Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

I am going to start looking for a house here in the area. I'm torn amongst getting a house in South Roanoke, Grandin, Southwest Roanoke or Salem.

What neighborhoods do you recommend for a 4-5 (maybe 6) bedroom house (3-4 Bathrooms) with a potential for good resale, safety and nice houses? I haven't determined a budget, yet.

I wouldn't mind a nice amount of land but I am leaning towards 0.75 to 2/3 acres. I would love sidewalks but wide roads are just as good. Some place with a lot of kids around, as opposed to solely DINKs or Empty Nesters. I doubt that there are gated communities like we had in Florida. I am open to that option, though. I would like to be close to a golf course, if possible, but not necessary.

I have yet to decide if I like to live on a mountain or have a view of a mountain. If there are insights on Pros/Cons, I am open to suggestions. My buddy said they had problems with water pressure (they live on a high elevation).

Thanks for any insight, advice, etc that you may be able to help with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
We didnt look in Roanoke city or Salem, but in roanoke county the pickings for 5+ rooms were very slim. Only Vinton had one or two.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I am going to start looking for a house here in the area. I'm torn amongst getting a house in South Roanoke, Grandin, Southwest Roanoke or Salem.

What neighborhoods do you recommend for a 4-5 (maybe 6) bedroom house (3-4 Bathrooms) with a potential for good resale, safety and nice houses? I haven't determined a budget, yet.

I wouldn't mind a nice amount of land but I am leaning towards 0.75 to 2/3 acres. I would love sidewalks but wide roads are just as good. Some place with a lot of kids around, as opposed to solely DINKs or Empty Nesters. I doubt that there are gated communities like we had in Florida. I am open to that option, though. I would like to be close to a golf course, if possible, but not necessary.

I have yet to decide if I like to live on a mountain or have a view of a mountain. If there are insights on Pros/Cons, I am open to suggestions. My buddy said they had problems with water pressure (they live on a high elevation).

Thanks for any insight, advice, etc that you may be able to help with.

Some of your preferences are contradictory here. SoRo, OSW, and Grandin are pretty much urban-sized lots (1/4 acre give or take) with sidewalks, you won't find extra land and wide boulevards in the city. Salem (and Roanoke County, which you didn't mention) will likely give you more options with land. The areas you mention all have a decent mix of families & empty nesters as well as renters -- in general Roanoke seems to be in transition from old to new again.

My preference is to look at the mountains rather than be in them, as I want a flat yard to play in & I like to walk as much as possible.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM

I don't know what I want, yet. I am just throwing locations out. I like the mountains in S Roanoke.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:35 AM

126 posts, read 324,366 times
You seem to have so many options, you really need to visit and have a realtor take you around to see some places. Do you have kids? If so, what ages? SW Co schools are the best in the area (in my opinon, feel free to read my earlier posts for details) but, if you want architectural details, you will have better luck in Roanoke city.

As for safety, if you stay away from the city houses on Patterson St and that surrounding area, you should be okay. Especially if you don't have children.

You won't find sidewalks in the county. But the streets are plenty wide and not much traffic to worry about their absence.

Really, you need to come down here and check the areas out so you know what you want/don't want.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM

This afternoon, we went with our agent. I liked Hunting Hills area, Hidden Valley region, some parts of Roanoke city.

I liked SW County the most.

Nice thing about the city is that most places have a good view.

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM

126 posts, read 324,366 times
Great to hear you had some positive reactions! So, have you made the decision to move here?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM

I live here, now. Just renting. Great place to be and wonderful people!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 AM

39 posts, read 107,988 times
Default Resale

What I have found in the last couple moves is that new houses are often less desirable for resale because you can usually find a "brand new" house down the street for the same money. If you move into the county with newer homes, you might find yourself in a situation with lots of houses just like yours being on the market at the same time that have never been lived in.

I have found many people are eager to move back toward the core of cities for quality of life. This is especially true for people moving from large urban areas where they couldn't afford to be close in and grew tired of traffic and commutes. These are also often the people with the largest budgets and most often can afford to buy your four or five bedroom house.

Established neighborhoods in older established communities seem to have fewer homes at any given time because new ones aren't being built. What I have noticed in South Roanoke are houses going on the market and within days, a "SOLD" sign going up. Others might sit for months but I rarely see this in South Roanoke.

I also agree with the poster who prefers flat property. We have friends who have wonderful views but they have to drive to get to a place to walk. It's important for us to have our kids get around on foot or bike without needing rides to everything.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: