U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,201 posts, read 2,829,075 times
Default What's a "Roanoke"?!

Roanoke is a very easy place to get around, and the roads (unlike many other places) actually do go somewhere and are fairly logical.
The thing that takes some getting used to (and is probably mind-bogglingly confusing to someone who doesn't live here) are all the names of the various neighborhoods, etc. For instance... Southwest, Old Southwest, Grandin Village, Raleigh Court, Cave Spring, etc, etc. THEY ARE ALL "ROANOKE"!!
So in an attempt to simplify things to the potential transplant, newcomer, and the casual observer, I've created something that will hopefully take some of the mystery out of the 'Noke.
Note: This is not exact, and is almost certainly "off" in some parts, but I feel it pretty well covers the area.

The area contained within the yellow boundary is what most people think of when they think of "Roanoke". This includes most of Roanoke City and much of Roanoke County.

The area contained within the orange boundary is what most folks refer to as Roanoke City.

The area contained within the (generous) red boundary is what is generally considered "Downtown".

The light blue lettering and giant plus sign dividing the map shows the basic areas known as Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, and Southeast.

Maybe the good mod will even consider making this a sticky!

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 12,524 times
You forgot to mention my home in Roanoke... errr... rather where I grew up... Hollins!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierzbra View Post
You forgot to mention my home in Roanoke... errr... rather where I grew up... Hollins!!!!
sorry! of course... and Hollins, Melrose, Rugby, Norwich, Wasena, and the list goes on...

Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM

2,032 posts, read 3,924,236 times
From my experience Roanoke suffers from an identity problem. Because of the way Virginia isolates its cities from counties by their "independent" status most
outsiders don't see Roanoke County as part of the urban center of Roanoke.
To some who are considering moving here they look at statistics on crime,
income, education levels, etc and they only see data for Roanoke City, then they don't give the area a second glance. I often wonder how many CEOs look at this data and how many missed opportunities we have had over the years
at companies considering relocating here. I think the local residents will come to their senses one day and combine the localities after Roanoke County has
become more racially and economically diverse like Roanoke City, maybe in 10 years.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM

261 posts, read 837,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I often wonder how many CEOs look at this data and how many missed opportunities we have had over the years
at companies considering relocating here.
I do absolutely agree with this and the rest of your post, but the knife does cut both ways. How many CEOs may were drawn to Roanoke County seeing the relatively rosy stats before realizing that the numbers didn't include Roanoke city's higher crime and other possibly less-desireable data?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM

889 posts, read 525,417 times
I have searched for a map that clearly states the boundaries of Salem, Roanoke City/County but found none. Thanks for the post. If you can, please show Salem boundaries. It would be very helpful

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM

What most folks consider "Salem" begins (east end) around Peters Creek Rd and ends (west end) once you see an obvious Glenvar school (a mile or two west of Wildwood Rd). The south end would be somewhere south of Riverland... up Poor Mountain. The north end is a tough one. Not really sure where it ends as I have friends who live way up Catawba Valley Rd, and their address is still Salem. The northern boundary is probably somewhere around where the Appalachian Trail crosses 311.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM

775 posts, read 799,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
From my experience Roanoke suffers from an identity problem. Because of the way Virginia isolates its cities from counties by their "independent" status most
outsiders don't see Roanoke County as part of the urban center of Roanoke.
To some who are considering moving here they look at statistics on crime,
income, education levels, etc and they only see data for Roanoke City, then they don't give the area a second glance. I often wonder how many CEOs look at this data and how many missed opportunities we have had over the years
at companies considering relocating here. I think the local residents will come to their senses one day and combine the localities after Roanoke County has
become more racially and economically diverse like Roanoke City, maybe in 10 years.
I know the thread is old but this is a very interesting thought despite how unrealistic it is. Roanoke City could revert to town status and become part of Roanoke County and then the County could incorporate and become a city, albeit a very large city in terms of land mass. For example, on a map Virginia Beach looks like a county because it's so spread out and is the size of a typical county although it technically is a city. This new City of Roanoke would have one government, one court system, one school system, and would have almost 200,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area