U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2010, 08:24 AM

102 posts, read 111,615 times
Default Historical neighborhoods with bungalows

I will be visiting Roanoke next month and I want to explore the historical residential neighborhoods near downtown. I am particularly interested in neighborhoods or streets with smaller (2-3 bedrooms) bungalow-style (e.g., one-storied with porch) houses. I have heard that the Old Southwest neighborhood is historical, but from the pictures Iíve seen, the houses look rather large (but maybe pictures are deceiving). Could someone recommend any nice, historical neighborhoods or streets of well-kept smaller houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 11:48 AM

770 posts, read 1,097,520 times
Old SW does have quite a variety of sizes once you go block by block.

Keep traveling south and west and you'll find Wasena...

Wasena Neighborhood Forum

and of course Raleigh Court...

Greater Raleigh Court Civic League

Old 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM

37 posts, read 61,077 times
Default Several Neighborhoods

There are several neighborhoods that fit your description. I'm relatively new here but here are the ones we considered when looking for the same style of house.

Old Southwest -- not true Arts & Crafts bungalows but nice older four squares and a nice neighborhood vibe.

Raleigh Court -- Great neighborhood with a fantastic village. . . the real deal. Not a pretend, new fangled village center.

South Roanoke -- a beautiful Arts & Crafts bungalow on the market right now at Avenham and Broadway. I drive by it almost every day and drool. This neighborhood is not quite as laid back as the other two but it has very well-maintained houses. Most are larger but there are beautiful bungalows.

By the way, there is a realtor in town that specializes in this kind of housing. We used her and loved her. Her company is Renaissance Real Estate.

Good luck

Old Today, 07:27 AM

3 posts
Southeast Roanoke is FULL of charming Bungalows. There is an unfair, judgemental and negative view of SE that is decades old and it's time people look at the positive aspects of it. I've owned my 1920's Bungalow since 1997, my street is quiet and I'm close to everything including Smith Mountain Lake which is 35 mins away. Our Street is the bike trail connecting to the greenway.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

3 posts
Thumbs up Southeast Roanoke is full of Craftsman Bungalows

Here's my SE Roanoke Bungalow...

Old Today, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 1,347 times
Did anyone take note of the part of OPs question 'one story'? I am pointing this out particularly because I also need one level living and having trouble finding any.

Old Today, 01:45 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,785,665 times
Default SE Roanoke

SE has traditionally gotten a bad rap in the past. I think the Morningside Heights area, around the Morningside Elementary School is a hidden gem. There was once a small village area across from the school. There are tons of older homes, some are
Now being renovated. A huge park exists with tennis courts, library and easy access to downtown. If a developer would focus on SE like they have done on Old SW, my view is a new City neighborhood could emerge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area