Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 PM

60 posts, read 104,099 times

Advertisements

I have spent quite a bit of time researching the area, and reading endless threads about life in Roanoke. While most seem to be fiercely passionate about the area, a lot of those same people have specific things they feel are missing, that would greatly benefit their lifestyle or the city in general. I thought it would be fun/interesting to compile a list of those things, and find out how many feel the same way. Especially interesting to me, is that a number of people feel that its a great place to raise a family, but it's hard to keep the young adults in town after graduation.

Whether it be dining options, art galleries, recreational facilities, shopping, or arcades! I want to know...what'll it be Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 03:39 PM

523 posts, read 654,584 times
I'm one of the people that really do enjoy this area, with the natural beauty, slower pace of life, lower cost of living, etc. For its size the area has just about everything (in my opinion), but I'll go in to a little more detail below.

I think dining options are a particular strong point here. The area has most fast food and casual restaurants that you can find anywhere. There are also a good amount of independent and local restaurants around. The downtown area is primarily chain restaurant free, so there are many great local places there. You might have already seen this, but here is a good link for food (and everything) downtown:

Restaurants | Dining | Downtown Roanoke, VA

I may not be the best to tell you about shopping, but for the most part, I have had luck finding pretty much anything I want here. Stores such as Banana Republic, Costco, Ikea aren't here, but people really shouldn't expect them for a city this size. There is a new development planned in the next few years that might bring in some stores that aren't here currently.

Also, here's a link that shows some of the top business/retail stories of the year:

http://blogs.roanoke.com/storefront/...ries-for-2011/

For recreation, there is a new rec. center that opened a couple years ago, coupled with a water park, that is pretty nice. Other than that, not sure. I do know, however, that there are countless places to walk, bike, and hike around here, plus you have the lake about 30 miles away to enjoy.

Overall, the area is a very nice place to live and also has some of the friendliest people (in my opinion). For young adults leaving, that may be so, but I think there have been some strives recently to keep them here. The area has grown in a way that it is not exploding, but new development and construction is noticeable. I'm sure you will enjoy it here, but I hope this helps a bit for what you can expect.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM

39 posts, read 108,024 times
Default Really?

I find your comment very interesting. I moved here a couple years ago and I'm amazed at the number of people who I've met who couldn't wait to get back to Roanoke. It's very odd actually. I rarely find anyone who didn't grow up here, move away to college (sometimes not far -- Blacksburg or Charlottesville) and then lived in DC, Boston, Chicago, etc. until they got an opportunity to come back. It's almost like they did their time in the big city until they got some experience that would land them a job in Roanoke.

I was just speaking with a physician who visited numerous cities (really nice places) looking for a residency but ended up coming back home because she nor her husband could imagine not raising their future family here.

It's a story I hear over and over and over.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
A four year public university specializing in education and healthcare.

Virginia Tech and Radford are really too far for a round trip daily schedule.

The higher education center is....confusing to say the least.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryinToSeeTheWorld View Post
I find your comment very interesting. I moved here a couple years ago and I'm amazed at the number of people who I've met who couldn't wait to get back to Roanoke. It's very odd actually. I rarely find anyone who didn't grow up here, move away to college (sometimes not far -- Blacksburg or Charlottesville) and then lived in DC, Boston, Chicago, etc. until they got an opportunity to come back. It's almost like they did their time in the big city until they got some experience that would land them a job in Roanoke.

I was just speaking with a physician who visited numerous cities (really nice places) looking for a residency but ended up coming back home because she nor her husband could imagine not raising their future family here.

It's a story I hear over and over and over.
I agree, and it's really the main reason I asked this question. We are looking hard at relocating to the area for the specific reason that we feel it is a better place for our kids to grow up than our current location. Call me selfish, but I want to keep my kids close to home forever! I think it would be great for them to be able to grow up in the community, attend college locally, start their lives as young adults, and eventually raise their own families in the same community they grew up in.

It would be great if some of the folks who have left, and come back to raise their families would chime in on this thread!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I lived in Roanoke as a child (probably age 4-7) and moved back 6 months ago at age 41. I spent 98% of the interim living in Fairfax, VA. I didn't always aspire to live in Roanoke; however, my parents retired to Smith Mountain Lake 3 years ago and in coming to the area to visit, the area rather capitvated me with its unique charms. I've made some sacrifices (salary, career level) to live here, and I'm still evaluating whether the move will be permanent.

The biggest thing missing for me is shopping choices. Living in Northern Virginia I had access to all the best options for shopping for anything from groceries to clothing to wine (I have yet to find my favorite wine locally). I don't have children so I cannot comment on the education system, and since my only experience is one of the top education systems in the country, it wouldn't be fair to compare anyway.

In terms of keeping young people in the area, it would be nearly impossible for Roanoke to compete with larger cities that offer a wider range of experiences with the chance to meet and interact with a broader section of the population. However, it depends on priorities; for example, outdoors enthusiasts are obviously attracted to Roanoke. There was an interesting article in a recent issue of Roanoker magazine with Bonz Hart of Meridium on the cover. In the story, he talks about how he recruits/attracts college grads to Roanoke to work for his company.

I'm still unclear about the people here, I haven't made a good effort to meet people.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:05 AM

216 posts, read 421,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
A four year public university specializing in education and healthcare.

Virginia Tech and Radford are really too far for a round trip daily schedule.

The higher education center is....confusing to say the least.

Disagree. My wife made the commute from downtown Roanoke to Radford to complete her masters degree for 2 years. While not the easiest choice, we made it work.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
The biggest thing missing for me is shopping choices. Living in Northern Virginia I had access to all the best options for shopping for anything from groceries to clothing to wine (I have yet to find my favorite wine locally).
Ok, now we are getting somewhere!

I have read other posts that say similiar things about shopping options, particularly grocers. Looked into the wine situation a bit, and it does look like there are a couple of mom and pop stores, and I'm sure Kroger has the usual suspects. Nothing like Wine Warehouse, or some of the other big retailers we have in our area.

While we are talking wine, I might as well give a suggestion of one that has made my fav's list....Beronia Reserva Rioja 2005. If anyone tries it, let me know what you think!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
I live in TX - and lived for several years in Houston - and now in a town of 4,000 or so....contemplating retirement to Roanoke.

Comparing shopping opportunities between Houston and Roanoke...of course no comparison.

But comparing shopping opportunities between Roanoke and my little town now...def no comparison!!

Fresh Market and the Natural Foods Co-op are huge in my book...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
Grocers and favorite wines are way overrated. If you would prefer to live in No. Virginia or some other huge urban area just because they have a couple more grocery chains or wider selection of wines, or more or this, or more selection of that, you probably are better off living there than Roanoke. Roanoke provides other advantages that NOVA and other big cities do not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area