Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,646,840 times

Advertisements

Heard a piece on the news when I was back in Va last week. Rest of the story with some tough comments.

Arts & Extras: Regional arts community information and its quirky culture – roanoke.com » Today’s breaking arts news: Jenny Taubman resigns from Taubman Museum board
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,877,924 times
Default Taubman Museum

When Wayne Newton was in Roanoke a few years ago visiting his home town he joked about the Art Museum and said it looked like the "wreck of the flying nun". The mayor of Roanoke(a country boy at heart) never understood art and he seemed uncomfortable mingling with the "art folk". The report that the Taubman is in trouble financially is hard for me to understand since it is a private museum, paid for with no outstanding debts. The Roanoke Times has never liked the museum and from what I understand the museum is trying to
align itself with either the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts or Va Tech Foundation to gain more long term exposure and possibly state funding(Good Luck on that score!). I would also like to add the operation of the Taubman is not
dependent on how many people visit the museum(like so many free or public museums). Actually the first year operation of the Taubman was not bad with many social group functions. I also understand the Roanoke Childrens Theatre is locating there and there is an Art by Night on Thursday evenings. In a severe recession I am amazed people are travelling but I have noticed slowly more tour groups coming here and discovering the Taubman and downtown Roanoke. I don't think we have to worry the Taubman will close, much to the
dismay of many Roanokers who refuse to even drive around it!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 AM

141 posts, read 382,262 times
It's sad to me how people swallow political propaganda that limits their idea of who they are and what they think they can appreciate or understand.

Who says you can't be a "good old boy" (or girl) from the South who likes country music and NASCAR, and also appreciate a modern art exhibit? It's sad to me that, based on the comments on that article, people think that in order to appeal to the average Roanoke resident, the museum needs to put on a Thomas Kinkade exhibit, or the equivalent, probably a lot due to the things folks like Rush Limbaugh say about "limousine liberals" and "intellectual elitists." It's sad to me that people still seem to take pride in ignorance. I don't think it's because people truly lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate these things, it's because people are afraid of being challenged, or opening their minds to something different. You're not going to suddenly sprout an ironic goatee and switch from Bud to PBR just because you looked at an art exhibit.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM

894 posts, read 2,309,076 times
I love art and wild designs, but you have to admit that it is one god aweful ugly building! It just looks completely out of place with Roanoke's skyline. If the city was bigger and had more filled in space with buildings in the background, it wouldn't look so bad, but right now it sticks out like a sore thumb. I do understand why the building is what it is and that is perfectly fine, it just looks weird where it is to me. It's like Roanoke was trying to pull off a Disney music hall or Guggenheim museum. Those work but are obviously in much huger cities.

I do hope that it can hang in there and prosper though.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:24 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,038,579 times
Maybe it's just me - but I rather like the (admittedly jarring) juxtaposition of the ultra-edgy museum next to a very traditional setting. It certainly doesn't look master-planned or anything like that - but that's all right by me.

But I agree it is jarring - and can certainly see how not everyone will think it's cool.

It will be a few years yet before we can relocate to Roanoke, but if I were there now, I would jump at the chance to get the $100 "FRIEND" annual membership, which includes free admission at 70+ museums in the southeast.

Taubman Museum of Art | Become a Member (http://www.taubmanmuseum.org/TM_membership.html - broken link)

Old 10-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Not every odd looking building is a great building. We have one in Seattle and it's still among the most ugly every built.

Google Image Result for http://www.arcspace.com/books/Steel_Beyond/images/2.jpg

Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,587,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadStephanie View Post
It's sad to me how people swallow political propaganda that limits their idea of who they are and what they think they can appreciate or understand.

Who says you can't be a "good old boy" (or girl) from the South who likes country music and NASCAR, and also appreciate a modern art exhibit?
Oh. Its modern "art"? I was planning on visiting after I moved. I checked the website after reading this, yeah, I'll be skipping that. Is there a real art museum within 100 miles of Roanoke?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,877,924 times
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond has an excellent collection of
more traditional art such as European, American, etc. I especially like their collection of the Faberge Easter eggs which has always been one of their top attractions. About 150 miles.

I like French impressionist art and one of my favorite museums is the National Gallery of Art at the Smithsonian, some of the best art collections in the world.

Some of the local arts groups sponsor one day trips to DC, also Amtrak has new service to DC from Lynchburg which allows for an easy one day visit to DC.

The Taubman is still the most "avant-garde" art museum in the region!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,587,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond has an excellent collection of
more traditional art such as European, American, etc. I especially like their collection of the Faberge Easter eggs which has always been one of their top attractions. About 150 miles.
Bit of a hike, but yes, thats more in line of what I consider actual art. I had been thinking of a day trip into Richmond one day in the future anyway, may as well go then.

Quote:
Some of the local arts groups sponsor one day trips to DC, also Amtrak has new service to DC from Lynchburg which allows for an easy one day visit to DC.
Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
The Taubman is still the most "avant-garde" art museum in the region!
The longer the description the less talent it required to make. An example of "modern art":

In this stunning image, artist Kreutz has captured the inane musings of modern life, portraying in one fell swoop the struggles of the downtrodden working class and banality of Western culture. The cup, in the medium of styrofoam signifies stifling whiteness and conformity, while also portraying the crass consumerism of our day as the metaphor of an empty vessel so mirrors the emptiness of modern life. Or does it signify wanton sexual lust, which may never be filled?

Fashioned by the very capitalist-industrialist machinations it critiques, this piece is a wonderful addition to any collection.

Price: $4,000

Old 10-10-2010, 11:44 AM

The Maier Museum at Randolph College has a very nice collection--but it's not huge.

Maier Museum of Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area