Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM

246 posts, read 780,753 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't travel through WV any more than I had to because of the hills and curves, even on the interstate. I just traveled to Pittsburgh and back in September. We took 81 to 70 to the PA turnpike. That's a very flat route, and a fast one.

Anyway, I've moved around the mid-Atlantic a little bit and Roanoke is as cheap to live as anywhere, certainly for a city in Virginia. It's much costlier to live in Richmond, tidewater, or NOVA due to housing costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 AM

117 posts, read 391,351 times

Driving through WV is some of the most fun and beautiful experience I've ever had!!!!!!!!! I LOVE I-77!!! Even with a stick!

Oh, and Roanoke IS eminently affordable. One of the real bonuses to the area.

Last edited by gottaGetOut; 12-10-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM

246 posts, read 780,753 times
An acquaintance of mine is moving from suburban Botetourt to Richmond any day now. His quote when I saw him on Saturday was, "Even in this economy, houses are 30 to 40% higher in Richmond than in Roanoke."

Old 12-27-2008, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 21,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
An acquaintance of mine is moving from suburban Botetourt to Richmond any day now. His quote when I saw him on Saturday was, "Even in this economy, houses are 30 to 40% higher in Richmond than in Roanoke."

Sure, but I made twice as much living in Richmond. Salaries in Roanoke leave much to be desired. I'm visiting family in Ann Arbor, MI at the moment, where I have discovered that my cousin, who is also a nanny, makes 4 times as much as me, but pays the same for housing and only slightly more for gas. We have similar backgrounds and experience and both make the average rate for our areas.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:11 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,608,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Poor guy!

Old 11-22-2014, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 943 times
I've lived in Roanoke most of my life, I've seen the cost of renting in particular go up tremendously. As for buying it's not so bad here..limited jobs, several churches in the area as mentioned..the local police force that make up Roanoke city, & Roanoke county are a bit excessive to say the least..definitely not a small town feel, as previously mentioned a ton of jobs in healthcare, road construction, local/federal government, & the railroad.. If your loosing 60%of your pay, heck even 0.5% of your pay I wouldn't consider this area, there is one option if your dead set in moving here, and that's living outside of Roanoke & commuting..for example: Bedford (about 30 min away) has a pretty low cost of living, you'd just have to factor the gas, and see if it's worth it.. IMO (take it or leave it).. I've traveled all over the place.. I'd consider another area.. I most certainly would if my family situation permitted. Best of luck.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:37 PM

94 posts, read 154,232 times
If someone has been away from Roanoke for over 5 years they wouldn't believe how this place has changed, especially in the
Downtown area near the Hospital VA Tech area. Tons of young professionals live downtown with higher income couples,
Tourists, bus groups visiting the downtown museums. The new Am track service will increase tourism soon. I predict in a few
Years more higher incomes will move here making Roanoke a more expensive place to live. Higher paying jobs have always been a weakness here. So many good jobs from VA grown companies are still stolen by aggressive North Carolina with tax incentives. We are very similar to Asheville I believe, plus the terrain doesn't allow for unlimited flat land for big companies to expand. In other words, if you are an affluent retiree look at the excellent quality of life here, but please don't tell too many people as the secret may get out. We like our isolation as the "economic development" people of Roanoke County, Botetourt
Like to talk and joke about!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:16 PM

90 posts, read 216,973 times
Great post Mtn Living.

I like your prediction.

However, I road through A'ville earlier this year. I do not think we are like them. They are fairly big. We are smaller.

Gasloine here is about the cheapest i have ever seen. But will go up soon.

Not sure about commuiting. I heard Bedford was increasing their property tax.
I recommed living close to down town (up to five miles) and not having a car. Farmer's market, and car pooling for big store shopping.
Walk and bicycle!

Last edited by Lucky_Town; 11-22-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 PM

90 posts, read 216,973 times
Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colefuq View Post
I've lived in Roanoke most of my life, I've seen the cost of renting in particular go up tremendously. As for buying it's not so bad here..limited jobs, several churches in the area as mentioned..the local police force that make up Roanoke city, & Roanoke county are a bit excessive to say the least..definitely not a small town feel, as previously mentioned a ton of jobs in healthcare, road construction, local/federal government, & the railroad.. If your loosing 60%of your pay, heck even 0.5% of your pay I wouldn't consider this area, there is one option if your dead set in moving here, and that's living outside of Roanoke & commuting..for example: Bedford (about 30 min away) has a pretty low cost of living, you'd just have to factor the gas, and see if it's worth it.. IMO (take it or leave it).. I've traveled all over the place.. I'd consider another area.. I most certainly would if my family situation permitted. Best of luck.
Good to read your post.

What other areas would you like to live in?

Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 AM

2,278 posts, read 4,039,393 times
Roanoke now has UBER which is a great option for those who may try to go carless.

The Asheville metro area population is somewhat larger than Roanoke's - 437K to 311K - but not a huge difference.

Not sure why Asheville may "seem" significantly larger - maybe a lot more tourists and "second home/second condo" development.

About 10 years ago I first started researching Asheville as a potential spot for relocation, and my thoughts wound up steering toward Roanoke instead. Now we are here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Town View Post
Great post Mtn Living.

I like your prediction.

However, I road through A'ville earlier this year. I do not think we are like them. They are fairly big. We are smaller.

Gasloine here is about the cheapest i have ever seen. But will go up soon.

Not sure about commuiting. I heard Bedford was increasing their property tax.
I recommed living close to down town (up to five miles) and not having a car. Farmer's market, and car pooling for big store shopping.
Walk and bicycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area