Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

Hello!!! My husband is getting a job in the Lynchburg. VA area, and we are coming from Charleston, SC, so we have no clue regarding any of this area. We are going up to visit, so hopefully we will have more insight once we go. Does anyone know anywhere I can look online to possibly see some house rentals. We are looking in possibly renting a home for a few years before buying since it is a new area for us?? I read some threads regarding the Peakland/Boonsboro Rd. area. We are looking for more of a "city" outside of Lynchburg, since it is more isolated of some sort in Lynchburg ( or that is what we have heard). Can anyone give me direction on where I should look or what neighborhoods seem to be slightly newer?? Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,657,024 times
The Forest/Bedford area and areas of far west Lynchburg have the most new nicer homes. Very good areas. But for nicer older homes in mature neighborhoods you cannot beat Peakland. You can see photos of some of them on my facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...00000805404951

Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

15 posts, read 29,011 times
I don't live in Lynchburg, just spent time there looking for a house as we were planning on relocating there (ended up with a job in Roanoke). The best thing you can do (if you can) is to give yourself a week if possible and drive around the city exploring. Lynchburg does seem isolated compared to really big cities (like Philadelphia where I'm originally from), because cities like Philly have at least half of the metropolitan are population in the suburbs. Lynchburg really doesn't have suburbs and that is why it seems to sit off by itself in sight of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The closest cities are Roanoke and Charlottesville (Lynchburg is about halfway between the two).
For day to day living, I know that I wouldn't have needed to drive to another city for anything if I'd moved to Lynchburg. There's no IKEA or Opera Company, but aside from specialized things like that Lynchburg isn't lacking much, and doesn't feel "isolated" unless you make the drive to Charlottesville and drive past the miles of trees in Amherst County to the north.
If you could give a little more information, such as where in/around town your husband's job will be, if you have kids and their ages (for schools) and maybe an idea of your housing budget, others here could give you a bit more guidance (I wish I could help more because I love Lynchburg but am very limited with my experience there).

Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,841 times
Lynchburg is a little less isolated than Roanoke, but it isn't as bad as you've heard. Example- the metro area is half the size of Charleston's, but it closer to large metro areas than Charleston is- 2 hours to Richmond, the Triad or RTP and 3 hours to DC (with the added benefit of Northeast Regional commuter svc).
As Badger mentioned, Bedford County has great housing selection as does the Peakland/Boonsboro area. If you like large historic homes, there are plenty in the historic districts or along Rivermont Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area