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieb128 View Post
For that neighborhood I think you get to bypass Hull Street!
Whew.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 AM

130 posts, read 296,999 times
Default Keeping up with Joneses is up to the individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
Your best option for getting away from the snootiness (living in the City) is unfortunately one of the worst options for schools unless your kids are in elementary and you can live in Stratford Hills, the Fan, or possibly a few areas in the Northside. That or private school of course. But Short Pump is definitely not a great place if you are trying to get away from the Joneses. Who knows though. You have a couple months to adjust and you may love all the chain shoping options and perhaps people won't be as bad as you think they are going to be. There are always exceptions to the rule and often stereotypes are overblown. I have a friend out in the Shot Pump area and we give him a pretty hard time about it but he's a down-to-earth guy and I'm sure there are many others like him out there. I just get the sense that a lot of people live out there because they think they are supposed to or because they think it offers some sort of elevated social status.
I'm tired of hearing people comment on moving out of a certain area to get away from the keeping-up syndrome. IMO it's up to the individual to follow the crowd just to feel accepted or be confident with your own choices and not get intimidated by hoity-toity people who behave like that precisely because they are trying to prove something. These people are not accustomed to their "upgraded" lifestyle and have the need to be uppity about it. People of good breeding don't behave like that, so I'd find friends elsewhere. Give them the who-are-you-to-judge-me-look -- and look the part. My point is, if you behave like an ignorant hillbilly and you have neighbors of the opposite spectrum, what did you expect?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 3,442 times
Stayed at Oakwood. It's fine for temporary housing. It has a nice pool, tennis courts, BBQ area, and is conveniently located near restaurants and stores.

Short Pump is TOTALLY auto dependent. You cannot walk from Oakwood to... anywhere. It's not Short Pump's fault as sidewalks do not exist anywhere in Richmond's poorly designed exurbia.

Short Pump is a mecca for all things chain: retail, restaurants, and home-builders. It's all surface parking and vinyl siding. There are strip malls on literally every corner.

Very bourgeois: no history, no character, no originality, no charm.

Midlothian has some promise. It's also very auto dependent, but has the benefit of having some nice original homes and new, new urbanist neighborhoods. Oak Park off Robious/Huguenot is very nice.

Personally, I'd advise against anything on the NE side of Genito on Hull St. and east of Woolridge on the Midlo TPK. Hull St is another crass retail assault on the senses altogether: cul-de-sacs feeding into giant collector road strip mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond