Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times

Advertisements

Roanoke has come up as a possible place for my wife and I to relocate to due to her job. We've never been, but are planning a trip soon. (We were actually supposed to go next weekend but had to cancel ) From what I have seen online, Roanoke looks like a beautiful city and, as a native Oregonian who has been stuck in Florida and South Carolina for the last 10 years, the abundance of nature and the proximity to the Blue Ridge really appeals to me.

I do have one concern, however. I have seen multiple instances in threads where people will talk about outsiders and new residents having a hard time fitting in with the native population. I'm wondering exactly why this is.

I imagine that it is worse in outlying communities, and not an issue in the city itself. If we were to move there, we would be buying acreage on which to build a home or buying in a rural area. I see these community names: Cave Spring, Salem, Vinton, Hollins...how are these areas in terms of new residents moving in? And though I've asked in another thread, I never received an answer to this question: Why are new residents shunned? Is it religious differences? Anger over other people discovering their beautiful little city? Cults?

I don't want to start a flame war or anything, I'm just curious. I've had Christian friends who moved to Utah and ended up moving back because they grew weary of the way they were treated by the Mormons. They weren't treated badly, per se, but it was like a polite distancing like "you're not one of us." I'd rather not run into that kind of situation wherever we move. Not necessarily for myself, but for my daughter who will soon be school-age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,275 times
That's just crazy talk. I moved here 3 years ago w/my family and it's about the friendliest place I've ever lived! Nobody is shunned.

The communities you name are not rural areas, they're suburbs.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM

343 posts, read 1,046,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
That's just crazy talk. I moved here 3 years ago w/my family and it's about the friendliest place I've ever lived! Nobody is shunned.

The communities you name are not rural areas, they're suburbs.
Great to hear, thanks. The reason I named the different communities is because I had seen instances of "well, ___ is more closed off than ___" etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:14 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,171 times
Roanoke's nice, I live in Richmond but did a lot of work out there. Everybody was always nice and friendly. I don't know how religion always make it into stuff. Unless you volunteer that nobody knows what you are. I'm Catholic which makes me a major oddball around here, never an issue because I don't rent billboard space telling the neighborhood that. Plus I'm from MA, so I stick out to begin with. Again, Never an issue in either place.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times
Almost everyone thast I know in Roanoke is from somewhere else!
Now Salem can be sort of a tough nut to crack according to friends who live there.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 14,083 times
Default ditto on the Salem comment

I think it's a great place for transplants. It's a medical town, so Roanoke is used to doctors, residents, moving in and out for rotations. . .

Salem is a tight community - I can see how it might be perceived as a bit closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area