Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 46,024 times

Advertisements

my husband and I are trying to find a nice place to retire up north. we now live in florida and I hate it here. I have been searching and searching for close to a year now. My first choice was Marquette, mi but that is so far from family. I have family in charlotte, nc and nashville so roanoke or c'ville seemed like a good middle point. I just do not want to feel the racial tension everytime we go somewhere. My husband doesn't care one way or the other as he can make a friend out of anyone regardless of color or ethnic background or views. He just has that nack. I on the other hand do care what people think of me and hate to feel uneasy around people who hate and/or judge. As I said, we are looking to retire in a couple of years and would appreciate any views on racism (if we could be accepted as an interracial couple) and living costs. Thank you for all your input. I have been to roanoke (windy hill key) apts. and they were quite nice but that was over 10 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:01 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Someone posted a similar question a couple of months ago. You'll have no problem. I live near Roanoke and on a recent trip to the city and its surroundings, I noticed a lot of interracial couples and mixed-race children there. I'm not saying that no one will give you the stink eye or that no one will ever make an offensive comment about your marriage, but, overall, you will be fine to move there.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Windy Hill Key is still quite nice, we looked at it when we moved here 2 years ago. You're going to find haters anywhere you go, especially if you are looking for them or sensitive to them! But interracial couples are not uncommon in Roanoke and in general it's a more progressive little city than it looks like at first glance.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:33 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
Sadly, racism is everywhere. The trick is to not let it get under your skin. But as far as you being an interracial couple, you will be fine in Roanoke. It's not uncommon in VA as a whole. If someone does make a comment or stare, it just means they are unsure about themselves or miserable with their own lives and need to take it out on someone. And if you do move here, welcome in advance!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM

15 posts, read 46,024 times
thanks, that means a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: