U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:36 PM

486 posts, read 1,735,277 times

Advertisements

I have noticed on these boards that people are constantly calling the West End "stuck-up". I haven't ever noticed it to be any worse there than south of the river. What are the experiences of other people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

383 posts, read 873,676 times
I never heard it had a bad rep!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:28 PM

370 posts, read 859,245 times
I think the West End mainly gets bashed in the context of the suburban vs urban development argument. There's nothing at all that sets it apart from any other suburb in the country (including Midlothian) which is a good thing to some folks and a detriment to others. If strip malls, chain stores/restaurants, and sprawl development are your style then I think both the West End and Chesterfield-Midlo areas are well-suited for you. I couldn't say one is better than the other.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Are you referring to the Far West End area (Short Pump) or the West End (Cary Street, Glenburnie, Tuckahoe areas)?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Far West End (rt 250 area) vs. lets say Midlothian (rt 60 area) yes there is a noticable difference. Its noticed mostly in the driving habits. Secondly it is noticable in retail locations where the customers seem to be extremely more demanding on the staff versus the same locations south of the river. As you get to older areas (greater than 20 yrs of age) it becomes less noticable (Glenburnie, Tuckahoe areas)(Cary Street area is different from both in other ways - The Village in NY comes to mind).

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Far West End (rt 250 area) vs. lets say Midlothian (rt 60 area) yes there is a noticable difference. Its noticed mostly in the driving habits. Secondly it is noticable in retail locations where the customers seem to be extremely more demanding on the staff versus the same locations south of the river. As you get to older areas (greater than 20 yrs of age) it becomes less noticable (Glenburnie, Tuckahoe areas)(Cary Street area is different from both in other ways - The Village in NY comes to mind).
I don't know how "driving habits" are categorized as stuck up, but they seem the same to me in both areas. I do most of my shopping on the West End and was in the Midlothian area over the weekend, where I noticed people were especially assy. The lady wrapping her nails on the counter behind me at Dick's, the guy at Fresh Market letting his kid run wild, the employee at Best Buy who acted like it was a big pain to show me where the cases for my smart phone were. That's why I started this thread. I'm sure I could have the same experiences in the Far West End, but Midlothian doesn't seem better to me at all.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:47 AM

1,802 posts, read 5,518,604 times
I think most people are friendly in the West End and Midlothian. Different areas have different types of rude, and rude people can be found anywhere.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 AM

2,697 posts, read 7,613,744 times
Because it makes some people feel better to put down other people and their choices! People in the Far West End must be stupid to pay a premium to live there relative to Midlothian and they're all snobby, inconsiderate, rude, bad drivers, have unruly and spoiled children, etc.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 AM

20,894 posts, read 22,678,977 times
Driving through the FWE a more important than others driving habit is more noticeable. Stop signs and red lights have become optional. Take a drive on West Broad or Parham and look down at the ground at the intersections and you'll see left over debris from accidents at nearly every intersection. I didn't say Midlothian was better, its just less. It became more noticeable during the 2000's. As to retail. You need to compare same to same to notice (ie BestBuy to BestBuy).

Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,483,414 times
Nickel millionares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond