Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 AM

12 posts, read 21,911 times

Advertisements

Who is a good realtor to talk to about renting a home in Roanoke?

Or do you guys have any good apartment suggestions? I current live out of state in a apartment complex that is considered luxury apartments, so I like nice new apartments...not ones that have been lived in by people for over 20 years.

Also...how safe really is Roanoke? I have heard a lot of mixed reviews that it is a really rough city, others say it's all hype and that it is really safe? Anybody can give me some good insight.

Finally, if there are less than safe areas in town...where are they? Where are the area's to stay out of when looking for housing, and where are the best area's to live.

Thanks in advance for all the advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:24 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJeremy View Post
Who is a good realtor to talk to about renting a home in Roanoke?
Google search will turn up the movers and shakers

Quote:
Or do you guys have any good apartment suggestions? I current live out of state in a apartment complex that is considered luxury apartments, so I like nice new apartments...not ones that have been lived in by people for over 20 years.
Check out the lofts around town...Cotton Mill, etc.

Quote:
Also...how safe really is Roanoke? I have heard a lot of mixed reviews that it is a really rough city, others say it's all hype and that it is really safe? Anybody can give me some good insight.
Roanoke is about the safest place I've ever lived. "Rough"? That is laughable.
Quote:
Finally, if there are less than safe areas in town...where are they? Where are the area's to stay out of when looking for housing, and where are the best area's to live.
Sounds like you would like parts of downtown, SW, Grandin and Raleigh Court areas. You might not like parts of NW and various little pockets along the railway.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I,, too, lived in "luxury apartments" for many years. The newest apartments in Roanoke are downtown. Well, the insides are new anyway. They are small and expensive. If you decide to rent one of those you won't need a realtor, just persistence, as some of them don't return phone calls for months when they're all leased up. When I moved here 3 months ago, I decided on renting a large old house which has a lot more character and space. That said, if you read through the forums your questions have been answered at least once already.

BTW, I found the rental market to be very tight in Roanoke. Not like where I'm from, where you could easily find many desirable rentals with minimal effort. Here, the best places go quickly so you have to invest a lot of time and be willing to act fast.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
Tanglewood mall area & electric road is also pretty good. Some of the decent apartments around these areas are The Pines, Stone Brook, Honeywood, Sunscape, Pebble Creek.
I think you will like Sunscape the best as they are considered luxurious.
Roanoke is definitely not 'rough'

Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
I found the rental market to be very tight in Roanoke. Not like where I'm from, where you could easily find many desirable rentals with minimal effort. Here, the best places go quickly so you have to invest a lot of time and be willing to act fast.
Just wanted to add something to this good post. I've said it before and I'll say it again... a majority of the good available rentals in the Roanoke area are going to be found by driving the area and looking for "for rent" signs.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 AM

12 posts, read 21,911 times
j1n...the problem is when I get in the area, I'm going to have all my stuff...so I need to find a place before I get there.

I've came down to either trying to find a home rental in the Grandin and Raleigh Court areas, or one of these apartments = Cotton Mills, Lofts at West Station, Sunscape, or Glade Creek.

Thanks for the input so far.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM
j1n

Quote:
j1n...the problem is when I get in the area, I'm going to have all my stuff...so I need to find a place before I get there.

I've came down to either trying to find a home rental in the Grandin and Raleigh Court areas, or one of these apartments = Cotton Mills, Lofts at West Station, Sunscape, or Glade Creek.

I feel your pain. It is a unique area in that way. The upside is that many places will give you a 6 month lease. So even if the place isn't perfect, it will give you a base of operations from which to explore.
Not sure what the rent is like, but the Cotton Mill lofts are really nice. Friends rented one for awhile, and it was sweeeeet. Exposed ductwork and stuff... really cool. Plus it's right next door to the Jefferson Center for concerts and stuff, about 100 feet from Fork In The City for grub and drinks, and a short walk to downtown.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Home Rentals

May I suggest using Long and Foster Realtors? They have a variety of homes in the area.
Real Estate | Long & Foster Companies
Try calling them at 540-772-8885. Good Luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:

You would probably do fine with any of those choices, but it depends what you want from your location. Where will your job be? Do you want to walk/bike to work?

Cotton Mills & Lofts at West Station are in the city, walkable to downtown, urban.

A home in Grandin/Raleigh Court is walkable to a nice little village with a few restaurants, movie theater, co-op but quiet @ night, lots of dogs & kids. There are also apartments in that area but they're not advertised. Here's one on the second floor right on Grandin Road.

Sunscape/Glade Creek are more suburban, apartment complexes that have pools, families, lots of green space, and you need a car to get anywhere. They're at opposite ends of town so where you work might have some bearing on your choices (Orange Ave. can get congested at rush hour.)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:40 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I held a place at Glade Creek but decided I wanted more space. It's your typical four white walls box apartment -- nice enough, but in the middle of nothing.

Cotton Mill is in a good spot, called them for months but they didn't have any 2-BR apts available in my time frame (August/September).

I called Sunscape but they didn't have availability in the size that I wanted, and the Orchards snootily told me that they were running a waiting list.

I'm in Grandin Village and really enjoy it. The people are nice, like headnsouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area