U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 7,325 times
Default Looking to retire in historic area, perhaps Roanoke

Looking to retire in Historic Town In Virginia or PA
Although retirement time for my wife and me is still years off yet, Id like to start thinking about eventually moving off Long Island and the metro NY area in part due to the high tax situation area. The kids will be on their own (maybe!!) by then so school systems would not have a major role in our location. We would not be concerned for any big "nightlife" either.

We both like the Shenandoah area in Virginia along I 81 as well as the southern area of PA as weve traveled to these spots many times and enjoy the slower pace, friendly folks & scenery. I know the cost of living varies throughout the towns but it seems less than the NY city region in regards to taxes, car insurance and other things.

Some of the things that Id like to find in an eventual local to retire in would be:

1. Historical place Im a big Civil War and History buff.
2. Small town with an Americana look, yet close enough drive to good shopping areas and family entertainment (for the grandkids when they visit).
3. Mountain views Always loved scenes of mountains or rolling hills to do oil paintings of.

These are the towns/cities Ive been looking at thus far:
Lexington VA
Roanoke VA
Staunton VA
New Market VA
Sharpsburg MD
Boonsboro MD
Greencastle PA
Mercersburg PA
Lititz PA
And of course, Gettysburg PA

If anyone can give info about living in these places or suggest other great spots in these general regions to look into Id much appreciate it.

Kevin O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,715,913 times
From the list of towns/cities you mentioned, I would suggest New Market.
It is historic, tons of Civil War history, quaint Civil War era architecture. It is also close to Harrisonburg which offers more city amenties. I have always thought the people in that area were very friendly, especially the Menonites.
I especially like their bakeries! Roanoke is a young city and does not have much of a civil war mentality like some other parts of VA. It was a railroad town that grew into a mid sized city. It is a great retirement location and it offers many amenties of a big city but close to nature. There is also a growing retirement area here at Smith Mountain Lake. I know of many towns you speak of as my family came from the Sharpsburg MD (Antietam) area. Good Luck in your search!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 10,316 times
The beauty of the Roanoke Valley is that it is big enough to satisfy the grandkids with major malls and attractions, but intimate enough that the neighborhoods feel like small towns. You are right to consider retiring in Roanoke. While Roanoke may not be famous (or infamous) for a major Civil War conflict, there is a significant amount of Civil War history at our backdoor. One of the country's leading Civil War historians, Dr. James Robertson, is a professor at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, which is 45 minutes from Roanoke. I had the pleasure of taking his courses at VT, and he often makes public appearances in the area. If you have not read his books, you will love them. Here is a helpful link. [url=http://www.history.vt.edu/Robertson/]James I. Robertson, Jr.[/url] Here is another link to a local history group. [url=http://www.roanokecwrt.com/]Roanoke Civil War Round Table[/url] You'll find a nice stock of historic homes in the Roanoke Valley, with a few antebellum properties, but most of the Victorian era or later. Our historic neighborhoods are sidewalk communites, with commercial villages and farmers' markets. The people are friendly, and the views are exquisite. The city of Roanoke is in a valley surrounded by mountains with mostly undeveloped ridge tops. Our fall colors are beautiful right now. Roanoke is right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hope you can take a drive and visit before the leaves fall. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 PM

38 posts, read 60,627 times
Personally, I would choice Lexington to retire. Its remarkably beautiful, and is easy to find your place in the local community. There is enough going on in the area through out the year, arts, music, etc. The Downtown is stunning, and recreation is easy to assess. Its far away enough from VT for you to not feel over whelmed by all the VT madness. Anything else you could want is within 1 hour of a drive. Skiing, Malls, Roaonoke, etc. Not to mention Robert E. Lee and Stonewall is burred in Lexington, as far as being around Civil War history goes in VA, next to New Market, Lexington is a no brainier. Everything else is within 3-4 hour drive... DC, Richmond, the Beach. Lexington is stunning.

Roanoke is ok, but if I were to move to the Roanoke Valley, I'd live in Salem, its a more more intimate community, and much cleaner than Roanoke.

Good Luck.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:32 PM

108 posts, read 188,839 times
Come visit Roanoke...I think if you don't have to worry about finding a job, you would love it here. I agree that Lexington would be a good choice, too, and more centrally located than Roanoke. But I'm not sure about recommending Salem, I found it a little too "small town elitist" for my taste. The Roanoke valley has lots of different neighborhoods to offer.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 PM

644 posts, read 771,893 times
In Virginia, Staunton and Lexington would fit the bill, as well as New Market, Winchester, and Harrisonburg. All of these towns have a wealth of history and great mountain views. New Market would have little to offer other than history, while the others have great town centers, as well as history. Lexington is probably the jewel among these. Roanoke, while the largest on your list, is not much of a historical area. It was not even in existence at the time of the Civil War and would not come close to being considered a small town. You CAN get more Starbucks and Panera foodstuffs in Roanoke than any other place on your list though, and it is a very pretty city- and if you like railroads, Roanoke would be the place to be.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM

38 posts, read 60,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygal0000 View Post
Come visit Roanoke...I think if you don't have to worry about finding a job, you would love it here. I agree that Lexington would be a good choice, too, and more centrally located than Roanoke. But I'm not sure about recommending Salem, I found it a little too "small town elitist" for my taste. The Roanoke valley has lots of different neighborhoods to offer.
I've lived in my fair of cities and Salem has got nothing on the "small Town elitist." growing up in this area I would have to say that Salem high school kids were the most pompous of the Raonoke area.. hahaha...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:58 AM

25 posts, read 19,152 times
Agree with airman_verde04 completely. I've lived there and there a lot of retirees who have moved to Lexington and love it. It has a terrific "Newcomer's" Club so it makes it easy to get to know people quickly and fit right in. With the colleges there, there is a nice mix of people and many cultural activities.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
j1n

1,191 posts, read 2,722,261 times
I'll echo what others have said...
Roanoke certainly has history, but doesn't have that rich historical feel of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area