Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times

Advertisements

MrSteward brings up a valid point that I hadn't thought of... will your daughter be a day student or living on campus? If so, eastern Chesterfield might be the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:06 AM

10 posts, read 25,761 times
She will be living on campus full time, but my Husband started working in Ashland in January and is staying with his brother in Tappahannock during the week.

His new job is the reason for us relocating.

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,659 times
Petersburg Is the last place I would move, especially If you have children going to public schools. The school sytem sucks and there are not many neighborhoods I would live in . Crime is on the rise as well. Im from petersburg and I moved to chesterfield after my son became school aged. Henrico county is close to ashland and its a pretty decent I would look there first ,also chesterfield,colonial heights and prince george are great counties/cities surrounding Petersburg . Hope you find something soon.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:41 PM

20 posts, read 79,759 times
Petersburg isn't that bad, depending on where you live. (I feel the need to stick up for it since the other posts have been so negative.) I have yet to witness/experience any sort of crime and I do plenty of walking and running around town. I certainly haven't noticed any rise in crime. That said, the schools are atrocious and I don't think that too many people with kids choose to move here unless they're planning to use private schools. I wouldn't have a problem with that option but I know other people feel differently. Petersburg definitely isn't for everyone though. It really depends on what you're looking for; I moved here to renovate an historic house and have never regretted buying it. I think most of my neighbors feel the same way.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

42 posts, read 115,656 times
Ashland and the surrounding area is exactly the type of area you're looking for - great schools (Hanover Co. district ranked 5th in Virginia according to schooldigger.com) and very low crime. I know you said that it is out of your price range, but perhaps if you work with a realtor you can find something? The town of Ashland has some smaller less expensive homes, and the same is true for the rural areas surrounding it. The difference between Petersburg and Hanover Co. is really night and day.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 23,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklex View Post
The difference between Petersburg and Hanover Co. is really night and day.
That's another polite southern euphemism for "black and white".

Old 03-13-2010, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
Default Schools near Ashland: Urgent!

If your daughter will be entering grade 5, you would want to live near Cool Spring Elementary and Chickahominy Middle in Hanover County. Ashland is the major town in Hanover. You might look at Chickahominy Oaks, any subdivisions off Atlee Station Road, Kings Charter, etc. These are some of the highest ranked schools in the Commonwealth. I have been teaching here for the last five years and am due to retire this fall. This is an excellent school division.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 25,761 times
Thank you for all of everyones help

Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
good for you felicitile! That's what makes cities better places

Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,984 times
Default Coming Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitile View Post
Petersburg definitely isn't for everyone though. It really depends on what you're looking for; I moved here to renovate an historic house and have never regretted buying it. I think most of my neighbors feel the same way.

Both my kids graduated from ARGS, and the PPS gave them an excellent start. I am a proud product of the Petersburg Public schools, and the University of Virginia.
I really want to move back home to Petersburg after I retire in the fall. Henrico has been wonderful, but home is where the heart is (friends, family, church, etc.). I would like to rent a 3-bedroom apt., but most of the new construction is 2bd. If you hear of anything, please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond