Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 08:48 AM

37 posts, read 79,736 times

Advertisements

So we came down for a few days-had a great time but were in the middle of a heat wave! I guess another one this week, but we're feeling it in PA too. I thought I'd summarize our experience for anyone visiting.
We went to Splash Valley-it was great. We all had a good time-we have an 11 & 7 yr old and they loved it. I even was able to take the baby in the water and he didn't mind it as it was perfect temperature. And it was clean.

Mill mtn-if it weren't so hot it would have been a great place to hand out outdoors. The overlook of the city was beautiful and I'm sure at night is really nice. The zoo was a disappointment-it was so hot so many of the animals were just hiding and it is small. Didn't feel it was worth the $25 for our family to all go in.

Farmer's market-was great. A lot of good produce-mostly veggies. Lots of neat/different vendors. There was a great soap stand-soap from goats milk. Lots of pottery, jewelry, even dog treats! We all enjoyed the market.

Went to the transportation museum-it was neat to see some of the cars, trains. The aeronautical is being re-done so didn't get to see much there unfortunately. My son loved to see the big steam engines-again it was so hot though. There was an old car to go through-neat to see how things use to be.

The science museum is being redone so we didn't get to go to that and the planetarium-we ran out of time but it did say to come visit them at their temporary location in the Tanglewood Mall.

Great bakery in the farmer market area-right near the walkabout store-forget the name though and we ate at New Horizons-food was good.

From our tour of the areas with a realtor-seem to get more for your money in Botetourt Co. Cave Springs area is definitely more expensive but schools are good.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. Still considering the relocation. Coming back down and will get over to SML, hopefully see the science museum then and do a few other things.

Found a stable called Centura over on Bent Mtn-the do English hunter/jumper riding. There is another one near there but didn't make it there-hopefully next time.
Last time we were down a few yrs ago we went through a Safari about an hour north-that was great, but had our dog this time and can't do it with pets

But we had a great time-and Roanoker's were all very friendly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,297 times
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Roanoke. We have always been a tourist oriented city and it shows in the dedication of the locals who spend a lot of time promoting the City. There is much more to come especially with the opening of the renovated Center in the Square with a coral reef and butterfly pavilion. In a few years Roanoke will become more of a travel destination.
Mill Mountain has been a controversial issue for some time. Originally they built the Star on top in the '40s advertised as the "worlds largest man made star". I don't think it is anymore but it is unique. The zoo was designed as a childrens' petting zoo and the heydays of the '50s,'60s it was The destination. There were plans for expansion but it seems the majority of Roanokers do not want to develop Mill Mountain. I'm afraid that decision will spell the end of Mill Mountain Zoo as not enough people visit the zoo therefore the high prices to visit such an
attraction. In the early days there was an incline up the mountain and that idea too was sadly rejected. To me we have missed an opportunity to bring more people here to visit our unique City. I hope my predictions are incorrect!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM

523 posts, read 654,362 times
Glad you enjoyed your time here! We've been out to Splash Valley twice since they've opened and were impressed both times. Nothing big but a good sized attraction for the area. And sorry about the heat wave; this is why I miss winter!

Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
Glad you enjoyed your time here! We've been out to Splash Valley twice since they've opened and were impressed both times. Nothing big but a good sized attraction for the area. And sorry about the heat wave; this is why I miss winter!

My family and I went there for the first time today, its a good water park and the admission price is great.

The locker room was spotlessly clean, if you walked barefoot in the locker room of the splash park back home (Splish-Splash in NY) you'd have to get your feet amputated lol.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:11 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,297 times
The term "Atheletes' foot" is never spoken at Splash Valley. I could never go there since there are too many kids for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: