U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2010, 06:25 PM

108 posts, read 201,446 times

Advertisements

Oh, a move from Texas! Hmm, yes, the summers here are humid and sticky. You will need a/c, but not a swimming pool in your backyard, like in Texas. Local pools are the social spots for kids, so you will want to join a pool so your kids can make friends. Our summers start warming up in May-ish (after Mother's Day) and don't cool down until mid-to-late September.

You can probably wade around in the streams and rivers here (just about every property has some water flowing through it...not a flooding issue, just charming, meandering streams) but if you want to swim, then Smith Mtn Lake is probably your best bet. It's about an hour from SW Co.

Speaking of flooding, all properties here are required to declare if they're in a flood plain. So, just ask your realtor (actually, your realtor should tell you as a matter of course).

You asked about sun: no problem with that here! January and February are our grey-est months. Oct, Nov, and Dec are sunny but chilly, March through May are unpredictable with rain showers, but not gloomy.

Yes, there are fireflies! I agree with you, it's the epitome of southern childhoods. We also have mosquitoes, so think about that when house shopping, in case you want a screened-in porch.

When we first moved here in 1998, there were amazing thunderstorms! Now (and I'm not sure why) if you want to be "closer to the elements" then I recommend Bedford or Montvale or even Blue Ridge or Botetourt Co. They are a little bit away from the protection of the mountains, and flatter, so they still get some doozies (even a few tornedo watches!).

I don't know the ages of your children, but I would recommend that they get involved in some kind of sport (if they don't play an "organized" school sport, try dancing, martial arts, gymnastics). Most social lives revolve around sports (and church) here. Probably one of the first things your child will be asked is, "What sport do you play?" so it would be good to have an answer.

If you would like to email some ex-patriot Texans living here in Roanoke, shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with them.

happygal0000
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:36 AM

17 posts, read 17,463 times
That was incredibly helpful! I know I will be missing Texas terribly. I don't know how it is in Virginia, but most Texas-born people are very proud of being a Texan, and it will be heartbreaking for me to see the state line in my rearview mirror. However, I am also encouraged by all of the emails I have read about how wonderful Virginia is, and though I will always be a Texan, I am ready to enjoy life as a Virginian.

Thanks for the info about sports and kids. We're very much into the outdoors, and LOVE doing sports. I'm thrilled to know that there are a lot of opportunities for my children to be involved in activities!

Thanks again, to everyone, for all of your info!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 PM

2,701 posts, read 1,484,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladu View Post
That was incredibly helpful! I know I will be missing Texas terribly. I don't know how it is in Virginia, but most Texas-born people are very proud of being a Texan, and it will be heartbreaking for me to see the state line in my rearview mirror. However, I am also encouraged by all of the emails I have read about how wonderful Virginia is, and though I will always be a Texan, I am ready to enjoy life as a Virginian.

Thanks for the info about sports and kids. We're very much into the outdoors, and LOVE doing sports. I'm thrilled to know that there are a lot of opportunities for my children to be involved in activities!

Thanks again, to everyone, for all of your info!

Have to ask, the army sent me to Ft Sam Houston and then Ft Hood, and me being a native full on New Yawker was extremely puzzled by the Texan pride thing, if you had been born say, a Hawaiian, or even worse, an Okie, would you still be so proud of yourselves? Seems an accident of birth more than anything, but man oh man, did I see a boatload of "Dont mess with Texas" stuff.

I did see my first (and only-never saw them outside the Lone Star state) drive through liquor stores in Texas, which struck me as so ironic it had to be on purpose.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Well, seeing as I'm not Hawaiian nor am I an Okie, I really don't know if I would have the same spirit for my home state. I suppose, though, the same could be said for a New Yorker. Some states just have a lot of character (good and bad), and while I certainly am not proud of some of the back-country ways in Texas, there are MANY things that I absolutely love about my home state. I'm sure you can relate, being from New York -- it certainly has it's fair share of negative things, but it's also incredibly famous and I'm sure it has a lot of wonderful aspects of it as well. Don't mess with Texas, and we won't mess with New York -- deal?

Now..back to Roanoke, Virginia. You obviously moved there, so what made you move, how do you like it, and how much do you miss your home state?

Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Well, seeing as I'm not Hawaiian nor am I an Okie, I really don't know if I would have the same spirit for my home state. I suppose, though, the same could be said for a New Yorker. Some states just have a lot of character (good and bad), and while I certainly am not proud of some of the back-country ways in Texas, there are MANY things that I absolutely love about my home state. I'm sure you can relate, being from New York -- it certainly has it's fair share of negative things, but it's also incredibly famous and I'm sure it has a lot of wonderful aspects of it as well. Don't mess with Texas, and we won't mess with New York -- deal?
Eh, New York doesn't need anyone to mess with it, its got its own problems. The "character" here is an exercise in mass self-delusion.

Quote:
Now..back to Roanoke, Virginia. You obviously moved there, so what made you move, how do you like it, and how much do you miss your home state?
Technically we close on the house on December 15th, so, haven't moved there yet.

What made me move? New York is projecting a 30 billion dollar deficit within three years, and they're taking it from someone. Won't be me.

The taxes are insane, the roads falling apart, the public unions are robbing everyone blind to the point of absurdity, its just a mess.

And the cost and taxes keep rising (because when your state is hemorrhaging people, you raise taxes of course) to keep the public employee overlords rich.

When I had the mover come to give me my quote, I was the sixth person leaving NY he quoted just that morning. It was 11am, and he had four more people to visit after me.

We picked Roanoke county VA for its natural beauty, excellent schools, low taxes(just 2k/year, compared to 12k-ish/year), and I will actually be able to exercise my 2nd amendment rights in Virginia.

The low cost of living was a big draw too, as I work form home, and my Manhattan pay goes alot further there than here...I pay $2200/month for a so-so 3 bedroom apartment, the mortgage payment on the gigantic house I bought is $653/month. Helath insurance costs dropped 30% for superior insurance. Auto insurance is chump change. My business doesn't have to subsidize the MTA anymore.

So in a nutshell, NY really sucks. I will not miss it.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,086,014 times
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Blue"]Good Luck with your move to Roanoke!
have many friends from NYC area who visit Roanoke who are impressed with the quality of life here. I have one friend who is a restaurant critic who is amazed at how some of the restaurants here compare with some of the finest in Manhattan. Don't tell Rachel Ray, she is too busy with her visits to Chattanooga and Charleston to even notice Roanoke. Of course the comparisons with this area to NYC area are silly I know moving here from NY will be an adjustment at first. My advice is to take it slow with the southern people, there is a decorum in the South where they must get to know you before they will open up. If you are into sports, outdoor activities, church,
socializing with other families(if you have kids)you will not have a hard time adjusting to a new culture. If you are in Rke County, it is an overwhelmingly white republican area and if you have a lawn, please keep it mowed, people out there love to mow grass, its an art form it seems! I think you will be more warmly greeted here than in North Carolina, in my view!

Old 12-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Ouch, Kreutz! Well, it seems that your move to Roanoke from NY will be only an improvement. I'm hoping for the same with me, though I'm leaving Texas so that I can be closer to some of my family.
Hey, and congrats on the house! I've been looking at houses, and am itching to buy right now because there are so many for such good prices, but we won't be moving until the summer. Must bide my time and do as much research as possible.

Hey, thanks to everyone for all of the great information -- especially since I'm sure it's been answered a dozen times somewhere in these threads!!!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Ouch, Kreutz! Well, it seems that your move to Roanoke from NY will be only an improvement. I'm hoping for the same with me, though I'm leaving Texas so that I can be closer to some of my family.
Hey, and congrats on the house! I've been looking at houses, and am itching to buy right now because there are so many for such good prices, but we won't be moving until the summer. Must bide my time and do as much research as possible.

Hey, thanks to everyone for all of the great information -- especially since I'm sure it's been answered a dozen times somewhere in these threads!!!

Good luck, I got a great deal by buying off season. Be careful of the hills, the realtors like to hide them in pictures(track the angle of the fence to see if theres a hill), some places have totally useless yards.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:21 PM

You're not the first person to make that statement in these threads. I will very careful about that. Luckily, my mother lives nearby and knows what I like/dislike, so she will be doing a lot of checking for me.

Hey, good luck to you as well! Hope the both of us find Roanoke to be exactly what we need!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area