U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-07-2011, 06:37 PM

1,407 posts, read 912,068 times
Default independent butcher near Roanoke?

I checked the archives and there was a thread from two years ago suggesting the butcher counter at a supermarket...I'm looking for an old school butcher (think no more than eight and a half fingers) in a standalone store. Does one exist around here?

Have fond memories of the Italian or German or Polish butchers (you don't tell them what you're there to buy-they tell you..and they're always right!) back home and would like to try and find some here if I could, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-07-2011, 08:22 PM

261 posts, read 781,657 times
Depending on what you consider to be "near Roanoke," I've heard lots of great things about J&P Meat Processing in Wirtz, which is probably 45 minutes from the city. Lots of folks in the SML area get their good meats from J&P.

Unread 06-08-2011, 09:24 AM

140 posts, read 122,286 times
There is a place in Salem on Main street next to Wachovia. The name escapes me at the moment, but it is a straight up butcher. Slabs of cow behind the counter and butcher decked out in a blood stained apron. Sound like what you are looking for?

I will try and remember the name for ya.

Unread 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 25,470 times
The name of the shop is O'Brien Meats‎26 West Main Street

Unread 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

1,407 posts, read 912,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
There is a place in Salem on Main street next to Wachovia. The name escapes me at the moment, but it is a straight up butcher. Slabs of cow behind the counter and butcher decked out in a blood stained apron. Sound like what you are looking for?

I will try and remember the name for ya.

I'll count his fingers when I get there, but that's about right, thanks!

Unread 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM
j1n

1,190 posts, read 2,620,810 times
also, there is Kingery Meats on 220S (next door to the Commando store). From the Roanoke Times:

At the new meat shop, called Kingery Brothers Meats, you’ll find homemade sausage, tenderloin, ribs, hamburger and other meats straight from the Kingery’s farm, where the family raises and butchers pigs.

This meat shop at 5437 Franklin Road is open Wednesday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Unread 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 6,799 times
when was that Roanoke Times article?

The Kingerys do a good bbq once a year ( or twice a year ) but last time I was in the shop - selection was limited - hours were limited - food was all frozen - and I got the bacon but it wasn't very good. . . sorry to say because I LOVE places like that. . .

I highly recommend O'Briens in SALEM.

also - there is a good butcher shop supposedly in Lynchburg - I will find out the name and post it here.

I love getting meat from the farmers market. It too is frozen, but if you ask ahead, the farmers will definitely work with you on specific cuts you request!

and they never sold out to Smithfield and Tyson and the like. . . they are local guys doing their own thing. LOVE IT. Check out Sandy River pork and beef, Walter & Yvonne at the downtown market on Saturdays and at Grandin Market too, now.

J & P Meat: http://www.smithmountainlake.com/bus...ekly/wb/224338

Lynchburg: not sure if this is the Lynchburg shop I was thinking of or not - and this article (http://www2.newsadvance.com/business/2009/jun/08/focus_on_natural_products_sets_new_lynchburg_butch-ar-219752/ - broken link) is a couple years old, but worth checking in to, from the News Advance.

I really like Eco Friendly Foods in MONETA, too:

Ecofriendly Foods LLC

www.ecofriendly.com - 3397 Stony Fork Road, Moneta - (540) 297-9582

J & P Meat Processing

10 Jamont Lane, Wirtz - (540) 721-2765

http://www.roanokevalleylocavore.com/med.htm (broken link) - good list - current as of June 2011.

Last edited by jcharlottelove; 06-14-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: adding details in. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area