Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times

Advertisements

So...we're going to do a long weekend in Lynchburg as a place to get away, relax (I hope) and NOT have a to-do list of people we have to see, things to attend, etc. - anybody have any ideas on good local places to eat, things to see, antique/collectible shops, etc.? Love "local" places: i.e., diners, fun bars, interesting sights, etc. (Picked Lynchburg for no particular reason other than found a great low-cost hotel and thought we'd try to keep our dollars in VA for a change). We're staying "downtown" but I don't know if that's good or bad - walkable places would be great, basically just looking to see what's around (hubby would LOVE a hobby shop, scale models) - TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 04:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,378 times
You certainly should see liberty university!! The monogram is quite impressive and there is snowflex if u like to snow ski. I'm sure u will love Lynchburg and hope u enjoy ur stay

Old 08-22-2010, 07:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
For shopping: Farm Basket on Langhorne Road (garden stuff, gifts, china, etc, great for lunch!) and Silver Thistle in Boonsboro Shopping Center (straight out Rivermont, it turns into Boonsboro Road). Silver Thistle is not very big but has beautiful antiques/home decorating things.

Also, remember many, many of the small, independently owned stores are closed on Sunday.

Also, out Boonsboro Road are two nice restaurants. Isabella's (right next to Silver Thistle in Boonsboro Shopping Center) and Milano's (in the Kroger Shopping Center). Isabella's is much better and more expensive but Milano's is a neighborhood favorite.

Have fun!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the tips. I should have clarified: we're going next weekend so no skiing

Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
They ski on it everyday--artificial snow slope. For a nice brunch take the drive out to Millstone Tea Room on the road from Big Island to Bedford. Best food in the area. Nice drive too.

http://www.millstonetearoom.com/Restaurant.html (broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 07:41 AM

134 posts, read 332,011 times
Are you staying at the Craddock Terry? I split time between Lynchburg and OT Alexandria (Amtrak from King Street to Lynchburg). I fell in love with an old Victorian in one of the downtown historic districts when I was doing just what you're doing...

Anyway, as was mentioned, most of downtown is closed on Sunday, but on Saturday morning you can walk up to the market, and back behind it on the corner of 12th and Church is the Lynchburg Visitors Center. Across from the market is a little coffee and book shop (White Hart), and there are several antique shops you can walk to along Main St. and Commerce streets, too. For food, if you want to stay downtown, Bull Branch is eclectic and has specials based on what they've picked up at the market in the morning, Dish is tapas style and a good bargain (five of us ate there the other night for less than $100, incl. wine and tip), and Market at Main is like an old drugstore counter--only open for breakfast and lunch--and the corn and sweet potato pancakes are good. Starlight offers Coffee, fresh sandwiches and breakfast, and they are open on Sunday (White Hart is not). It's over on 5th street. Below the Craddock Terry is a little restaurant called Waterstone that serves the local brewery beer and specialty pizzas.

If you're interested in music, both the local coffee shops and Rivermont Pizza (near Randolph College) often have performances, but it's hit or miss, both in terms of when and what you'll hear.

If you want to head out of town, there is always the Blue Ridge (Peaks of Otter is close by), and there are some young wineries around the area.

There is a train model place I've seen while driving around (maybe on Fort Hill/Fort Avenue??), but I couldn't tell you anything about it beyond that...

Last edited by springgrl; 08-23-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post
Are you staying at the Craddock Terry? I split time between Lynchburg and OT Alexandria (Amtrak from King Street to Lynchburg). I fell in love with an old Victorian in one of the downtown historic districts when I was doing just what you're doing...

Anyway, as was mentioned, most of downtown is closed on Sunday, but on Saturday morning you can walk up to the market, and back behind it on the corner of 12th and Church is the Lynchburg Visitors Center. Across from the market is a little coffee and book shop (White Hart), and there are several antique shops you can walk to along Main St. and Commerce streets, too. For food, if you want to stay downtown, Bull Branch is eclectic and has specials based on what they've picked up at the market in the morning, Dish is tapas style and a good bargain (five of us ate there the other night for less than $100, incl. wine and tip), and Market at Main is like an old drugstore counter--only open for breakfast and lunch--and the corn and sweet potato pancakes are good. Starlight offers Coffee, fresh sandwiches and breakfast, and they are open on Sunday (White Hart is not). It's over on 5th street. Below the Craddock Terry is a little restaurant called Waterstone that serves the local brewery beer and specialty pizzas.

If you're interested in music, both the local coffee shops and Rivermont Pizza (near Randolph College) often have performances, but it's hit or miss, both in terms of when and what you'll hear.

If you want to head out of town, there is always the Blue Ridge (Peaks of Otter is close by), and there are some young wineries around the area.

There is a train model place I've seen while driving around (maybe on Fort Hill/Fort Avenue??), but I couldn't tell you anything about it beyond that...
Good job, springgrl! You're obviously younger; I don't go downtown often enought.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
I strongly recommend Rivermont Pizza. Great pizza (better than Waterstone) in a real "college" feeling place.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:43 PM

134 posts, read 332,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
I strongly recommend Rivermont Pizza. Great pizza (better than Waterstone) in a real "college" feeling place.
Totally agree, plus Rivermont Pizza has a really good beer selection!
And there is Mangia upstairs that I've heard about, but I've not gotten there yet.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM

Thank you so much for posting all this info. - we're staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Main St. (I believe it's "downtown") and between just "relaxing" which I desperately need, LOL - I'd like to find things like decent places to eat, antique shops, etc. - I appreciate all the help from those that have made suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area