Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM

18 posts, read 49,188 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are relocating after our wedding this November (2011) We currently live in the Philadelphia area and are tired of the ridiculously high cost of living and the "Philly attitude" (if you're from or have been to philly, you know what i'm talking about...) We're looking to relocate somewhere a bit cheaper (which is most of the country), a lot more friendly (hence the south) and better weather/less traffic is a plus...

While researching I really loved this area, but need some info to sway my fiance who is unsure

I've found forum posts this area, but for the most part they're kind of old (ie 2006-2009) and situations change, like revitalization, or job potential...
Most reflect job potential negatively, but that was 2-3 years ago, and i'm wondering if it has improved...

Also what is downtown life like for late 20 year olds?

I found these questions in the VA forum, someone requested that they be answered so we can get a better response to where to live. Hope they help!

-Where you are working
I am a teacher (6-12 english) currently licensed in PA and NC. Will be getting a VA license. He works in staffing and recruiting, he has worked with staffing in manufacturing and medical settings.

-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
Looking to rent for the first 6 months-1 yr to get the best feel for where we want to buy. Looking to rent for 800-1000/mnth. Housing would be in the 200-250k range

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate?
Currently have a 30-40 min commute depending on traffic, would like less, but can tolerate the same.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids yet, but when we do, would prefer public school

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We want small city fun...Like to go out, but don't need club craziness or a bunch of college kids (we're both late 20's)...Like non-chain restaurants, botique shopping. We want an environment that we can walk around in to do things like banking, grocery shopping, bars and restaurants.

-Community amenities important to you?
Need outdoor life. I'm a runner..the greenways in Roanoke appeal to me.

-Pie or cake?
Why do i have to choose?? i guess if i had to pick one it would be cake..but i'd miss pie

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
I moved here from the NYC environs of NJ 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgillard View Post
Also what is downtown life like for late 20 year olds?
Good restaurants, bars, coffee, parks, etc. Live music around...although likely not as much 'original' or diverse music as you might be used to finding in Philly or NYC. Seems like there's a festival almost every weekend during the warm weather...Microfestivus (beer), Local Colors, etc, etc.

Quote:
I found these questions in the VA forum, someone requested that they be answered so we can get a better response to where to live. Hope they help!

-Where you are working
I am a teacher (6-12 english) currently licensed in PA and NC. Will be getting a VA license. He works in staffing and recruiting, he has worked with staffing in manufacturing and medical settings.
You'll be fine. Good school systems (city and county). Medical settings a-plenty.

Quote:
-How much you are willing to spend on housing?
Looking to rent for the first 6 months-1 yr to get the best feel for where we want to buy. Looking to rent for 800-1000/mnth. Housing would be in the 200-250k range
You'll be fine. 100k can get you a liveable 5 bedroom, 2 bath fixer-upper here.
100k - 200k will get you a nice non-fixer-upper in a variety of settings and neighborhoods.

Quote:
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate?
Currently have a 30-40 min commute depending on traffic, would like less, but can tolerate the same.
You'd have one of the longest commutes that I have heard of around here if you ended up driving 30-40 minutes to work!

Quote:
-If you have kids: Private school or public school?
No kids yet, but when we do, would prefer public school
Public schools are ok. We have 2 kids in city schools. It's really more about "great teachers" than it is about "great schools", IMO.

Quote:
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight?
We want small city fun...Like to go out, but don't need club craziness or a bunch of college kids (we're both late 20's)...Like non-chain restaurants, botique shopping. We want an environment that we can walk around in to do things like banking, grocery shopping, bars and restaurants.
Downtown Roanoke City has a farmers market, loft space, single-family homes withing walking distance, plus all that you've mentioned minus a grocery store. But there's one opening this summer downtown.

Quote:
-Community amenities important to you?
Need outdoor life. I'm a runner..the greenways in Roanoke appeal to me.
tons of places to run... greenways all over, uncrowded streets, marathons, tons of trail running too.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,562,896 times
What the poster above states is pretty accurate. Roanoke is like a different universe from Philly, however. Rednecks, Confederate hold-overs, conservative, suspicious of Yankees, close-nit - but that said, there are fair number of NEasterner's who live there who are quite happy. Be tolerant of those who may have a drastically different view of life as you. - don't try to force Philly values on those in Roanoke and you will be fine.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
What the poster above states is pretty accurate. Roanoke is like a different universe from Philly, however. Rednecks, Confederate hold-overs, conservative, suspicious of Yankees, close-nit - but that said, there are fair number of NEasterner's who live there who are quite happy. Be tolerant of those who may have a drastically different view of life as you. - don't try to force Philly values on those in Roanoke and you will be fine.
Rednecks, Confederate hold-overs(in Roanoke?), conservative?, suspicious of Yankees? Plz..........................................How often do you visit Roanoke? Just curious! I think you may referring to the rural areas outside the valley.I guess using the word "Roanoke" encompasses the entire region which is quite diverse and one will find all types but specifically Not Roanoke!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I've met one "native" since I moved here lol. Everyone has been from somewhere else.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
How is the job market and local economy in and around Roanoke? Who are the major employers and businesses in the area? I'm an accountant and I'm trying to get an idea of what my employment prospects would be if my wife and I decided to move to this area. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
How is the job market and local economy in and around Roanoke? Who are the major employers and businesses in the area? I'm an accountant and I'm trying to get an idea of what my employment prospects would be if my wife and I decided to move to this area. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
Roanoke county top employers as of January 2011:

Roanoke County Economic Development - Top 25 Employers in Roanoke County

Roanoke city ( dated 4Q 2007)

Major Employers (http://www.roanokeva.gov/WebMgmt/ywbase61b.nsf/CurrentBaseLink/N25zdj3f289lbasen - broken link)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
Thanks Kreutz!

Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Confederate Roanoke Holdovers?

BTW, Roanoke hardly existed during the Civil War. The town of Roanoke grew after the Civil War when the railroad started. To my knowledge, there is only one tiny statue of a confederate in Salem. Although VA saw most of the Civil War, there wasn't much going on at that time in Roanoke or "Big Lick". As a matter of fact most western Virginians(mostly farmers and not slave owners) were against VA joining the Confederacy. Since Roanoke started as a railroad town(blue collar)it did produce a lot of wealthy "old money" people who have controlled Roanoke since its inception.Just a bit of history facts when referring to Roanoke and the Confederacy.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Rednecks, Confederate hold-overs(in Roanoke?), conservative?, suspicious of Yankees? Plz..........................................How often do you visit Roanoke? Just curious! I think you may referring to the rural areas outside the valley.I guess using the word "Roanoke" encompasses the entire region which is quite diverse and one will find all types but specifically Not Roanoke!
I have to agree. I hardly know anyone with a southern accent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area