Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,549 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to the Richmond VA area, specifically, a place 30 minutes or less to Glen Allen. My son will be living in Glen Allen and we need to be closed to him. We work out of our home, but would really, ideally love to be on a lake. Our church is of great importance to us, as well. We are looking for a Church of God church. So far, we have only found 2 in the area, but they have less than 100 in their congregation. We would like a larger church, with a really great worship arts program. So, back to the Glen Allen area. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place to live or to a church to visit??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 04:13 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
youo can search some the counties around there for your church. How about: Midlothian, Goochland, chesterfield, Hanover, Ashland, Louisa.

good luck on finding your church home.

Shelly

Old 05-20-2007, 06:40 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
I live in Glen Allen and love it. What kind of community and housing are you looking for? Thirty minutes from Glen Allen can put you way out in farm and horse country if you head in one direction, or deep into the suburbs or city in the other. Can you name the neighborhood or development your son is moving to?

Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,631 times
You mentioned wanting to live on a lake. Check out Lake Anna. It might be a little farther from Glen Allen then you want, but the commute probably wouldn't be that bad. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM

743 posts, read 3,899,466 times
A perfect lake for you to check out would be the Swift Creek Resv. And the communities of Woodlake and Brandermill. They surround a 1770 acre lake. Most homes were built in the 90's, with a few a little older, and a few newer. That area is 20-30 minutes away from glenn allen up the new highway (288).

Also, my wife works in Glenn Allen, and we live in Ladysmith Village, in Caroline. It's a nice planned community, that will have it's own shopping, YMCA, community center, library, and other things. From here it is about a 30 minute drive down I-95 and then 295.

Good luck

Old 05-22-2007, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 68,934 times
We are settling on a house that actually backs up to Swift Creek Reservoir in a development called Fox Fire at the end of June. The reservoir is beautiful. Because it is a drinking water source, they don't allow gas powered motors, but you can use electric motors. So, it isn't going to have a bunch of jet skiers running about. You didn't mention your price range, but you can search on Realtor.com for Midlothian, Va or I think if you search Chesterfield a lot of listings come up. I don't know about churches down there. Our new zipcode will be 23120.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM

743 posts, read 3,899,466 times
I forgot to mention Lake Caroline in Caroline County. It's a smaller lake, and it's mostly older homes... but there is some new construction in there, or if you like older homes, then you'd be set. (by older, I mean like... the 70's)

Just another thought... would be about 30 minutes away.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:13 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,313,836 times
Also, Lake Chesdin in southern Chesterfield County may be an option. A lot of it will depend on your price range for a home.

Also, I don't know of Church of God congregation locations first hand, but here is a link to a list of those in the Richmond area. It lists 20.
http://www.usachurch.com/virginia/ri...d_churches.htm

Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
I live in the Glenn Allen area, just to clarify Glenn Allen is not a "town" in fact there are no incorporated towns, villeges etc in Henrico County, the county it self is incorporated as a governing body. Glenn Allen(GA) represents a postal district that spread over 2 counties (Henrico & Hanover) but here if you say Glenn Allen or Insbrook everyone knows where you mean.

With your desire to be near your son looking south of the river in Chesterfield County might not be practical. Large lakes are scarse in this area and housing costs vary over a wide range depending what you want. However if you are moving from the NY area you will probally think our prices are cheap. As mentioned by others you can go from City to rural country within 30 minutes it just depends on your preferences. I prefer to avoid a water crossing in my commute due to my experiences.

I wish you good luck, i'm sure you'll find whats right for you.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,313,836 times
Using 288 to get to Glen Allen from the Swift Creek Reservoir area makes the distance to family definitely doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond