Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 35,158 times

Advertisements

From some initial reading on-line it looks like Deep Creek and Godwin have the reputations as being the strongest public high schools in the Northern Richmond suburbs.

What are the characteristics of each district?

Is one better than the other?

My kids aren't even in elementary school yet, so I know things can change, but just trying to plan ahead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,677,662 times
I think you mean Deep Run. I don't believe you can go wrong with either. I can't say there's much distinction between the two and by the time your kids are in high school there's a good possiblity there will be lots of reassignments because of growth (there is a new high school to be built near Deep Run--not sure what the status is because of the economy, but I believe Deep Run is pretty close to capacity and the student body keeps growing). Personally, I'd focus on an elementary school because if you feed into Short Pump or Pocahontas Middles or Deep Run or Godwin High Schools you'll be in good shape.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,287,732 times
Deep Creek is in Chesapeake, you mean Deep Run.

Deep Run is north of I64 and the neighborhoods on that side are slightly richer, but that would be the only difference between Godwin / DR. As the previous poster had said there is a new high school scheduled to open this fall, and they are likely to redraw the lines. My bet would be that Godwin / Deep Run / and the new high school will all be considered the best. Freeman, Tucker, and Hermitage are good too though.

Also, each high school has a specialty center. Godwin's is Math & Science, Deep Run is Info Techology, Freeman is leadership, Henrico is Arts, Hermitage is center for Humanities, Tucker is center for World Languages. So you could make your choice based on your childs interests and encourage them to pursue one of these specialties - I didn't do it (I went to Godwin), but it's something to think about.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,677,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
Deep Creek is in Chesapeake, you mean Deep Run.

Deep Run is north of I64 and the neighborhoods on that side are slightly richer, but that would be the only difference between Godwin / DR. As the previous poster had said there is a new high school scheduled to open this fall, and they are likely to redraw the lines. My bet would be that Godwin / Deep Run / and the new high school will all be considered the best. Freeman, Tucker, and Hermitage are good too though.

Also, each high school has a specialty center. Godwin's is Math & Science, Deep Run is Info Techology, Freeman is leadership, Henrico is Arts, Hermitage is center for Humanities, Tucker is center for World Languages. So you could make your choice based on your childs interests and encourage them to pursue one of these specialties - I didn't do it (I went to Godwin), but it's something to think about.
I think generally you are correct, but Deep Run does currently pull from some neighborhoods on the other side of Broad St./64. I would guess that Deep Run attendance skews slightly more affluent/homes are generally newer and Godwin tends to have a more stable population (meaning people have lived in their homes for 5+ years).

http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/boundaries/high/high.pdf

Also, your point about specialty centers is interesting and honestly I didn't know the details of those, but it may be tough for the OP to figure out his children's interests as teenagers when they're not even in elementary school. I have heard really neat things about the robotics program at Deep Run, but that's certainly not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: