Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

Advertisements

Back on topic folks, please.
Yac.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
I went to college in upstate NY. Most people outside of the state don't know this, but NY is mostly rural poor. Its a huge state and the Manhattan metro area makes up a very small percentage of it land mass wise, and even population wise really.

The "rednecks" of the south would feel VERY at home an hour drive south of the Canadian border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC
but I guess if you never leave your cozy SW County subdivision and Electric road, you might think you were in Jersey.
I shall try this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:20 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I went to college in upstate NY. Most people outside of the state don't know this, but NY is mostly rural poor. Its a huge state and the Manhattan metro area makes up a very small percentage of it land mass wise, and even population wise really.

The "rednecks" of the south would feel VERY at home an hour drive south of the Canadian border.
I lived in upstate NY for 5 years before returning to civilization here in the 540. I miss the snow up north but that's about it, talk about closed-minded people living in the past. The south has nothing on the little villages in rural NY state. Roanoke may not be perfect but it's perfect for me!

Old 02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,660,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Lived in Roanoke 12 years, from WV, and I would like to know where you lived that you never heard a southern/hillbilly accent? Wasn't the same Roanoke Valley I lived in. I knew a number of folks from large NE cities that moved to Roanoke and love it, but I also knew a large number of folks that if some cocky big feelin Yankee starting forcing their ways on the locals, they wouldn't last long.............There are probably more confed. flags/sons of confed vets license plates in the craig, botetourt, roanoke COUNTY, bedford area than anywhere else in the state of VA, but I guess if you never leave your cozy SW County subdivision and Electric road, you might think you were in Jersey.
You should have read my post a little more carefully. What I said was:
"I hardly know anyone with a southern accent"

I never said I've NEVER heard one.

Quote:
but I guess if you never leave your cozy SW County subdivision and Electric road, you might think you were in Jersey
very nice. I actually live in the city...about 2 minutes from downtown, in an old house on a pretty decent street.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:13 PM

240 posts, read 559,241 times
In response to some of the previous posts, yes... Virginia is still very much Southern (while Northern VA considers themselves ''North.'') Therefore, you will have some of those attitudes (some of which I actually like.)

Anyway, that was totally unrelated. The reason I was making a post is b/c Roanoke is one of the places in Virginia I am considering a move to. I really like its setting. I was wondering if anybody here on the board could tell me a little something about the city. In other words, tell me why should or shouldn't I move here?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM
j1n

I don't think anyone here can tell you why you should or shouldn't choose Roanoke. A lot of that would depend on why you are looking at the area, what line of work you are in, your interests, etc.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I don't think anyone here can tell you why you should or shouldn't choose Roanoke. A lot of that would depend on why you are looking at the area, what line of work you are in, your interests, etc.
I'm sorry that I did not make myself sound clear there. What I meant by that was if anybody could tell me a little something about the city (i.e. lifestyle, nightlife, jobs, schools, cost of living, crime, whether someone likes it or not and why, etc.)

Old 04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
...tell me a little something about the city (i.e. lifestyle, nightlife, jobs, schools, cost of living, crime, whether someone likes it or not and why, etc.)
Lifestyle is NOT NYC, but it's not Mayberry either.
Nightlife... same as above
Jobs are there to be had.
A few good colleges around. Public schools are, well...public schools.
Cost of living is well below the national average.
Crime is high if you read the statistics, but feels low if you actually live here.
I like it for now. Less expensive than many other east coast regions,
mountains, good climate, cozy and semi-hip downtown, lots of woods to run around in, etc...
A dig through the Roanoke forum will yield tons of answers to your questions,
as many others have asked similar ones and gotten good and varied responses & opinions.
Bottom line though, Roanoke's a good place to live.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:18 PM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I'm sorry that I did not make myself sound clear there. What I meant by that was if anybody could tell me a little something about the city (i.e. lifestyle, nightlife, jobs, schools, cost of living, crime, whether someone likes it or not and why, etc.)
Oh there are tons of those discussions in the archives. I moved here 3 years ago and had the same questions and love it here now. My posting history will lead you to lots of good threads.

My kids are in the public schools, which as j1n says are ... well ... public schools. There's good and bad. For us it was important to have the kids grow up in the real world with some of the freedoms and varied experiences that come with city life, so we are in Roanoke city on a street that's quiet and leafy and suburban-feeling but within walking distance of school/church/shops/movies/etc. and biking distance of downtown, and we're very very happy. Others like the security and quiet of the suburbs, with schools that have better test scores and fewer socioeconomic issues to contend with.

Roanoke has both, plus Thai food, live music, and the Appalachian Trail, all in one sweet little city tucked away in the mountains. You're welcome to move here, just don't tell everyone you know about it. It's nice being off most people's radar!

Happy reading!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Oh there are tons of those discussions in the archives. I moved here 3 years ago and had the same questions and love it here now. My posting history will lead you to lots of good threads.

My kids are in the public schools, which as j1n says are ... well ... public schools. There's good and bad. For us it was important to have the kids grow up in the real world with some of the freedoms and varied experiences that come with city life, so we are in Roanoke city on a street that's quiet and leafy and suburban-feeling but within walking distance of school/church/shops/movies/etc. and biking distance of downtown, and we're very very happy. Others like the security and quiet of the suburbs, with schools that have better test scores and fewer socioeconomic issues to contend with.

Roanoke has both, plus Thai food, live music, and the Appalachian Trail, all in one sweet little city tucked away in the mountains. You're welcome to move here, just don't tell everyone you know about it. It's nice being off most people's radar!

Happy reading!

I know what you mean by that. I am single (with no children.) However, it's still good to know for future reference. I don't really boast about moving somewhere. I don't understand the ''bragging rights'' of some people. Currently, I live in NC and hate this place with a flaming passion (and my name expresses my opinion about NC.) The mountain setting is what I liked. Overall, when I was last there, I couldn't complain. As long as it's not any of those revolting, North Carolina, towns (all of them) I am fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area