U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:25 PM

20 posts, read 47,484 times

Advertisements

I lived in Roanoke from the time I was born until I was around 12 years old. I am now 29 and would love to live somewhere similar. I'm not entirely sure I want to move back to the same area, so does anyone know of any cities with a similar 'feel' to Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
j1n

1,203 posts, read 2,903,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelallison View Post
I lived in Roanoke from the time I was born until I was around 12 years old. I am now 29 and would love to live somewhere similar. I'm not entirely sure I want to move back to the same area, so does anyone know of any cities with a similar 'feel' to Roanoke?
when you say "feel", what are you referring to? Weather? Scenery? Other?
I might be able to make some suggestions if I knew a little bit more about what it is that you are looking for, where you are now, what sort of work you do, etc...

Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Hi, ok, let me see. I love the mountain scenery, but could probably live without it. I'm pretty flexible on weather, except I don't love tons of snow/ice. Basically, I am just looking for a similarly-sized city where you can run into people you know everywhere, reasonable low crime rate, fairly affordable cost-of-living and just a generally easy/friendly lifestyle (at least this is how I remember Roanoke and how it has appeared on my visits since moving, though it may have changed since I lived there).

As for now, I currently live in Louisville, KY; previously in Chicago and Raleigh, among others. I work from home doing legislative analysis (which is every bit as exciting as it sounds : ).

Old 03-09-2011, 04:08 PM
j1n

1,203 posts, read 2,903,060 times
the ice and snow clause aside, have you looked at Burlington, VT? That's a great town.
Other than that, it's actually a tough question... it might be tough to find all that we enjoy here in too many other places.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Hi, thanks, I may check out Vermont. My great-aunt, who still lives in Roanoke, is trying to convince me that rather than trying to find a similar city, I should just move back to Ro, as it does seem to have much of what I am looking for. My main concern is that I will be in a definite minority being a late 20s/early 30s (depending on when the move occurs) single with no children. She doesn't think this is an issue, and, while I don't need a booming scene by any sense, I also don't want to find myself in a "what's wrong with you?" environment. Perhaps I should visit the valley again with the eyes of a potential new(again) resident, instead of a visitor.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM

2,683 posts, read 1,468,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelallison View Post
Hi, thanks, I may check out Vermont.
You will be taxed to death and buried under snow 6 months out of the year.

Don't bother.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM

660 posts, read 899,358 times
Asheville, NC or Greenville, SC?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:45 AM

103 posts, read 184,242 times
Just curious, why don't you want to move back?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:05 PM

It isn't that I don't want to move back, I just thought it might be fun to try out someplace new. Returning to VA is something I am certainly considering--especially since I would probably rent initially and could always leave if I were not happy for whatever reason.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM

784 posts, read 1,370,638 times
Eugene, OR
Missoula, MT
Bozeman MT
San Luis Obispo CA
Boulder, CO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area