U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:40 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,109,858 times
Default Are there any cities larger than Lynchburg...

....that, like Lynchburg, are not on or close to either an interstate highway or a limited access freeway? (not 460, it's only limited access for about 5 miles in town) I can't think of any, but there must be one or two somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM

777 posts, read 1,316,817 times
I think it is the largest one without an interstate.. Thank C'ville for that.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:22 PM

2,344 posts, read 2,554,929 times
I read (a few years ago) that Lynchburg is the largest "small city" in America without an interstate. Can't verify it because I don't remember where I read it. I think that's why it has retained it's old fashioned, southern personality. But, unfortunately, it's also why a lot of major retailers also haven't opened.

Personally, that's why I like, make that "love" it.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM

With Best Buy, Target, Kohl's, B&N, Ann Taylor, Old Navy, Home Depot, Lowe's, several WalMarts, Sams, Macy's and others I just don't see that many that are not there that would do well. No, there is no Brooks Brothers, Abercrombie, and other higher end retailers but I doubt they would do that well either as the high-income market is smallish and dominated by doctors and engineers who generally don't like wasting much money on expensive clothes. It's a good excuse for a trip to Short Pump every so often which is not a bad thing. The economic study for retail showed very little leakage of retail sales to other markets. In most categories L imported shoppers from a pretty wide market area.
I do think the Boonsboro Center could be significantly improved by getting rid of Food Lion and a nice redesign. A few more higher end shops/chains could go there.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
With Best Buy, Target, Kohl's, B&N, Ann Taylor, Old Navy, Home Depot, Lowe's, several WalMarts, Sams, Macy's and others I just don't see that many that are not there that would do well. No, there is no Brooks Brothers, Abercrombie, and other higher end retailers but I doubt they would do that well either as the high-income market is smallish and dominated by doctors and engineers who generally don't like wasting much money on expensive clothes. It's a good excuse for a trip to Short Pump every so often which is not a bad thing. The economic study for retail showed very little leakage of retail sales to other markets. In most categories L imported shoppers from a pretty wide market area.
I do think the Boonsboro Center could be significantly improved by getting rid of Food Lion and a nice redesign. A few more higher end shops/chains could go there.
True but all fairly recent arrivals. I guess retailers have finally discovered Lynchburg.

Boonsboro definitely needs a "facelift". Starbucks, Talbots, Chicos, R Coffee Ltd, Silver Thistle, Isabella's Restaurant (I still keep calling it Meriwethers!) are all such nice "upscale" stores/restaurant. I was hoping Food Lion would remodel their store into a Bloom. And, of course, I suppose it's needed but the laundromat really needs improvement.

I don't mind Talbots and, to a lesser degree Chicos, but I'd hate to see a bunch of chain stores go in there -- keep them out on Wards Road! Independents make life so much more interesting. (Can you really compare Phila-deli to any chain, lol! )

Old 08-01-2010, 04:15 PM

I should have said Ann Taylor--not Talbots. Not a frequent shopper for either myself My wife likes Ann Taylor--Chicos not so much. More for a certain taste. R Coffee is very nice for classic men's wear. The laundromat seems very out of place. Put it down near the new Walmart. YUK. Miss the old drug store. It was a classic place and very nice people. They were the only place in the US my wife could find a certain type of small brush used for cleaning baby bottle nipples. They used it in her medical office to clean some smaller instruments. She bought all they had but that supply is dwindling.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM

I, too, was very sad to see Tom Jones leave. They had so much fun stuff and those new chains just don't have the same feel.

The laundromat always seems to have customers, so the apartments up Boonsboro Road must not have laundry facilities. I pretty much stay away from that end of the center. I was sad when Harris-Teeter left and replaced by Kroger. I like H-T. Oh, well, I guess they're all just grocery stores!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 PM

H-T seems to have a little more upscale and specialty store feel. But Kroger did a nice job expanding and has pretty good stuff at better prices. As long as I can get Boar's Head, decent meat, and fresh baked goods and vegies I'm good.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM

657 posts, read 845,659 times
Albany, GA, Brownsville, TX, Fresno, CA to name a few.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:08 PM

11 posts, read 7,637 times
San Angelo, Tx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area