Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,196 times

Advertisements

Nebat nailed it on the first guess. Pay the man, Shirley....

Looking forward to September my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM

29 posts, read 93,341 times
Today, after spending some time at my workplace catching up on my workload, I decided to take a drive out on 64 to familiarize myself with some of the things out that way.

I drove to Williamsburg, and drove around a bit. It is a very beautiful place, I can't wait until I have more time and money to explore it further, especially when my friends from back home visit me here.

It was a lot more than I expected it to be.

There is just so much to see and do here, I'm loving the area more and more every day.

On my way back, while traveling west on 64, about 1/10 of a mile in front of me an SUV swerved off of the road. It flipped about 3-4 times and landed sideways on the passenger side. I immmediately pulled to the side and jumped out of my car and ran over to assist. I didn't call 911 because I knew others did (I seen everyone on cell phones) plus not knowing the area, I knew I would just confuse things. Besides I had more pressing issues at the time. The people inside were shook up quite a bit from the roll they took.

Another man and a lady got to the vehicle just ahead of me and the man was trying to pull the sunroof off to help them out. It didn't help that nobody in the car spoke english. They were hispanics of some sort, probably mexicans. I told the guy, lets get the door open... but it was locked.. after a few seconds of knocking on the window screaming at them to unlock the door they did, and by that time there were others there. After a few seconds of struggling, me and the first guy managed to get the door open and helped them out of the car. Luckily the people inside didn't seem to be hurt too badly, and we got them out of the vehicle safely. Everyone that stopped was extremely helpful.

One guy was just in the car digging around for things when I noticed liquid just gushing out by the motor. It looked like water and I didn't smell gas but I didn't want to take any chances. All this time I was holding the door open and the guy refused to get out of the car (he wasn't hurt, he was looking for things in the car). I tried to tell him in "Spanglish" to get out NOWWWW. Vamanos MotherF-----R!!!!! You can stay here, I'm not gonna be here when the gas ignites if I can help it.. but I couldn't let go of the door, It might not open again. Finally, a lady was there that spoke Spanish fluently and explained to the guy that his life was more important than anything in the car, yet he still dug around the car for a good 3-5 minutes. All this time I'm holding the door open over my head and I'm losing patience. Finally I told the lady, "Tell him to get out NOW" She said "he's shook up some and trying to find his things" and I said "He's not holding the door.... I am! and the engine could be leaking gasoline! He can get his things later!"
Another guy (who stopped in an 18 wheeler) was behind me asking about everyone. We helped the the guy out of the vehicle, then the state police rolled up. While walking to our vehicles the trucker said he was a firefighter in Fredricksburg for 11 years. I shook his hand and bailed as the cop was parking his ride.

On the way back into town I seen a ton of firetrucks and ambulances rushing to the site down 64 from Richmond. I hope they weren't hurt too badly, I know they'll be feeling it tomorrow.

Thank you to all the people who stopped and and gave assistance, whoever you are.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:17 PM

P.S. I went to the race on Friday night and had a pass for the pits/garage area too. It was totally awesome, my first ever NASCAR event. I'll be going to more someday.

The cars were really loud and really fast! Alot faster than they look on TV. While i was in the garage area I had to dodge a couple of them that were rolling off the tracks after wrecking etc. It was great seeing the mechanics in action working on the cars. I finally got to see the insides of the cars and under the hoods up close. Those are awesome pieces of machinery. Very impressive indeed.

I also enjoyed all of the things they were doing outside in the lots before the race. That was great fun, and really made the entire experience one to remember forever.

Last edited by ImNewHere; 05-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 PM

54 posts, read 154,867 times
all i can say is wow! god i love richmond lol to be new to this town and to witness that is sorta exciting honestly. man i wish i was back in richmond just exploring different areas is always fun.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM

6 posts, read 6,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNewHere View Post
P.S. I went to the race on Friday night and had a pass for the pits/garage area too. It was totally awesome, my first ever NASCAR event. I'll be going to more someday.

The cars were really loud and really fast! Alot faster than they look on TV. While i was in the garage area I had to dodge a couple of them that were rolling off the tracks after wrecking etc. It was great seeing the mechanics in action working on the cars. I finally got to see the insides of the cars and under the hoods up close. Those are awesome pieces of machinery. Very impressive indeed.

I also enjoyed all of the things they were doing outside in the lots before the race. That was great fun, and really made the entire experience one to remember forever.

like the previous poster i agree that your excitement about richmond is great to hear. I am thinking of moving to richmond myself and your post are a breath of fresh air. Typically, with a review of anything on the internet you only hear the bad because those are the people who take the time to post. You rarely hear from people who are happy and your posts are a great addition to this forum.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 PM

well.. everyone's experience will be their own. I can only talk about mine.

Personally, I love antiques etc so the very old buildings are like a living museum to me. True craftsmanship that simply doesn't exist anymore. Sometimes they attempt to replicate it, but succeed only rarely.

I could spend days wandering and just looking at all the old houses, they truly fascinate me. I could never tire at looking at them.

I own an antique coal/wood burning stove. It has a certain charm to it. It's not overly ornate as far as antique stoves go, but it is light years ahead of modern appliances in appearance. Is has nickel plating (nickels aren't even made of nickel anymore) and when people see it 9 out of 10 are mesmerized by it. People try to buy it from me all the time. "My wife would just LOVE to have that!!!." These homes and buildings are just like it. My stove belongs in one of those homes! It would be a perfect match. I hope someday to live right in the middle of them all. Maybe I'll hit the powerball one day and buy myself an entire block of them... lol..

From my experience here so far, all of the photos of old buildings etc do absolutely NO justice to how they look up close and in person. The entire area should be protected forever for future generations to enjoy. I'm pretty sure that many of them are. Walking by them has even proven to be too fast of a look for me. I find myself time and time again just wanting to stand there and take it all in... and as soon as I walk a very short distance, having to do it again. They are have their own look and character. Some people add things and make them more interesting by utilizing plants etc, but the ones that are just "naked" are just as fascinating due to the architecture and the detailing alone. The only way I can think of to describe it is, they all have their own personalities.

I've been to a LOT of cities in the US. Not all, but a lot. Overall, Richmond beats all I've been to. I'm sure there are many beautiful places throughout the world, but this city is a must see. It has a unique feel. The one thing that is most amazing to me is the amount of them. All cities have at least SOME old buildings, the ones that have survived progress, but Richmond has an overabundance. And some very thriving areas that are full of life!

It's almost amusement park-like to me. It just doesn't seem real, coming from where I came from.

People that grow up around something, or have spent a long time someplace seem to appreciate the things where they live less than others. Not all people mind you, but a lot of them do. Just think if you lived in Vegas. How many times can you see all of that stuff without hating it or just simply not taking notice of it? I can understand some not having the same appreciation for it as I do. Plus the fact that I liked old buildings far before I got to Richmond helps my attitude in this aspect.

I can't wait to actually get out and walk around in Williamsburg too. It is way more interesting than I thought it would be. I hope I live long enough to do all the things I want to do around here.

Seriously though, don't come here unless you already have a good job set up etc. You don't want to be struggling in ANY city, no matter how much charm it has. In short, if I were broke, I'm sure my experiences here wouldn't be going as good as they are. I fell both fortunate and blessed that I got this opportunity and that it's in the city it's in. How lucky can a guy get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond