Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:05 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times

Advertisements

Zuppa has a great tomato soup... I had a red pepper and crab soup recently which was equally tasty.

If you're facing the Science Museum, to the left (west) is the Children's Museum of Richmond (1-story) and to the right (east) is the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) building (multi-story).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:08 AM

60 posts, read 330,188 times
Default Depressing Richmond? - I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Richmond is like Cleveland, but without pro sports or the waterfront. I think that makes it pretty damn depressing.
Well if I had to root for the Browns and the Indians, I too would be depressed.
Of course it hardly ever snows here, VA Beach is two hours SW,
Washington DC is two hours north and the
Blue Ridge Mountains are two hours west.

As it is we DO have minor league Hockey, Soccer, college Football, basketball
and ton of participant oriented sports.

I am betting Cleveland doesn't have whitewater rafting available
within sight of downtown or mountain biking right in the city.

It can be kinda boring if you lack imagination.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM

60 posts, read 330,188 times
Default The Science Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hampshire View Post
By the way, what is that architectually-stunning building next to the Science Museum?
Unless you are dripping with sarcasm you are talking about the Science Museum itself, which is a grand old railroad station right next to the Children's Museum and the IMax theater.

There is a Stalinist monstrosity next to it, the DMV building, which in my mind is the ugliest building in the city. Someday it will make a great prison or if we're lucky someone will blow it up (with the proper permits of course).

Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 23,521 times
i love how you said "shocked to see that almost everyone was african american"

who cares? Richmond is fine, let it be.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:06 PM

86 posts, read 367,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Hammond View Post
Unless you are dripping with sarcasm you are talking about the Science Museum itself, which is a grand old railroad station right next to the Children's Museum and the IMax theater.

There is a Stalinist monstrosity next to it, the DMV building, which in my mind is the ugliest building in the city. Someday it will make a great prison or if we're lucky someone will blow it up (with the proper permits of course).
I think it is the DMV building that RichmondPics described. It is multi-story, black windows surrounded by white construction. No sarcasm, I thought it stunningly attractive.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
If the original poster notices that everyone is black, there may be an issue. Are whites unwelcome or afraid to walk the streets of Richmond? I don't think so. I used to read gas and water meters for the City of Richmond in the mid '80's during the summer. I did not have any problems with ANYONE in the city.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Racism is a decease. City-Data is loaded with it unfortunately. I wish mods would just erase threads showing negative connotations toward a certain race or group of people.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
My neighborhood in Henrico is more diverse than the one I grew up in on Long Island.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:28 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
instead of belly aching about this "depressing" city of ours, why don' t you try helping? Run for a city council seat, sit on the board of a community based non profit, cook for and serve the homeless but please spare us your whining behind your computer. I challenge you to make a difference.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond