Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 PM

59 posts, read 179,448 times

Advertisements

Only 3 hours apart, but still so different. If u had your choice, where would u live, Roanoke or Richmond? and WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotoday View Post
Only 3 hours apart, but still so different. If u had your choice, where would u live, Roanoke or Richmond? and WHY?
Since I am looking at places to retire - I would pick Roanoke but for purely personal reasons - primarily the natural beauty of the setting in the mountains/valley - and for me it is the right size of metro area - affording a number of advantages of a small city - but very few of the negatives associated with urban life.

If I wanted a significantly larger metro area, Richmond would be more appealing. Likewise if I wanted to be closer to the coast, Richmond would gain points there. Honestly don't know enough about Richmond otherwise.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
It would depend on the persons' objectives. In the past many younger people from Roanoke moved to Richmond for better job opportunities. I don't know if that opportunity exists any longer. Richmond clearly has advantages in terms
of location to Washington DC, the coast, better air service.
Roanokes' attractiveness would appeal to retirees from more affluent areas seeking a lower cost level of living without sacrificing urban amenities and quality of life. It is also a family oriented community, huge university culture in the area and growing medical center.
Again, it would depend on one's objectives in life.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,429,406 times
You couldn't pay me to live in Richmond. Sprawl, blight, blecch. I love Roanoke but if I couldn't live here, I'd choose any number of places before I'd be dragged kicking and screaming to Richmond.

(Personal opinion only, obviously; lots of people like it. If my son ends up at VCU I'll visit all the time.)

Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 AM

55 posts, read 122,418 times
i've lived here in roanoke for 6 months now. i've been to richmond probably about 20 times total. roanoke is smaller, but to me - more beautiful, personable, & well thought-out. i never go to richmond but for a concert, to visit a friend, or to fly out of it. i dread the street set-up & all the riff raff along the way. i come from a smaller city/larger town, so roanoke is just the right size for me. yes, it's harder to get out of & isn't as easy to get to dc or the beach, as someone else mentioned, but the pros outweigh the cons in my eyes. i think virginia gets more & more charming the further out this way you go.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:59 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Richmond. Bigger city & close to DC. Good malls. Can go to concerts & festivals in DC area & come back home the same day.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:44 PM

93 posts, read 196,918 times
Default Roanoke

Roanoke is in the mountains and I'm a mountain guy. The Blue Ridge Parkway runs through town and Richmond can't compete with that as far as my personal preferences go.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I lived in the big city (DC Metro) and the nation's biggest city by land mass (Jax, FL). I prefer the quiet and unhurried atmosphere of Roanoke. People are nice and helpful. The city is beautiful. Crime is relatively low. Cost of living is low. You can get to where you want in 15 or less. The view is awesome. There is a sense of community here.

Richmond is large and congested. Crime is high and though they are closer to a beach, Roanoke still has Smith Mountain Lake. Though there's only a small regional airport, it's 15" away, and you can take a connector to where you want to go.

Hustle and bustle of the BIG City is overrated. Believe me. It is not worth the aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area